The Student Room Group

Options after Medical Engineering BEng

Hi all,

Just after some ideas. I've completed a BEng in Medical Engineering (2:1 Hons :smile: ) and I don't know what to do now. The more the course went on the more I realised I want to do medicine, it's what I enjoy and I definitely don't want to be an engineer! I took a gap year before starting the course, did a year in industry as a finite element analysis engineer, and then in the middle of my final year had eyesight orblems due to diabetes (sorted now!) so I am 24 graduating.

I have 4 A grades at A level in biology, chemistry, physics and maths (mechanics), a lot of experience dental nursing, a medical engineering degree and as part of my final year project a lot of experience in surgical testing labs/published journal papers on intravenous therapy- yet my local medical school (I'm tied in to staying in the area) wouldn't accept me on the 4 year graduate scheme, meaning if I did medicine I'd be 30 by the time I'd even graduated let alone got a job.

Has anyone here done a medical degree later in life (i.e. not embarked on it aged 18)? Is it worth it? Or can anyone think of any other career options for me that would satisfy how fascinating I find medicine?

Thanks in advance :smile:
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending