The Student Room Group

Second degree funding

Hi

I had a one year student finance for my last year of the bachelor degree in 2014/15 and then I did Masters on scholarship in 15/16. Will I be able to get funding for second degree in Medical or Dentistry or Social work ?

Regards
Original post by zac88
Hi

I had a one year student finance for my last year of the bachelor degree in 2014/15 and then I did Masters on scholarship in 15/16. Will I be able to get funding for second degree in Medical or Dentistry or Social work ?

Regards

Hi Zac. Usually you would not be entitled to further funding if you already hold an honours degree and wish to study another. However, students who already have a degree will be eligible for maintenance support only (Maintenance Loan as well as supplementary grants and/or Disabled Students Allowance where applicable) if they undertake an exception course.*

[start]You will be eligible if you start a new course leading to a qualification as*a Medical Doctor, Dentist or Social Worker.[/start]

[start]You would not eligible to a tuition fee loan unless studying on a Graduate entry medicine or dentistry course.[/start]

[start]Thanks, Leah. [/start]

Thanks, Leah.
Reply 2
Original post by Leah SLC
Hi Zac. Usually you would not be entitled to further funding if you already hold an honours degree and wish to study another. However, students who already have a degree will be eligible for maintenance support only (Maintenance Loan as well as supplementary grants and/or Disabled Students Allowance where applicable) if they undertake an exception course.*
[start]You will be eligible if you start a new course leading to a qualification as*a Medical Doctor, Dentist or Social Worker.[/start]
[start]You would not eligible to a tuition fee loan unless studying on a Graduate entry medicine or dentistry course.[/start]
Thanks, Leah.
Thanks for replying and sorry for late reply.

Can you confirm if I chose a normal entry I would only get maintenance funding but no tuition fee support ?

Regards
Reply 3
Original post by Leah SLC
Thanks, Leah.
Hi

Also can you confirm if this course https://www.nottingham.ac.uk/studywithus/ugstudy/courses/UG/Graduate-Entry-Medicine-BMBS-U6UGRDEM1.html
Is eligible for tuition fee loan as a second degree ?

Regards
Original post by zac88
Hi
Also can you confirm if this course https://www.nottingham.ac.uk/studywithus/ugstudy/courses/UG/Graduate-Entry-Medicine-BMBS-U6UGRDEM1.html
Regards
Hi Zac,

I'm unable to click on the link. Can you confirm the course name and university and we can check this for you. Thanks, Jason
Reply 5
Original post by zac88
Hi
Regards
Hi

It's Bachelor of Medicine and Bachelor of Surgery UCAS CODE A101 from university of Nottingham

Regards
Thank you. Just to confirm, both of these would be Full Time courses? Thanks, David
Reply 7
Original post by David SLC
Thank you. Just to confirm, both of these would be Full Time courses? Thanks, David
Yes
Original post by zac88
Yes
Thank you Zac. When would you be looking to start the course? Thanks, David
Reply 9
Thank you Zac. When would you be looking to start the course? Thanks, David

This year 2024.
Thank you Zac. Yes, for this course under the details you provided you would be eligible for Maintenance Loan only and not the Tuition Fee. The applications are open now for this year so you can apply online to get a decision now and the applications are taking around 6-8 weeks. Thanks, David
Reply 11
Thank you Zac. Yes, for this course under the details you provided you would be eligible for Maintenance Loan only and not the Tuition Fee. The applications are open now for this year so you can apply online to get a decision now and the applications are taking around 6-8 weeks. Thanks, David

Hi David but my understanding was that I would get tuition fee loan if the course is a graduate entry course. And only non graduate entry course would allow maintenance loan only but here I'm getting conflicting advice.

Regards
Hi Zac,

Yes as the course is Graduate Entry Medicine you will be eligible to apply for the Tuition Fee Loan as well as the Maintenance Loan.

Year 1: Fees Tuition Fee Loan of up to £5,785 Fees Self fund £3,465 Maintenance Loan Type Full
Years 2-4: Fees - Tuition Fee Loan Loan of up to £5,535 NHS pay first £3,715 Maintenance Loan Type Reduced Rate Maintenance Loan

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending