The Student Room Group

Speeding tickets in hire car.

I was involved in an not fault car accident. I was placed into hire car, and currently suffering injuries and mental health issues.

I recently received two speeding tickets on the same road but on two different days 20th and 22nd June 2015 and roughly both at the same time. I was speeding at 71 and 74 MPH on a 60MPH road.

I have to pay £35 admin fee for each ticket to the rental company.

However the truth is that the road changes into a single carriageway from a dual and at the section it changes in to a single carriageway their is a camera at that point, unfortunately i thought i was doing 60MPH but apparently not.

I had a speeding ticket a few months ago and opted to do the speed aware course.

I could face losing my lenience as i past less then 2 years ago, but my major concern is i am dependent on my car, as i use it to commute from university and home, and also its the only car in the household, so i help my parents with shopping, appointments etc.

Is their anything i can do as genuinely didn't know i was over speeding

Scroll to see replies

There are grounds for contesting a speeding ticket. They seem to call it Guilty with Mitigating Circumstances. Have a look here for more information

http://www.which.co.uk/cars/driving/driving-advice/dealing-with-speeding-tickets/how-to-contest-a-speeding-ticket/
Say goodbye to your license,
sorry that you had a "no fault accident"
BUT
the whole first section has nothing to do with the fact that you were caught speeding.

how did you not realise that you were speeding?
"I didn't see the sign" is hardly an excuse.

You were speeding on a road that you'd had an accident on?
Most people would have been more cautious

One of the conditions that you agree to when hiring a car is to pay a handling charge for tickets - otherwise the overall cost goes up and we all pay for your mistakes.
Reply 4
Thanks for the info what happen when I apply for new insurance? Do I have to declare my licence was revoked ?
Reply 5
No not the road I had an accident on but another road.
Reply 6
Original post by RoundTrip
They won't care that you didn't know, that isn't the point. Getting caught speeding 3 times in a few months AND being involved in a crash even if you managed to avoid blame (im sceptical) is ****ing DUMB. You deserve to be off the road.

"Even if you managed to avoid blame" it was a rear end crash. Why you crying for? Unfortunately you wish wouldn't come true as I am able to retake the test and theory which can be easily achieved within a week or two. See you on the road :smile:
Good old credit hire. Some poor bod is probably trying to defend against a very aggressive hire company pulling all the tricks to extract as much money as possible out of what is meant to be a tort claim...

Answering the question, speeding is a petty offence admittedly, but don't accidents make you hypervigilant?
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 8
Original post by rockrunride
Good old credit hire. Some poor bod is probably trying to defend against a very aggressive hire company pulling all the tricks to extract as much money as possible out of what is meant to be a tort claim...

Answering the question, speeding is a petty offence admittedly, but don't accidents make you hypervigilant?

Luckily I don't have to pay for the hire however a £70 admin fee for sending the speeding ticket to my address.
Original post by Akpatel94
"Even if you managed to avoid blame" it was a rear end crash. Why you crying for? Unfortunately you wish wouldn't come true as I am able to retake the test and theory which can be easily achieved within a week or two. See you on the road :smile:

Funny how I've never been rear ended in 6 years of driving, nor do I know anyone who has been including people with 40+ years of driving. Yet you with your massive 3 months of experience are the exception? If you drive like a **** (which I suspect you do) people are more likely to crash into you.

You won't. :smile:
Reply 10
Original post by RoundTrip
Funny how I've never been rear ended in 6 years of driving, nor do I know anyone who has been including people with 40+ years of driving. Yet you with your massive 3 months of experience are the exception? If you drive like a **** (which I suspect you do) people are more likely to crash into you.

You won't. :smile:

Car crashes happen, so when it does happen to yourself let me know. I've been driving for 9months so please get you facts right. Unfortunately you can suspect anything without seeing how I drive.

If I was such a bad driver I think I would have crashed by now.
:smile:
I was involved in an not fault car accident. I was placed into hire car, and currently suffering injuries and mental health issues.

I recently received two speeding tickets on the same road but on two different days 20th and 22nd June 2015 and roughly both at the same time. I was speeding at 71 and 74 MPH on a 60MPH road.

I have to pay £35 admin fee for each ticket to the rental company.

However the truth is that the road changes into a single carriageway from a dual and at the section it changes in to a single carriageway their is a camera at that point, unfortunately i thought i was doing 60MPH but apparently not.

I had a speeding ticket a few months ago and opted to do the speed aware course.

I could face losing my lenience as i past less then 2 years ago, but my major concern is i am dependent on my car, as i use it to commute from university and home, and also its the only car in the household, so i help my parents with shopping, appointments etc.

Is their anything i can do as genuinely didn't know i was over speeding

You're best posting on the Pepipoo forums if you want genuine advice.

http://forums.pepipoo.com/index.php?showforum=5
Reply 12
Just if anyone is wondering about the accident it's not related to the speeding tickets or the location of where I was picked up by the camera.

Accident happened on a motorway when a black 15plate bmw 320d failed to slow down in the overtaking lane. He was on a conference call and wasn't paying attention to the road ahead b
Car crashes happen, so when it does happen to yourself let me know. I've been driving for 9months so please get you facts right. Unfortunately you can suspect anything without seeing how I drive.

If I was such a bad driver I think I would have crashed by now.
:smile:

I'm afraid the evidence is pointing to the fact that you drive like a tit. I'm not the one begging for help on an internet forum because im petrified I'll lose my license. 3 speeding offences and a crash in 9 months is still a ****ing joke. I bet you do 3000 miles a year too.

Have fun being stuck a Daewoo Matiz for the next 5 years while you work to get these points removed on your license. While everyone else will be able to drive whatever they like.
What a retard. Don't worry am sure il have enough money to carry on driving my Audi A3 and pay for new insurance as fortunately my injury claim should help to pay.

And nah I've done about 8000 miles on a 10000 mile policy already.

Bet you drive a crappy car with your crappy job.

Achy neck?
I'm afraid that RoundTrip has a point about you being a bad driver.

You will need to disclose this all this on all insurance from now else you'll be committing fraud.

When you reapply for your new provisional license the points will be added onto that and it'll be easy for the insurance companies to take the dvla system to verify your point history.
Reply 16
Original post by rockrunride
Achy neck?

Was in hospital for 2 weeks as it was a 80MPH rear end crash, fractured neck back legs arms, head injury, also carry 2 passengers we was all admitted to hospital and was their for about 2 weeks.
Reply 17
Original post by SonicOfPron
I'm afraid that RoundTrip has a point about you being a bad driver.

You will need to disclose this all this on all insurance from now else you'll be committing fraud.

When you reapply for your new provisional license the points will be added onto that and it'll be easy for the insurance companies to take the dvla system to verify your point history.

No worries anyways will see what happens luckily am in uni for a few more years as I study dentistry. Prove insure my self again after 5years
Was in hospital for 2 weeks as it was a 80MPH rear end crash, fractured neck back legs arms, head injury, also carry 2 passengers we was all admitted to hospital and was their for about 2 weeks.

So given you are still in the hire car given to you while your car is being mended/replaced I assume the accident was quite recent?

If you suffered a fractured neck, back legs and arms I doubt you would be driving now- that would take months and months of physio to recover from.

As for the points- you got caught speeding 3 times in a mater of months- the fact that you didn't know you were speeding just makes it worse- you are hardly a god driver if you are unaware of what speed you are going.
You're a new driver and you got 3 speeding tickets in the space of a couple of months - 2 were on the same stretch of road. It's no wonder people aren't inclined to help you, you're irresponsible and a danger to other road users. Stop being so cocky, pay the fines, learn the lesson and start acting like a responsible road user. I hope you lose your licence as it'll give you a much-needed chance to grow up and learn to read roadsigns.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending