The Student Room Group

Law path way

Hi, so I’m studying a level 3 diploma in Business and I would like to go into Law and become a lawyer but I wanted to know if I would have trouble getting in I have resat a few of my GCSEs. I have a 4 in English Language and English Literature, 4/4 in Science, and a 3 in Maths and I resat English language but instead of a GCSE it was a IGCSE it was a decision I made literally a few weeks before the exams to take and so I didn’t have much time to revise meaning that I got a 2. I’m predicted to achieve D*DD. Would any of these numbers prevent me from becoming a lawyer.
Hi there,

If you would like to become a solicitor, for example, you will have to complete the SQE (Solicitor Qualifying Exam), which requires you to have completed a degree or an equivalent qualification (doesn't have to be a law degree), but you must have completed at least 2 years of work experience within the legal field.

I would highly recommend attending open days and visiting the law department. Most lecturers tend to have practiced as solicitors or barristers, hence they will give you a detailed insight on how you can become a solicitor or a barrister in the UK.

If I was you, I would also begin by attending networking events and connecting with lawyers or anyone working in the law field. I understand you may be worried about your grades, so the best thing to do at this point is to start reading about law and understanding the basics of law, and understand the English legal system. If you can demonstrate that your passionate about law, then that's great. You want to make yourself likeable. Additionally, look for work placements to complete or summer internships or simply work shadow in a law firm.

Here are some websites you can have a look at but not limited to:

- eventbrite
- legalcheeck
- ratemyplacement
- brightnetwork
- University of Law (they host a lot of events)

Also contact your local firm and ask them if you can simply work shadow.

I hope this helps.

Best wishes,
Narusha
Coventry University Student Ambassador
Reply 2
Original post by Coventry University Student Ambassadors
Hi there,

If you would like to become a solicitor, for example, you will have to complete the SQE (Solicitor Qualifying Exam), which requires you to have completed a degree or an equivalent qualification (doesn't have to be a law degree), but you must have completed at least 2 years of work experience within the legal field.

I would highly recommend attending open days and visiting the law department. Most lecturers tend to have practiced as solicitors or barristers, hence they will give you a detailed insight on how you can become a solicitor or a barrister in the UK.

If I was you, I would also begin by attending networking events and connecting with lawyers or anyone working in the law field. I understand you may be worried about your grades, so the best thing to do at this point is to start reading about law and understanding the basics of law, and understand the English legal system. If you can demonstrate that your passionate about law, then that's great. You want to make yourself likeable. Additionally, look for work placements to complete or summer internships or simply work shadow in a law firm.

Here are some websites you can have a look at but not limited to:

- eventbrite
- legalcheeck
- ratemyplacement
- brightnetwork
- University of Law (they host a lot of events)

Also contact your local firm and ask them if you can simply work shadow.

I hope this helps.

Best wishes,
Narusha
Coventry University Student Ambassador

Hi, thanks for your reply. Would any of the grades above effect my chances of getting into university or becoming a lawyer?
I wouldn't think so. However, it depends if you are aiming to attend a reputational university. If not, you'll be fine. Some universities will accept you either based on your UCAS points or A-level grades. It depends. I would suggest calling up the university.
Original post by Abbs23-
Hi, so I’m studying a level 3 diploma in Business and I would like to go into Law and become a lawyer but I wanted to know if I would have trouble getting in I have resat a few of my GCSEs. I have a 4 in English Language and English Literature, 4/4 in Science, and a 3 in Maths and I resat English language but instead of a GCSE it was a IGCSE it was a decision I made literally a few weeks before the exams to take and so I didn’t have much time to revise meaning that I got a 2. I’m predicted to achieve D*DD. Would any of these numbers prevent me from becoming a lawyer.

Hi @Abbs23-

To study law at the University of Law, you only need to have a 4 in GCSE English and that is the only GCSE requirement (so your 4 in English Lit is fine!). For your diploma grades you would need DDM :smile:

I hope this helps and good luck!

Sophie

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending