The Student Room Group

Aberdeen vs Glasgow vs Edinburgh vs St. Andrews

I yesterday received my IB results and found that I surpassed the entry requirements to get into Aberdeen, and could qualify to enter any of the Universities listed in the title. I applied for psychology Bsc course, and am now considering Using Adjustments to see if there are spots available in any of the other Unis.

I suppose my question goes to those who have studied psychology in any of these Unis, and what your experiences have been. I'm unsure whether (if I even found another place at another Uni) I should give up my spot at Aberdeen to go.
I think that Glasgow or Edinburgh might be nicer cities to live in, but Aberdeen might be nicer than a small town like st. Andrews.
It seems like student satisfaction is higher at Glasgow and Edinburgh, as well as the teaching. But I don't know how much difference it makes.

Basically any information about the University/people/city/teaching that you've experienced would be awesome.
I will be moving from Sweden btw.

TY!
Original post by Izu
I yesterday received my IB results and found that I surpassed the entry requirements to get into Aberdeen, and could qualify to enter any of the Universities listed in the title. I applied for psychology Bsc course, and am now considering Using Adjustments to see if there are spots available in any of the other Unis.

I suppose my question goes to those who have studied psychology in any of these Unis, and what your experiences have been. I'm unsure whether (if I even found another place at another Uni) I should give up my spot at Aberdeen to go.
I think that Glasgow or Edinburgh might be nicer cities to live in, but Aberdeen might be nicer than a small town like st. Andrews.
It seems like student satisfaction is higher at Glasgow and Edinburgh, as well as the teaching. But I don't know how much difference it makes.

Basically any information about the University/people/city/teaching that you've experienced would be awesome.

TY!

Are you sure those other unis accept students via adjustment? I only know that St Andrews is world class for comparative (animal) psychology, but is a bit isolated/small as a city. In terms of prestige i think SA/Edinbourgh look good on a CV--- i think i've heard some bad things about Glasgow teaching on TSR (something about having too many undergraduate students), although i might be getting confused between scottish unis.
Reply 2
Original post by Izu

TY!

Hey :smile: I just graduated with Psychology from Glasgow Uni, if you have any questions give me a shout :smile: I can mostly say super positive things about the course and the department, my experience was amazing but it is true that there are a lot of people on the course. Unfortunately, this is the case because the University admits more people than spaces available for honours levels and the School of Psychology has to find a way to decrease the numbers of students. So, you have to pass your second year with a high B in order to get into the actual honours years. Actually that's why we went down on the league tables this year, because most students were unhappy with the harder exams and the department, although it's actually the uni's fault. But if you really want to study Psychology and are motivated and enthusiastic about the subject, you will have an awesome time in Glasgow :smile: I don't think I can recommend the course enough, you are taught by world leaders in their research area and this is such an amazing opportunity that you rarely get at other unis + you can actually work with these researchers in the honurs levels :smile:

Again - the course is amazing, the department is super supportive but you have to put a lot of effort. Good luck! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest