The Student Room Group

Politics or Sociology degree?

I can't choose :frown: both interest me!
I'm looking at russell group unis and they all roughly ask for AAB for these subs.

I'm currently doing Sociology, Business and Film a level.

Which is more respectable?
Are the courses similar?
What kind of job do graduates get from these degrees?
A top uni: politics or sociology.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Are you sure the A levels you are doing will get you into a RG uni?
Reply 2
Original post by Maker

I hope so >.<
they don't have any preferred subjects... they just want the grades

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Maker

What are you trying to imply here? I know a person who did English Language, Politics and Economics who got into LSE's prestigious Bsc Government course (no facilitating subjects)

I'd say go for a joint honors degree OP, so you have more breadth and career options.
Reply 4
Original post by grassntai
What are you trying to imply here? I know a person who did English Language, Politics and Economics who got into LSE's prestigious Bsc Government course (no facilitating subjects)

I'd say go for a joint honors degree OP, so you have more breadth and career options.

I am being explicit, no implication. RG unis have a list of A level subjects they prefer for their courses, if the OP is not doing the right A levels, then he needs to change them or apply to none RG unis.

I have my doubts film is an A level subject RG unis would accept for the degrees the OP wants to do.
Reply 5

thankyou ^.^
i think that guy was just implying that film studies is a rubbish subject lol. I chose the subject since i knew i would enjoy it regardless if it's facilitating or not, i mean it's better to have a good grade in that than a D in geography or whatever.
well done to your friend, do you know any details of their a levels/gcse (grades)? English language is facilitating and i think economics might be

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Maker
I am being explicit, no implication. RG unis have a list of A level subjects they prefer for their courses, if the OP is not doing the right A levels, then he needs to change them or apply to none RG unis.

I have my doubts film is an A level subject RG unis would accept for the degrees the OP wants to do.

But I have just proved to you that these preferred subject lists mean nothing for some cases, your post was uninformed and condescending.

Sociology and politics degree are not that competitive either (unless you're aiming for top 5 unis then everything is competitive anyway), he can easily get offers from RG unis for those subjects if he gets the required grades and writes a good PS. Oh and again I know someone who did Film Studies who got an offer to study English at KCL.

Original post by diamondluck
thankyou ^.^i think that guy was just implying that film studies is a rubbish subject lol. I chose the subject since i knew i would enjoy it regardless if it's facilitating or not, i mean it's better to have a good grade in that than a D in geography or whatever.well done to your friend, do you know any details of their a levels/gcse (grades)? English language is facilitating and i think economics might bePosted from TSR Mobile
Hey it's fine. He got straight A's at GCSE and no English lang, economics and politics are not facilitating a levels.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 7
But I have just proved to you that these preferred subject lists mean nothing for some cases, your post was uninformed and condescending.

Sociology and politics degree are not that competitive either (unless you're aiming for top 5 unis then everything is competitive anyway), he can easily get offers from RG unis for those subjects if he gets the required grades and writes a good PS. Oh and again I know someone who did Film Studies who got an offer to study English at KCL.

Hey it's fine. He got straight A's at GCSE and no English lang, economics and politics are not facilitating a levels.

Ah okay! lol everyone assumes I'm a guy XD oh well.
Ok hmm, i got a few As at GCSE but mostly Bs. I got As and Bs for my AS Levels ^-^ hopefully that'll be ok
Yeah i guess, they're probably seen better than my subjects though haha

Posted from TSR Mobile
Ah okay! lol everyone assumes I'm a guy XD oh well.
Ok hmm, i got a few As at GCSE but mostly Bs. I got As and Bs for my AS Levels ^-^ hopefully that'll be ok
Yeah i guess, they're probably seen better than my subjects though haha

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ignore them OP. It is better to get AAB in your subjects than BBC in three harder ones. Politics as a degree needs to be joined with another subject such as international relations for it to be useful. Sociology is a good A level but not worth taking as a degree. As a result, I would recommend politics over Sociology as a degree but only if it is a joint honours
Reply 9
Original post by Magnus Taylor
Ignore them OP. It is better to get AAB in your subjects than BBC in three harder ones. Politics as a degree needs to be joined with another subject such as international relations for it to be useful. Sociology is a good A level but not worth taking as a degree. As a result, I would recommend politics over Sociology as a degree but only if it is a joint honours

Hmm okay, some unis offer Politics with Sociology or with international relations. Why do you tbink politics alone isn't that great?? just wondering

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hmm okay, some unis offer Politics with Sociology or with international relations. Why do you tbink politics alone isn't that great?? just wondering

Posted from TSR Mobile

It doesn't carry as much weight as a degree such as History. Combining politics with another academic discipline would be more useful
Original post by Magnus Taylor

This is not true- Who exactly says Politics NEEDS to be joined with another subject to be helpful or Sociology isn't worth taking. Sweeping generalisation like this help no one .

Both of these are well respected , particularly from a Russell Group University.

It is also not true to say they are not competitive courses- at Edinburgh for example Politics is very competitive and they say that a typical offer is 3A's with a good set of GCSE's. Sociolgy is also 3 A's . If you at the admission statistics about 1 in 4 people who apply get on these courses.

My advise would be look at the content of the courses at some universities you might like to go to as it will vary from place to place. Think about what interests you in these particular areas and the reasons you like studying them. You also need to think about how you have engaged with these subjects besides studying them. Have you asked your local MP if you can visit the House of Commons, done some work experience at your local council,read widely ? You are going to be spending 3 or 4 years studying the subject so it is worth doing some research to make sure you pick well. Unfortunate on a student website you are likely to get quite a bit of other people's opinions dressed up as fct.

With regards to the Russell Group you will find useful information here:

http://www.russellgroup.org/InformedChoices-latest.pdf

Good luck with what ever you decide :smile:
But that's Edinburgh, EVERY course they offer is competitive because of the major minor system of the university and also it's one of the most prestigious and oldest university in the world.

In general it's fact single honours degree in both politics and sociology are not that competitive unless you're attempting top five, sociology and politics degree are constantly in clearing and constantly have lower entry requirement than other competitive courses like Economics and English. Don't give out misleading information when you don't know what you're talking about.

And a joint hours degree WOULD help because most sociology and politics focus on niche areas, it's better to have breadth if you're studying subjects like those.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
apparently sociology is awful for employability, so I'd suggest politics
Maybe do a joint honours and that way you won't regret not picking the other.
You can always pick one and audit modules from the other, at York there are some modules which both Politics and Sociology can take. However id avoid applying to a uni purely for the 'russell group' logo. You should apply for the courses that offer the best content cover for you. Besides there are many unis that are better than 'RG' unis. In short apply for the course thats right for you, not the most 'prestigious' because leagues change all the time, but a sound degree classification you can't go wrong with.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 16
Original post by zippity.doodah
apparently sociology is awful for employability, so I'd suggest politics

I don't think politics is near the top of the employability scale, unless its oxbridge/LSE.
Original post by Maker
I don't think politics is near the top of the employability scale, unless its oxbridge/LSE.

okay but I was only comparing sociology to politics
=.= so basically politics/sociology is worthless as i won't get a job (don't really want to be a social worker, so idk why i even like sociology now)

i can do law but it would have to be in liverpool or a low russel group uni since i can't get A*s lol. plus that course is also highly competitive... what if i come out and can't get a job?

law from liverpool vs politics from Warwick ???

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by watchingyouwatch
This is not true- Who exactly says Politics NEEDS to be joined with another subject to be helpful or Sociology isn't worth taking. Sweeping generalisation like this help no one .

Both of these are well respected , particularly from a Russell Group University.

It is also not true to say they are not competitive courses- at Edinburgh for example Politics is very competitive and they say that a typical offer is 3A's with a good set of GCSE's. Sociolgy is also 3 A's . If you at the admission statistics about 1 in 4 people who apply get on these courses.

My advise would be look at the content of the courses at some universities you might like to go to as it will vary from place to place. Think about what interests you in these particular areas and the reasons you like studying them. You also need to think about how you have engaged with these subjects besides studying them. Have you asked your local MP if you can visit the House of Commons, done some work experience at your local council,read widely ? You are going to be spending 3 or 4 years studying the subject so it is worth doing some research to make sure you pick well. Unfortunate on a student website you are likely to get quite a bit of other people's opinions dressed up as fct.

With regards to the Russell Group you will find useful information here:

http://www.russellgroup.org/InformedChoices-latest.pdf

Good luck with what ever you decide :smile:

thankyou ^.^
i researched it and it says for up to 18 year olds, I'll be 18 in a week :frown: but i will ask my local MP anyways.
would a good RG uni take me on for politics with my worthless a levels? :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending