The Student Room Group

The eating meat for pleasure aurgument is flawed.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by missmillie12345
No...? They're not sentient

Posted from TSR Mobile

Because plants don't have tropism what so ever do they.
Original post by AR_95
I eat meat for pleasure

A ****ing burger is wonderful

Survival of the fittest (species). Why do you find it hard that humans will be humans

I eat meat but this is an incredibly stupid argument. I can't stand it when people bring natural selection into utterly irrelevant cases. There are plenty of situations when humans go completely against "survival of the fittest" because we know it's the right thing to do - for someone talking about how "humans will be humans", I'm surprised that you haven't yet realised that humans are capable of going beyond basic instinct, going against nature for a higher aim. If you justify eating meat by talking about "survival of the fittest" then you should reject many of the excellent human inventions that completely defy "survival of the fittest" like the law, or the welfare state.

The vegetarian argument that eating meat is unethical makes absolute sense - unless you're an anarchist you believes in a society that should be completely free of law, I don't understand how you can reject that argument. It might not be enough to convince you to become vegetarian - you might not care about animal rights - but the argument is still perfectly valid. There are plenty of more pragmatic arguments for vegetarianism though, such as the major environmental impact of meat production.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 62
Original post by Plagioclase
I eat meat but this is an incredibly stupid argument. I can't stand it when people bring natural selection into utterly irrelevant cases. There are plenty of situations when humans go completely against "survival of the fittest" because we know it's the right thing to do - for someone talking about how "humans will be humans", I'm surprised that you haven't yet realised that humans are capable of going beyond basic instinct, going against nature for a higher aim. If you justify eating meat by talking about "survival of the fittest" then you should reject many of the excellent human inventions that completely defy "survival of the fittest" like the law, or the welfare state.

The vegetarian argument that eating meat is unethical makes absolute sense - unless you're an anarchist you believes in a society that should be completely free of law, I don't understand how you can reject that argument. It might not be enough to convince you to become vegetarian - you might not care about animal rights - but the argument is still perfectly valid. There are plenty of more pragmatic arguments for vegetarianism though, such as the major environmental impact of meat production.

How do things like law and welfare state deny survival and well being for humans?

There are a lot of things we do consciously, and there is also a lot of animal instinct imprinted into our subconscious.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by mermaidy
1.I have been a victim of sexual assault and abuse. 2.If you think that that's comparable to someone eating meat, I don't even know what to say to you, because that's a pretty disgusting comparison imo, since 3.as stated above I personally do not see how humans and other animals are comparable, and 4.if we're going to have to agree to disagree there, then so be it. 5.To me, a difference of species is considerably different to a difference of ethnic background. I just don't see how you can even try to equate vile behaviour like rape and slavery towards members of one's own species to eating meat. 6.And you've still yet to tell me how you live a completely cruelty free life, never having eaten a crop from a field that wasn't cleared without killing a single small animal on it, 7. how you have never taken a drug tested on animals, 8.how you have never consumed anything containing milk from a dairy farm where male calves are killed as they aren't of use. 9. You can't go around making such broad condemnations yourself if you can't guarantee you have never, ever used or benefited from anything that harmed an animal - and I'm willing to bet you have, many times.

1. No offence but your experiences are irrelevant. Reason and ethicals are universal. They don't make exceptions.
2. Of course you don't. I bet you can't come up with something rational that does not condone other unethical actions
3. It is a very common problem even to this day. Some people can't see how women and men are comparable in terms of rights, others can't see how rich and poor are comparable in terms of rights, others can't see how European colonies and colonies are comparable in terms of rights, others can't see how homosexuals and heterosexuals are comparable in terms of rights, others can't see how slaves and non-slaves are comparable in terms of rights. But there is a cure to your issue, it is called education. :smile:
4. It is not a disagreement. It is a refusal (by you) to accept that I have a case against eating animals that you cannot break. If you think you can, you are more than welcome to give it a go.
5. And to slaver, a difference between being slave or not is more important, and to a sexist it is sex, and to heterosexual marriage only advocates it is whether both members are of the same sex, to others it is whether you are in surplus or in debt. Different people have different views on what is important. What matters is whether they are consistent with other views you have. Slavers, sexists and hetero marriage advicate have views that are inconsistent with our ethical values. Being against animal eating is consistent. My view is that the only thing that matters is suffering. The issue with unethical actions is not injustice, it is suffering. This is consistent with our ethical values.

6. I did not say a suffering free life is possible. But I said that an animal eating free life is possible for us who live in the west. That is the point of the thread.

7. I never claimed I did not. You are making assumptions about my life now. I don't take drugs these days, btw. See point 6.

8. See point 6. You are going on a tangent.

9. See point 6. See the thread title. We are discussing animal eating not leading an animal cruelty free life (you can make another thread for that topic) which are different questions. Not eating animals does not force you to abstain from animal-made products (even though you will see that it is consistent), the point being made in this thread is that eating animals is not ethical. And it is not necessary for your survival.
Right. Well we are animals. Animals, like us, are sentient. They seek to avoid pain and suffering.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I don't think sentience 9however you're defining that) = self aware, and the latter is my critieria. So i think you shouldn't kill octopuses because there's a chance they might be conscious. But I'd happily kill a sheep and eat it.
Original post by AR_95
How do things like law and welfare state deny survival and well being for humans?

How does not eating meat deny survival and well being for humans? It's completely possible to survive and have a very good well being without meat. I'm not sure you read my argument.
Oh boo hoo, humans have been eating animals since the ice age. Typical whining vegetarians.
Reply 67
Original post by Plagioclase
How does not eating meat deny survival and well being for humans? It's completely possible to survive and have a very good well being without meat.

It's also completely possible to survive if you stay in a single room and never venture outside of it for your whole life. What's your point
Original post by AR_95
It's also completely possible to survive if you stay in a single room and never venture outside of it for your whole life. What's your point

Unless you're an die-hard hedonist, surely you must realise that what you're saying makes no sense? You're either implying that life isn't worth living without meat, or making a wider point that life isn't worth living without living unethically, both of which are ridiculous arguments. It's completely possible to live a good life whilst remaining altruistic.
In order to persuade me eating meat is ok, you would need to put forward an argument that proves that there is nothing morally wrong with killing animals to eat them. Goes without saying really, Alvin. :lol:

Posted from TSR Mobile

People need to get off their pedestal pls.

--It's so wrong to eat meat - despite being evolved to do so.

Morals time!!!
😅😅😅😅😅😅😅😅

You're wearing makeup in your profile picture.

Were any of your products tested on animals? Most are. So unless you actually checked all, and I mean ALL (shampoo and other cosmetics, too) - your argument is flawed.

Have you ever taken painkillers such as paracetamol where you had a choice not to? So, perhaps a headache? Period pain?
Well, on the basis that you have done so, YOU ARE A MONSTER. Do you know the pain that the poor little animals went through for that to be available to you?!?! Was your discomfort comparable?? I doubt it. You, my darling have just contributed to an industry built on animal testing.

By this notion of immorality, you should reject all medical drug treatments. Why is your life and wellbeing MORE important than that of a rat?

I think I might join you, and the other animal rights supporters protesting against animal testing for new drugs. It's not like cancer is killing anyone, lol. Tbh, a few hundred/thousand rats is WAY more important than one human life. ** yes** the supporters say. Oh no, but wait.. What if.. (God forbid) it's your mother lying frail and weak from cancer..? How many rats is it okay to use for saving your mother? Is there even a limit?

That's not directed towards you (missmillie) - all I directed towards you was really the makeup & cosmetics things lol.

Anyway - the living conditions for animals in the food industry are mostly awful. So, to curb this issue I buy free range meat (just like with eggs!). At least they have a pleasant life and I get to consume meat with a relatively clear conscience, as humans should (biologically). 🗽

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ComputerMaths97
I know it's crazy, how on earth could someone consider comparing those two! It actually sickens me :/

Likewise.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by APlantinga
I don't think sentience 9however you're defining that) = self aware, and the latter is my critieria. So i think you shouldn't kill octopuses because there's a chance they might be conscious. But I'd happily kill a sheep and eat it.

Sentience is the ability to have interests. For example a sheep doesn't want to be killed or to feel pain. They actively avoid it. Plants don't, so they aren't sentient

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by bassbabe
Oh boo hoo, humans have been eating animals since the ice age. Typical whining vegetarians.

This.

😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by APlantinga
1.if animals were known to suffer in exactly same way as people, you'd have a point. However, 2.inferring conscious experience from a nervous (ie stimulus-reaction) system is dubious at best.

And 3.lets assume that all animals can experience things, that an animals suffering is of the same nature and value of that of a person's is non trivial and requires argument.

1. We don't know whether two humans suffer in the same way but since we all have central nervous systems (which are the cause of experiencing suffering) we assume we all suffer and we don't use possible differences in the way we suffer to kill each other for pleasure. Animal suffering is the same thing. Whether the suffering is exact or approximate has no bearing on the question of whether killing someone for pleasure is acceptable.

2. It might be dubious but it is better to assume that all humans have it (and not kill each other for pleasure - see slaves in ancient Rome) than to assume not all have it and allow killing of some humans for pleasure if you believe the human in question cannot experience suffering. This would allow people to kill brain damaged individuals and people in coma for pleasure. The same goes for assumptions of human suffering. It is better to err on the safe side.

3. You can make the same argument for the suffering and worth of the suffering of two humans. I believe this was the reasoning of slavers, wife beaters, rapists and European powers to justify the suffering they produced.
Sentience is the ability to have interests. For example a sheep doesn't want to be killed or to feel pain. They actively avoid it. Plants don't, so they aren't sentient

Posted from TSR Mobile

What about blind and deaf people, they're only partly sentient... so are they only partly important? Sentience has nothing to do with importance, it's about a form of life.

Just because plants don't have aspirations for when they grow up, it doesn't mean they don't exist.
Original post by ComputerMaths97
What about blind and deaf people, they're only partly sentient... so are they only partly important? Sentience has nothing to do with importance, it's about a form of life.

Just because plants don't have aspirations for when they grow up, it doesn't mean they don't exist.

Haha, are you saying blind people don't care if they die??
A fat juicy burger is pleasurable tho..
Juichiro, the reason you present for not eating meat is that it causes suffering to animals (despite the fact that you inevitably cause or benefit from animals suffering in other ways, which to most people in itself would reduce your credibility), which in your view is comparable to the suffering humans cause other humans through things like rape and slavery. I think that's bull****. I don't believe eating meat is ideal or that the way it is currently obtained is particularly ethical at all, but I cannot for one second longer entertain the idea that it is comparable to the atrocities humans have committed against each other. If you think that is because I need education, that's fine, but if that's the case I'd rather go without whatever education it is that makes someone think eating meat is equal to raping someone, thank you very much.
Original post by bassbabe

Doing something for a long time is no justification.
Humans have also been raping for a long time. Also, what about the trade of African slaves? Do you approve it because they did it for a long time? Your own argument (if you do something for a long time it is ethical) says that you do.
Original post by Juichiro
1. We don't know whether two humans suffer in the same way but since we all have central nervous systems (which are the cause of experiencing suffering) we assume we all suffer and we don't use possible differences in the way we suffer to kill each other for pleasure. Animal suffering is the same thing. Whether the suffering is exact or approximate has no bearing on the question of whether killing someone for pleasure is acceptable.

2. It might be dubious but it is better to assume that all humans have it (and not kill each other for pleasure - see slaves in ancient Rome) than to assume not all have it and allow killing of some humans for pleasure if you believe the human in question cannot experience suffering. This would allow people to kill brain damaged individuals and people in coma for pleasure. The same goes for assumptions of human suffering. It is better to err on the safe side.

3. You can make the same argument for the suffering and worth of the suffering of two humans. I believe this was the reasoning of slavers, wife beaters, rapists and European powers to justify the suffering they produced.

In your first point you're saying an animal is "someone". I think you might need this. ImageUploadedByStudent Room1436787911.645045.jpg

Last time I checked, people = humans. Unless you want to refute that too..?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest