The Student Room Group

Zoology?

I'm sorry if I have posted this in the wrong place

Hi!

I am starting A levels in September and I'm planning to study Biology, Psychology, Sociology and Philosophy of Religion.

Recently, I've been thinking Zoology is my true calling and I don't know if these are the right A levels to take. Despite researching I'm still quite stumped.

I would definitely consider swapping Philosophy of Religion for Chemistry.

Any help?

Thank you
Original post by pingus_lady

Hi!

I am starting A levels in September and I'm planning to study Biology, Psychology, Sociology and Philosophy of Religion.

Recently, I've been thinking Zoology is my true calling and I don't know if these are the right A levels to take. Despite researching I'm still quite stumped.

Any help?

Thank you

Moved to the Life Sciences University courses forum where hopefully you'll get more responses :smile:

The main A-level you would need to take is biology, the others shouldn't be an issue as long as you meet the entry requirements for universities. For other courses such as Biomedical Science or Biological Sciences, you may be required to take A-level chemistry but even then there will only be a select few. The majority will accept you just having biology at A-level.

If you want to be sure then you can just visit some university websites and check the entry requirements for Zoology on their page. It should take you a couple of minutes for each university :h:
Reply 2

Hi!

Any help?

Thank you

Hi, Biology is the main A-level that is required, and some universities will be happy with just that, others will require another science (Psychology not included), preferably chemistry (I know Bangor and Cardiff do). If you can, I think it would be a good idea to switch Philosophy of Religion for Chemistry as it means you won't be limited when it comes to applying.

Have a look at the entry requirements for some of the universities that you are interested in, they will all be listed on the university websites under the course.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by xlizx
Hi, Biology is the main A-level that is required, and some universities will be happy with just that, others will require another science (Psychology not included), preferably chemistry (I know Bangor and Cardiff do). If you can, I think it would be a good idea to switch Philosophy of Religion for Chemistry as it means you won't be limited when it comes to applying.

Have a look at the entry requirements for some of the universities that you are interested in, they will all be listed on the university websites under the course.

Thank you very much :smile: I have checked the UCAS website and I found that 12 Universities do not require Chemistry. Do you think this is enough? I do enjoy Chemistry but I honestly don't think I am good enough

Hi!

Any help?

Thank you

You can get into good universities without chemistry. I tutored someone who had an offer from Exeter for Zoology with Biology, English Lit and Art.

Chemistry would definitely be preferable though as it will be very useful. A lot of Zoology courses are actually biology courses where you just have to choose certain modules so you may have to do first year compulsory modules which include chemistry stuff.

Basically, you don't need it to get into good universities but it will strengthen your application and help you once at university as well if you choose chemistry.
Reply 5
Original post by Munrot07
You can get into good universities without chemistry. I tutored someone who had an offer from Exeter for Zoology with Biology, English Lit and Art.

Chemistry would definitely be preferable though as it will be very useful. A lot of Zoology courses are actually biology courses where you just have to choose certain modules so you may have to do first year compulsory modules which include chemistry stuff.

Basically, you don't need it to get into good universities but it will strengthen your application and help you once at university as well if you choose chemistry.

Thank you so much for your reply :smile: I'm very torn. I don't think I have the skill for A level Chemistry despite loving it at GCSE. However, it is very reassuring that I could study zoology whatever I decide. :smile:
Thank you so much for your reply :smile: I'm very torn. I don't think I have the skill for A level Chemistry despite loving it at GCSE. However, it is very reassuring that I could study zoology whatever I decide. :smile:

Why do you think you wouldn't be able to do it at A level. Do you struggle at a GCSE level?
Reply 7
Why do you think you wouldn't be able to do it at A level. Do you struggle at a GCSE level?

I was 1 mark off an A in Core Science and my additional exam was the best one of my GCSEs. However, It's the maths in A level chemistry I worry about.
I was 1 mark off an A in Core Science and my additional exam was the best one of my GCSEs. However, It's the maths in A level chemistry I worry about.

Do not worry about the maths. It is very very simple. Most of the time it is nothing more than plugging numbers into equations, formula triangles and rearranging formula. How was your GCSE maths?
Reply 9
Do not worry about the maths. It is very very simple. Most of the time it is nothing more than plugging numbers into equations, formula triangles and rearranging formula. How was your GCSE maths?

Got Bs in my mocks but lack the confidence. Though, how you put it the maths does not sound too bad :smile:
Got Bs in my mocks but lack the confidence. Though, how you put it the maths does not sound too bad :smile:

About 20% of A level Chemistry is meant to be maths so you could physically get an A even if you didn't know a single bit of maths. The maths really isn't that bad. I'd say 75% is very straight forward with the occasional tricky question in papers.

If you are ok on basic algebra you should be fine for Chemistry.
Reply 11
About 20% of A level Chemistry is meant to be maths so you could physically get an A even if you didn't know a single bit of maths. The maths really isn't that bad. I'd say 75% is very straight forward with the occasional tricky question in papers.

If you are ok on basic algebra you should be fine for Chemistry.

I absolutely love algebra. You have really convinced me. I am going to look through some Chemistry textbooks my college recommends and make my final decision then. Thank you ever so much :smile:
I absolutely love algebra. You have really convinced me. I am going to look through some Chemistry textbooks my college recommends and make my final decision then. Thank you ever so much :smile:

You're welcome :smile: if you have any further questions about A level chemistry or biology or University stuff feel free to ask :smile:
I have a similar problem, though I am now in Year 13. I did take Chemistry though, and found it extremely challenging, even though I didn't find it that hard at GCSE - I was two marks off an A* - and put the most work into it out of all my subjects. It wasn't even the maths part either, since I got an A* in maths at GCSE. It might have just been the exam board I was doing, which was edexcel, since the exam papers were very hard and grade boundaries high, but hardly anyone in my class got higher than a C at AS!
But many universities will accept Psychology as a second science so that is a really good subject to have.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending