The Student Room Group

Can I be successful without a degree?

I’m thinking about pursuing a creative apprenticeship, for example tailoring- I have done one year of uni and left. I didn’t see the benefit of paying so much for receiving little- there were strikes so half of my lectures were cut and I just didn’t like my degree.

Is it possible to be successful without a degree though? Or should I study fashion/ something similar at uni?

Thanks
Reply 1
Original post by EVMD17
I’m thinking about pursuing a creative apprenticeship, for example tailoring- I have done one year of uni and left. I didn’t see the benefit of paying so much for receiving little- there were strikes so half of my lectures were cut and I just didn’t like my degree.

Is it possible to be successful without a degree though? Or should I study fashion/ something similar at uni?

Thanks

Yes, and no, unless you want/need to.

Good luck with the tailoring career.

Greg
Yes, it is possible to be successful and have a well paid career without being a graduate.

Bill Gates didn't graduate from uni.
Nor did Alan Sugar, Arthur Scargill, David Beckham, Catherine Zeta Jones, James Caan, Jeremy Corbyn, John Major, Mark Zuckerberg, Michelle Mone, Oprah Winfrey, Duncan Bannatyne or Philip Green.
Original post by EVMD17

Thanks

Yes you can still be successful.
You don't need to go to uni.
Hi there,

A degree is absolutely not the only way to success. Everyone is different and it's about finding what is right for you. If you felt you were not getting what you need from pursuing a degree then there are lots of other paths to take to achieve your goals.

An apprenticeship is a great way to go, especially if you can find one in your desired career. It gives you relevant experience which you can build on and develop into your career further. You can also look into fashion courses or other work experience to help build your knowledge and skills.

Good luck with everything!
- Sophie (uni of Bath)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending