The Student Room Group

Confirmed immigrants claim more benefits & more likely to be unemployed

Scroll to see replies

This is not a surprise, everyone knows it to be true
Original post by Rakas21
Koreans and Taiwanese come from more or less equally developed countries so you'd expect them to be taking relatively decent jobs given education standards and a positive impression of Asians (hard working and smart).

But that's the thing. India is far less developed than either Korea or Taiwan, even in Urban areas. Most of the population is still in rural areas with limited access to healthcare, water, electricity, etc. If anything you would expect them to be in the same category as Pakistan, Bangladesh, which are much closer culturally and development-wise.
Original post by Fango_Jett
But that's the thing. India is far less developed than either Korea or Taiwan, even in Urban areas. Most of the population is still in rural areas with limited access to healthcare, water, electricity, etc. If anything you would expect them to be in the same category as Pakistan, Bangladesh, which are much closer culturally and development-wise.

True. Along with Jews and Orientals they are also one of the few immigrant groups to vote Tory as well.
A new study from a pressure group that campaigns for reduced immigration produces research that "flies in the face" of existing research to say that immigration is bad.

What a surprise.

If an anti-austerity pressure group produced a new study which flies in the face of existing research to show that the deficit is a lie then I'm sure you would be equally keen to embrace it....
Original post by MagicNMedicine
A new study from a pressure group that campaigns for reduced immigration produces research that "flies in the face" of existing research to say that immigration is bad.

What a surprise.

If an anti-austerity pressure group produced a new study which flies in the face of existing research to show that the deficit is a lie then I'm sure you would be equally keen to embrace it....

The open borders loving left have been stating without proof for years that immigration is a huge net positive for the UK and using this repeated big lie to avoid debating the subject. Thanks to Migration Watch's research the burden of proof now falls upon the left. They can no longer expect to get away with spewing their propaganda unchallenged (although in practice I expect the BBC will continue to let them do exactly that).
Original post by Jebedee
I see what you're saying however there are various successful countries that demand you fit in with their culture and way of doing things or you simply won't be required. I don't think that's a bad system. The nail that sticks out shall be hammered down.

People with troublesome requirements quite rightly will not get chosen over less demanding applicants.

Here we go again; You claim immigrants claim more benefits than white British and you are wrong. How can immigrants claim more benefits than British when the whole non-whites population in this country is only 14%which is 8 million out of 63.1 million. 7.5 million people in the UK are immigrants and 4.5 million are born outside the EU. As I know some immigrants are hardworking and some of them have some jobs they do which support them (especially African Migrants) and have family to look after in their country.Additionally it has also been proven that 83% of the unemployed who claim benefits are Whites. So you guys are a bunch of ignorant people ( am not going to use the word racist cause we are all tired of hearing it) who are brain washed by your family, your town and the people you associate yourself with and your politicians. I bet most of you blame immigrants for taking your jobs, well if an immigrant person is more experienced and fits in the criteria better then he deserves the job. Some folks are narrowly minded. In other words youou haven’t lived with other people fromdifferent Ethnicity. I presume some on you don’t like foreigners in yourCountry but you were once strangers in their countries and Britain makes lotsof income from foreign companies in Britain and migrants who pay taxes. If they all go away David Cameron cannot save the economy and we will be like Greece. I Understand your implification that some people falsely claim benefit illegally but this is not a way to present your stats.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by BaconandSauce
We should pay for them to go home

Here we go again; You claim immigrants claim more benefitsthan white British and you are wrong. How can immigrants claim more benefitsthan British when the whole non-whites population in this country is only 14%which is 8 million out of 63.1 million. 7.5 million people in UK are immigrantsand 4.5 million are born outside the EU. As I know some immigrants are hardworking and some of themhave some jobs they do which support them (especially African Migrants) and have family to look after in their country.Additionally it has also been proven that 83% of the unemployed who claimbenefits are Whites. So you guys are a bunch of ignorant people ( am not going to use the word racist cause weare all tired of hearing it) who are brain washed by your family, your town andthe people you associate yourself with and your politicians. I bet most of youblame immigrants for taking your jobs, well if an immigrant person is more experiencedand fits in the criteria better then he deserves the job. Some folks are narrowreally narrow minded. In other words youou haven’t lived with other people fromdifferent Ethnicity. I presume some on you don’t like foreigners in yourCountry but you were once strangers in their countries and Britain makes lotsof income from foreign companies in Britain and migrants who pay taxes. If theyall go away David Cameron cannot save the economy and we will be like Greece. Iunderstand your implification that some people falsely claim benefit illegallybut this is not a way to present your stats. B��B���)�� And i am an African Migrant and i dont claim benefits.
Reply 47
Original post by Rakas21
True. Along with Jews and Orientals they are also one of the few immigrant groups to vote Tory as well.

Literally all North Americans and Europeans (all, not west) vote Tory. Only Africans vote Labour, and I don't know the stats for Asians, but from what I see it looks like Muslims vote Labour.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Skip_Snip
I'm on the fence. I'd be happy for benefits to be restricted/stopped for future non-EU immigrants, but I wouldn't feel good about families with children suddenly being plunged into poverty.

Errr and why should EU immigrants receive benefits???
This is a pretty ****ing simple problem:

You have hundreds of thousands of people coming here from the EU, who either claim benefits and cost us money outright, or work a **** job, pay little tax and still cost us money.

See the problem now?
Original post by billydisco
Errr and why should EU immigrants receive benefits???

They're more likely to get work.
Original post by Skip_Snip
They're more likely to get work.

Errrrr but if we only admit people who already have a decent-paying job offer before arriving here....... then they're definitely going to be working? :rolleyes:
Original post by Nortus
Literally all North Americans and Europeans (all, not west) vote Tory. Only Africans vote Labour, and I don't know the stats for Asians, but from what I see it looks like Muslims vote Labour.

Many Africans dont like David Cameron
Reply 53
Original post by stephenhinn
Many Africans dont like David Cameron

That's probably why I said they vote Labour.
Reply 54
Original post by billydisco
This is a pretty ****ing simple problem:

You have hundreds of thousands of people coming here from the EU, who either claim benefits and cost us money outright, or work a **** job, pay little tax and still cost us money.

See the problem now?

What do you have against immigrants?
Original post by akastudent
I think a lot of people here do not know how the benefits system really works and therefore they tend to jump into (not the most accurate) conclusions. I am not an expert myself but I do have a clearer idea than most people in here.

There are certain benefits that aim to help low income families/individuals eg. housing benefits and tax credits. So an individual can have two jobs and be working several hours a week but because they have a low paid job they are still entitled to benefits otherwise they would not be able to survive solely on their wages. So whos to blame for this? Id say the government has to something about the minimum wage. Replace it with a living wage instead. This way everyone would be able to survive solely on their wages without having to reccur to benefits.

There are also other types of benefits such as income support and job seekers allowance etc.Such benefits could be classified as "lazy benefits" . Please note that I am not saying that everyone that claims benefits in this category is lazy. HOWEVER, it should be highlighted that unlike the benefits mentioned above these benefits do not require you to work any amount of hours in order to receive them. For instance, in order to be in receipt of job-seekers allowance, one simply has to CLAIM that he/she is not able to find a job. Similarly in order to receive disability benefits one has to have a disability that prevents them from working .... or one can simply CLAIM that they have such disability. Express clearly reports that "Payments such as income support, job seekers allowance, state pension, sickness and disability benefits, had higher proportions of Britons claiming."

What I am trying to say is, the benefit system in this country is clearly flawed. However, I do believe that we need to understand the nature of some benefits before pointing fingers at immigrants. Most of them are here to work hard. Others do play the systems and are lazy ****s. But isnt that the same for Britons? We need to establish whos claiming benefits because they truly need it and whos simply being lazy.

No you are wrong you can get Housing Benefits and Child Tax Credits without working, working usually means you get a reduction in the Housing Benefits.

No I suggest not commenting about things you know nothing about there is a reason its called "Jobseekers Allowance" and not "Unemployed Allowance".In order to get JSA you have to do several things apply for several jobs over a fortnight(might be 14 I am not sure), hand several CVs in, go to compulsory training/education courses(this is often adult maths/numeracy or sometimes cleaning),attend compulsory volunteering(my mam has to volunteer at Marie Curie),sign on each fortnight and sometimes attend a JobCentre interview to review your Job Applications.

Some of those things I mentioned you don't have to do all the time but you certainly don't get money for nothing unless you manage to exploit the system and lie to them about the stuff you do/conditions you have.

The only way you can get 'free money' is if you are disabled or have children, as you get your housing benefit took off you if you get your JSA stopped which happens if you don't do the activities I listed above.
Original post by stephenhinn
Here we go again; You claim immigrants claim more benefits than white British and you are wrong. How can immigrants claim more benefits than British when the whole non-whites population in this country is only 14%which is 8 million out of 63.1 million. 7.5 million people in the UK are immigrants and 4.5 million are born outside the EU. As I know some immigrants are hardworking and some of them have some jobs they do which support them (especially African Migrants) and have family to look after in their country.Additionally it has also been proven that 83% of the unemployed who claim benefits are Whites. So you guys are a bunch of ignorant people ( am not going to use the word racist cause we are all tired of hearing it) who are brain washed by your family, your town and the people you associate yourself with and your politicians. I bet most of you blame immigrants for taking your jobs, well if an immigrant person is more experienced and fits in the criteria better then he deserves the job. Some folks are narrowly minded. In other words youou haven’t lived with other people fromdifferent Ethnicity. I presume some on you don’t like foreigners in yourCountry but you were once strangers in their countries and Britain makes lotsof income from foreign companies in Britain and migrants who pay taxes. If they all go away David Cameron cannot save the economy and we will be like Greece. I Understand your implification that some people falsely claim benefit illegally but this is not a way to present your stats.

Are you done with your strawman yet? You've made the assumption that just because I vilify immigrants who claim then I support white people who claim, which is false. I'd be happy to ship all white benefit claimants to Africa and bring over some hard workers, in addition to sending lazy immigrants back home. I hold no love for my home country and I live on the other side of the world now, happily.
Reply 57
According to a quick back-of-a-cigarette-packet calculation, 11 million UK Sky TV customers pay roughly £5bn in subscription fees. I believe from memory that that is more the the entire NHS budget for Scotland.

Now I would never advocate restricting the right of people to spend their money on whatever they like, but I really hope that those Sky customers choke on their own bile should they ever have the gall to try and claim that the current rate of influx of immigrants coming to the UK in search of a better life is unsupportable.
Original post by Nortus
What do you have against immigrants?

Are you stupid?

Look what I just said:

-They either don't work and cost us money
-They work a **** job and still cost us money as their tax is so low

???
Original post by offhegoes
According to a quick back-of-a-cigarette-packet calculation, 11 million UK Sky TV customers pay roughly £5bn in subscription fees. I believe from memory that that is more the the entire NHS budget for Scotland.

Now I would never advocate restricting the right of people to spend their money on whatever they like, but I really hope that those Sky customers choke on their own bile should they ever have the gall to try and claim that the current rate of influx of immigrants coming to the UK in search of a better life is unsupportable.

People like you really are so thick and naive. Think about it for a second:

If they are coming here for a better life, then they will hope to obtain resources/money here.

They aren't bringing money/resources in to the country, so if they manage to gain resources, who did they just deprive? US!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending