The Student Room Group

Doing grad medicine?

Just completed my first 3 year UG degree in biomedicine and have fortunately got a place next year to do a 4 year grad medicine degree. I have a couple questions that I'd love for some help on please?

- Is Grad medicine considered a undergrad or postgraduate degree to SFE?

- I will be living outside of London and not living with parents, I will be on campus. What is the most amount of maintenance loan I will be eligible for? Will it be £9,978?

- my parents also do not make much salary wise, so I have applied for the means tested maintenance loan. May I ask how does that work? I have submitted their yearly income and their national insurance number. Do you guys contact HMRC to see if their yearly income matches with what is in their national insurance number? Furthermore, the dependants page, what is this asking for? Is it just asking for my siblings who still go to GCSE and A-Level?

- Also, my degree course will be 43 weeks long (as stated by the university themselves), will I be eligible for the long courses loan? If so, do I need to apply for it like I have applied for tuition fees & maintenance loan or is it an automatic thing? Also, I'm aware that in Yr2-4, the maintenance loan drops to a Reduced Rate Maintenance Loan, is this the same for the long courses loan? even though the course will still be 43 weeks every year?
Original post by anon12349323
Just completed my first 3 year UG degree in biomedicine and have fortunately got a place next year to do a 4 year grad medicine degree. I have a couple questions that I'd love for some help on please?

- Is Grad medicine considered a undergrad or postgraduate degree to SFE?

- I will be living outside of London and not living with parents, I will be on campus. What is the most amount of maintenance loan I will be eligible for? Will it be £9,978?

- my parents also do not make much salary wise, so I have applied for the means tested maintenance loan. May I ask how does that work? I have submitted their yearly income and their national insurance number. Do you guys contact HMRC to see if their yearly income matches with what is in their national insurance number? Furthermore, the dependants page, what is this asking for? Is it just asking for my siblings who still go to GCSE and A-Level?

- Also, my degree course will be 43 weeks long (as stated by the university themselves), will I be eligible for the long courses loan? If so, do I need to apply for it like I have applied for tuition fees & maintenance loan or is it an automatic thing? Also, I'm aware that in Yr2-4, the maintenance loan drops to a Reduced Rate Maintenance Loan, is this the same for the long courses loan? even though the course will still be 43 weeks every year?

Hi there,

Graduate entry medicine is undergraduate funded. The funding for this is outlined below:
Year 1 The student will have to self fund the first £3,465, however a tuition fee loan will be available for the remainder of up to £5,785.

Years 2-4 - The first £3,715 will be paid by the Department of Health and a tuition fee loan will be available for the remainder of up to £5,535.

If they want a tuition fee loan they need to confirm the amount they want to borrow on the Loan Request Form.

Maintenance Funding
Year 1 The student can apply for a Full Means Tested Maintenance Loan and Supplementary Grants, They are not eligible for a Maintenance Grant.

Years 2-4 The student can apply for the Income Assessed NHS Bursary and Supplementary Grants from the NHS. They can only apply to SFE for a Reduced Rate Maintenance Loan.

If they are studying a Graduate Entry Medical course that is 5 years long then this will be funded in the same way as an Undergraduate Entry Medical or Dental Course.

If the household income is £25,000 or below then the maximum amount of funding available for Maintenance Loan would be £9,978. If the household income is above this then the team would calculate how much funding you are entitled to receive once the application has been reviewed.

If your parents have provided their financial information in support of your application the team will review this and will be in contact with you to confirm the funding you are entitled to received.

The Long Course Loan is automatically assessed for when the application is reviewed and the team will outline the funding you have been awarded once the application is assessed.

You can view the estimated date for this to be reviewed on your online account under the application tracker. You can find out how to view this here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8a4p4IP1lzo

Thanks, Karen

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending