The Student Room Group

Jeremy Corbyn plans to scrap tuition fees - is he right?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Manitude
Pretty much this. I don't like how it's possible to get into university courses with A Level grades that are average or less than average (which is roughly a C). To me university should be reserved for the academic elite. It's supposed to be challenging and getting a degree is supposed to demonstrate that you are more academically able than most people. Under our current system a degree is becoming less valuable, especially as I believe I read earlier this year that more than 50% of 18 year olds intend to go to university. It completely destroys the notion that it's an elite institution when even people of average academic performance are going to university.

Well this is how the system is now and how it will be from here on out anyway. I do think universities should be mostly reserved for the most intelligent but then I also believe in foundation years to progress into a degree. I finished my A levels last year, I was predicted ABB which is fairly good but tough personal circumstances meant I fell a wee bit short and got ABC. I'm not a stupid person, the paper that came up for Chem was tougher than any past paper I had done and the teaching I received wasn't great for it. But Manchester University offered me the Foundation Year so that I could improve my understanding of the knowledge so that I could improve my standards. That as a route should remain open for those who fall short of entry requirements. But I think overall, the number of places does need to be more regulated because the universities are making a killing off of it.
Original post by marco14196
Well this is how the system is now and how it will be from here on out anyway. I do think universities should be mostly reserved for the most intelligent but then I also believe in foundation years to progress into a degree. I finished my A levels last year, I was predicted ABB which is fairly good but tough personal circumstances meant I fell a wee bit short and got ABC. I'm not a stupid person, the paper that came up for Chem was tougher than any past paper I had done and the teaching I received wasn't great for it. But Manchester University offered me the Foundation Year so that I could improve my understanding of the knowledge so that I could improve my standards. That as a route should remain open for those who fall short of entry requirements. But I think overall, the number of places does need to be more regulated because the universities are making a killing off of it.

I don't actually have much of an issue with foundation years. It's degrees where you need mostly Cs or lower to get on them that make me think something has gone wrong. If somebody is doing university for the right reasons and they just had a bad exam like you then that's fine. My issue is more with the culture of "I should go to university because everyone else does" and the response of "loads of people want to go to university, let's have more university places" has got out of hand.
Original post by Manitude
I don't actually have much of an issue with foundation years. It's degrees where you need mostly Cs or lower to get on them that make me think something has gone wrong. If somebody is doing university for the right reasons and they just had a bad exam like you then that's fine. My issue is more with the culture of "I should go to university because everyone else does" and the response of "loads of people want to go to university, let's have more university places" has got out of hand.

I'm actually now at the point of pulling out of going to university because that market is just......it's so crowded now. We're turning out over a quarter of million and growing graduates each year now. That's not sustainable at all. It benefits the government because they can massage the unemployment figures, it benefits the universities who can now charge stupid high fees at a lesser cost and make a killing on accommodation fees but it ends up screwing over us students.
Original post by Magnus Taylor
Scrapping them is unsustainable

Our student loan system is aright, but idea that we can not afford to make whole thing free is ridiculous.
In 2014, 9 billion was lent out by student finance of which 45% will be written off (paid by the government). If government provided that money as grant instead of loan, it would cost additional 4.95 billion - to put that in context it'd be 0.67% of the budget. Even if this was entirely paid by increasing deficit, our deficit as percentage of GDP would increase by grand total of 0.26%.
I just want to go back to 3,000 a year tbh :moon:
Scrap for the top 10% of the nation based on GCSE and A Level/IB scores, and make the rest pay full rate. The prospect of not having to be in any debt/any graduate tax (can't remember how students repay their loan) would motivate students to work harder, driving up academic performance in exams.

Spoiler

Wasn't there somebody who said that higher tuition fees gives more money for universities to fund for bursaries for poorer students?

Another person said that tuition fees should be scrapped completely, and this could be achieved by cutting military spending, taxing large corporations more, ending fossil fuel subsidies,etc. I wouldn't go that far as to cut military spending, given the terrorism threat.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by felamaslen
Could scrap them for high value degrees from real universities, but I don't see why doctors and engineers (and all working people) should fund idiots to do joke subjects at joke unis.

What about the good degrees at not so good universities?

When I went through Salford it's engineering department was hovering around the top20 in the country, the engineering degree I have is recognised and accredited by the RAeS, the IMechE and others, but the university as a whole is barely in the country's top 80.

Have to be careful with the sweeping statements.
Reply 27
Higher education isn't a right.

You're right it isn't. In my opinion it should be.
That's impossible.
Reply 29
Original post by angelfox
That's impossible.

We were told that about The Welfare State, The NHS and The NMW - all were achieved.
Original post by KevK92
You're right it isn't. In my opinion it should be.

Why should it be a right? You need GCSEs to get places. You need whatever qualifications you can get before GCSEs. A-levels tend to be very helpful but after that, you don't necessarily need to go to university to get somewhere in life. Too many people go for the wrong reasons. It isn't a right and shouldn't be a right.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Could scrap them for high value degrees from real universities, but I don't see why doctors and engineers (and all working people) should fund idiots to do joke subjects at joke unis.

If you want to ruin your academic career, don't make me pay for it too.

Wherever possible, government funding should go on things which have a return on investment, or at least break even. I don't see how paying someone to bolster their own ego with a worthless degree will provide any return on investment.

Also, I don't see why rich people should have their degrees paid for by the tax of low(er) earners.

Can't rate, but yeah lots of people do pointless things that won't yield anything in the future,where as degree's in other subjects like maths and science always bring a greater yield. But I guess all the little left wingers would object to paying for their media degree if someone didn't have to pay for their maths degree(then again those pointless people have a sense of entitlement to everything).
Going to uni for free would be great, but I can't see it working.

Just reduce the fees, fam, don't scrap em.
No.

I would never vote for Corbyn regardless of what his policies are. He is an extremist apologist.
Original post by TomatoLounge
Labour Leadership contender Jeremy Corbyn is planning on scrapping tuition fees. Is this enough to make you vote for him (for leader or prime minister)? Or are there more important things on the political agenda. Are there better ways to spend £10bn?

Source:
http://www.theguardian.com/education/2015/jul/15/jeremy-corbyn-announces-10bn-plan-to-scrap-university-tuition-fees

Yes absolutely we should scrap the fees puts lots of ppl off going who wants to be paying £50,000 + over a lifetime. Also if we cut places and got certain ''degrees' back to tech colleges then it would be more sustainable but anyone saying keep the fees outright clearly comes from a well off family or is old enough to avoid the fee crisis.
Also other European countries have low/no fees and they invest more of their GDP into uni education and guess what they are higher up the league tables because unlike English unis they aren't focusing on the money side.
Plus when you pay back your fees its going to the uni after you have left so in retrospect you are paying for someone else's education rather than your own.
(edited 8 years ago)
God I just love this guy, I can imagine the swades of working class voters flocking to UKIP after this guy gets elected. God I can not wait
Original post by SotonianOne
No.

I would never vote for Corbyn regardless of what his policies are. He is an extremist apologist.

But I urge you for just £3 to become a Labour member and vote for him as leader, you will not regret it!
Original post by KevK92
We could begin to afford it by scrapping the WOMD we have which we'll never use.

No we couldnt - If WOMD were scrapped, the money saved would be spent on conventional forces instead, :tongue:
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by The two eds
But I urge you for just £3 to become a Labour member and vote for him as leader, you will not regret it!

I already joined.
Jeremy Corbyn was born where Im from. Despite him being from where I am, his politics certainly isnt welcome in my part of the country (being one of the most Tory parts of the country.

On the issue, no fees shouldnt be scrapped.
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending