The Student Room Group

Conservatives scrap maintenance grant, tuition fees will rise with inflation

Scroll to see replies

I'm sick of this. There is absolutely no way you can possibly justify this. There are so many other countries with highly successful university systems that provide heavily subsidised or even free university education - so why are we going in the complete opposite direction? Of course, that's a rhetorical question because we all know the answer. A generation is being screwed over and some very happy people are profiting off this.

Stop viewing education as a commodity. Get rid of that Victorian belief and step into the same century as most other progressive countries have managed to do. It's absolutely insane that a generation of students are going to be saddled with debt that the majority are never going to be able to repay just because this government is more interested in siphoning public money off to private companies under the name of "efficiency" and "austerity" rather than actually improving the welfare of its people.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by ForgottenApple
Think by definition it has to be

You're assuming nothing's going to change in terms of student numbers, successful graduates and contributors to the public purse over the next generation.
It's not that bad. It's not like they said we are changing the student loan system so that you have to start paying the loan back asap like in America. That would be mad lol
Original post by rockrunride
You're assuming nothing's going to change in terms of student numbers, successful graduates and contributors to the public purse over the next generation.

Sorry people aren't able to play the benefits system?
These kind of people are not generous.
New students only!! Hahahahaha

Reply 85
Original post by cake_lover
"How dare those from poorer backgrounds have opportunities!"

Hate the conservatives with a passion, why tf did people vote for them :colonhash:

They are better than labour.
All they want to do is fund the social lives of the workshy and feckless.
Reply 86
If they are axing grants, surely they will increase the maintenance loan amount? (doesn't effect me but I think this is wrong).

The biggest problem lies at masters level - ridicuously expensive courses and very little funding. I know the tories are introducing a masters loan for 2016 but the conditions are different to student loans and will probably be equivalent to credit debt..
Original post by tomicb
If they are axing grants, surely they will increase the maintenance loan amount? (doesn't effect me but I think this is wrong).

The biggest problem lies at masters level - ridicuously expensive courses and very little funding. I know the tories are introducing a masters loan for 2016 but the conditions are different to student loans and will probably be equivalent to credit debt..

That is correct. All they are doing is shifting it from a grant to a loan (and the loan you can get has been increased)
I start uni this year. Does this mean that from next year I will have my grant replaced with a loan or does this only apply to people starting a three year degree from 16/17?
Reply 89
To all the students who voted tory... you guys happy now? Extra debt for students from 2016/2017...

It's pathetic from the tories, giving new students 10k more debt + interest, while saying that it's for a better future and using Greece's economic situation as an excuse. It'll only make it harder for the poorest students to get out of the poverty loop.
Original post by kingoftheting
I start uni this year. Does this mean that from next year I will have my grant replaced with a loan or does this only apply to people starting a three year degree from 16/17?

You'll still get grants, this change is for new students starting Sept16.
Reply 91
Original post by kingoftheting

You apply for student finance on a year to year basis, so it affect those who apply for student finance from next year. That includes first year students who will be going into their second year and second year students going into the third year.
Original post by PGtips
You apply for student finance on a year to year basis, so it affect those who apply for student finance from next year. That includes first year students who will be going into their second year and second year students going into the third year.

Wrong. It's being implemented like the tuition fee rise. Returning students of Sept16 will remain on the old system.
Here.
I think this will make the majority of university students feel less cheated. I know people who cheat the system and get full grants whilst still being fully supported by a parent they do not live with, now they will have to pay it back. I'm from a family who earn just above the threshold for any grant or anything above the minimum loan, but my parents don't have the cash to support me, they're busy saving for their own pensions and paying the mortgage. I have had to save by myself for two years to be able to afford uni, so I think it is much fairer that everyone will be in the same boat rather than the middle income/middle class students being burdened by no grant and no parental support.
Reply 95
Original post by _Morsey_
That is correct. All they are doing is shifting it from a grant to a loan (and the loan you can get has been increased)

In that case I still don't think it's right but it isn't a huge deal. £40,000 student debt or £50,000 debt... what's the difference....
Original post by cake_lover
"How dare those from poorer backgrounds have opportunities!"

Hate the conservatives with a passion, why tf did people vote for them :colonhash:

Oh, yes, voting Tory was very popular on TSR. I bet many of those who voted for them are kicking themselves now. Serves them right.
So maintenance grants to be changed to loans for 16/17 uni entry for NEW STUDENTS. Does that not include those who are already at uni?

edit: nevermind, just read through the comments
(edited 8 years ago)
Good. Further and Higher Education is a choice, not a right.

Plus who honestly wants to learn with the smelly peasants,
Original post by scrunkie
So maintenance grants to be changed to loans for 16/17 uni entry for NEW STUDENTS. Does that not include those who are already at uni?

BBC News said new students from 16/17.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending