The Student Room Group

BSMS A100 Applicants for 2016 Entry

Seeing how BSMS have their next open day on Friday and there wasn't a thread for the coming year's applicants, I thought I'd start one~

Entry Requirements: AAAb. Retakes are also accepted, as long as you get AAB on first try, with no extenuation required.
Teaching Style: Integrated systems-based. Rather lecture based for the first two years.
Test: BMAT. This will take place in November 2015 - BSMS apparently add your scores up from Section 1&2 (both out of 9) and the essay (out of 5). Minimum score - 15. People with scores above 17 I think were most likely to be called to interview. There were people who had 20+ and weren't called to interview - they also look at your personal statement.
Other things about the uni: Seems to be very popular with graduates! There was a nice mix in the cohort - there were school leavers, gap year applicants and a good deal of graduates and mature students, which was nice :smile:
Brighton and Sussex unis are also very close to each other, and you are a member of both universities if you go. The cohort is also rather small (about 130?), so you get to know the people in your year quite well.

I fell in love on the open day, I'm 100% applying! Especially because of the way that they teach anatomy and the focus on dissection. Students were so friendly and frank. Is anyone going to the open day on the 24th?

--

Offer Holders group here!

Official Offer Holders page here! There are some Brighton student ambassadors here who are ready to answer any questions.
(edited 8 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Hiya, I'm a graduate student starting at BSMS in 2016. I also did my degree at brighton university so if you guys have any questions about the general process or info on either university let me know and I'm happy to help :smile:
Original post by pharmalife
Hiya, I'm a graduate student starting at BSMS in 2016. I also did my degree at brighton university so if you guys have any questions about the general process or info on either university let me know and I'm happy to help :smile:

Hey there! On the BSMS website they say graduate applicants aren't expected to satisfy GCSE/A level requirements, but do you have any idea to what extent this is true? Do they still consider these results when looking at your application or do you think it's mostly Degree/BMAT/Personal Statement/Interview?

Thanks! :smile:
Original post by Lethargic
Hey there! On the BSMS website they say graduate applicants aren't expected to satisfy GCSE/A level requirements, but do you have any idea to what extent this is true? Do they still consider these results when looking at your application or do you think it's mostly Degree/BMAT/Personal Statement/Interview?

Thanks! :smile:

Hiya,

From what I understand they are pretty flexible with A-level's in terms of requirements. As long as you have achieved a minimum of a 2.1 in the degree and have shown that you have a good background knowledge that is equivalent to or above A-Level Biology and Chemistry it should be ok and shouldn't hinder your application too much. A 2.1 in Biomedical sciences would mean that A-levels aren't really considered.
GCSE results don't play much of a role in applicant selection at graduate entry. When I applied they asked for a minimum of a B in Maths and English thats all! Hope that helps!
Good luck everyone, I applied last year although didn't do well enough in the BMAT to get an interview, but that's in the past, onwards and upwards! If there's anything anyone wants to know about, I'm probably not the best person to ask but I'll try my best 😄👍
With regards cutoff, the admissions team informed me that for 2015 it was around 15, and from what I remember there were roughly 1100 applicants last year, with around 350-400 being invited to interview. Here is a link to some useful information that that a crazy person (she seems crazy) got from bsms admissions:

https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/bsms_a100_interview_statistics_f
Sent off my UCAS form yesterday and this is my first choice eeeeep
Reply 6
Original post by AnnekaChan173
Sent off my UCAS form yesterday and this is my first choice eeeeep

where else did u apply?
Original post by Jonnyss
where else did u apply?

Liverpool, UEA and Exeter, you?
Reply 8
Liverpool, UEA and Exeter, you?

Still undecided but considering liverpool and UEA as well.

Dunno if the BMAT is worth it so I keep thinking I should apply to two BMAT unis to make my prep worthwhile, but then I come to the conclusion that one is risky enough. Ugh I'm so confused.

How are ur other stats?
Original post by Jonnyss
Still undecided but considering liverpool and UEA as well.

Dunno if the BMAT is worth it so I keep thinking I should apply to two BMAT unis to make my prep worthwhile, but then I come to the conclusion that one is risky enough. Ugh I'm so confused.

How are ur other stats?

What was your UKCAT? Idk, one is risky enough tbh. I was tempted to pick Lancaster too (I'm a resitter) but then I decided not to.
I was thinking... and a score of 15/28 is like Imperial's cut offs added together. :/
Original post by Jonnyss
I was thinking... and a score of 15/28 is like Imperial's cut offs added together. :/

At first I thought it wouldn't be bad and now I'm like actually **** that's high.
Reply 12
Original post by LSomers
I applied for 2015 entry and I hope this may offer a little bit of encouragement for people applying this year, here's what my application was like;

AS levels: biology A, psychology A, maths A, chemistry B.

Predicted A2 grades: biology A, chemistry A, psychology A*, EPQ A.

I missed the UKCAT deadline so could only apply to BMAT/ no entrance exam uni's, I applied to: BSMS, Leeds, Liverpool and Bristol.

BMAT: 4.1, 4.2, 2.5A (fairly low scores)

Rejected from all but BSMS.

Work experience: volunteering at a Brownies group for 3 years and a disabled children's charity for (at the time of application) 7 months. Worked at Tesco for (at time of application) 5 months, side note, don't be embarrassed of putting things like working at a supermarket on your application, it may not be medicine related but shows you have a work ethic.

I managed to get an interview which went terribly in my opinion yet I still got an offer for a place with AAA grades.

A2 grades: biology A, psychology A, chemistry B, EPQ A*.

On results day I found out I had missed the offer but was put on the waiting list with other people who got a B in chemistry/ other subjects.

Then thankfully on Monday (17th August), UCAS updated and I found out that I had been accepted.

Moral of my story is you don't have to be a perfect applicant with A*s and months of clinical work experience, but please don't expect to get an offer with a B especially in chemistry, I was just lucky. If anyone has any questions about the application procedure: UCAS, interviews, applying for accommodation/ student finance or being on a waiting list, I can try my best to answer them! Good luck everyone! :smile:

This makes me feel so much better about my application, thank you (:
Hello everyone,

This year I want to apply to BSMS. However, I have one concern. For my AS. I got AAAC (A in biology, A in Chemsitry, A in math, but C in RS). At the moment, I am predicted A*AA (A* in Chemsitry) and it might go up. The problem is for my RS, I will be retaking and trying to get a grade B. If I got an interview and an offer at BSMS, but I still got a grade C in my fourth AS and the rest of my A-Levels where AAA-A*A*A*, would BSMS accept me or not?
Original post by Medically
Hello everyone,

This year I want to apply to BSMS. However, I have one concern. For my AS. I got AAAC (A in biology, A in Chemsitry, A in math, but C in RS). At the moment, I am predicted A*AA (A* in Chemsitry) and it might go up. The problem is for my RS, I will be retaking and trying to get a grade B. If I got an interview and an offer at BSMS, but I still got a grade C in my fourth AS and the rest of my A-Levels where AAA-A*A*A*, would BSMS accept me or not?

The B at AS will probably be in an offer, idk. Ask them!
Hi , Are there any graduates applying this year?
Reply 16
Seeing how BSMS have their next open day on Friday and there wasn't a thread for the coming year's applicants, I thought I'd start one~

Entry Requirements: AAAb. Retakes are also accepted, as long as you get AAB on first try, with no extenuation required.
Teaching Style: Integrated systems-based. Rather lecture based for the first two years.
Test: BMAT. This will take place in November 2015 - BSMS apparently add your scores up from Section 1&2 (both out of 9) and the essay (out of 5). Minimum score - 15. People with scores above 17 I think were most likely to be called to interview. There were people who had 20+ and weren't called to interview - they also look at your personal statement.
Other things about the uni: Seems to be very popular with graduates! There was a nice mix in the cohort - there were school leavers, gap year applicants and a good deal of graduates and mature students, which was nice :smile:
Brighton and Sussex unis are also very close to each other, and you are a member of both universities if you go. The cohort is also rather small (about 130?), so you get to know the people in your year quite well.

I fell in love on the open day, I'm 100% applying! Especially because of the way that they teach anatomy and the focus on dissection. Students were so friendly and frank. Is anyone going to the open day on the 24th?

Hey, how do you know they look at personal statements?
Hi, do we have to book a place for the open day? Is it too late now? I didn't see it on BSMS website that they had any upcoming open days =\
Original post by Nathman
Hey, how do you know they look at personal statements?

They said on the open day.

Original post by jessica ahmed
Hi, do we have to book a place for the open day? Is it too late now? I didn't see it on BSMS website that they had any upcoming open days =\

It's a bit late considering the deadline is in a week ^^' you could ask for a campus tour or something after applying maybe?
It's a bit late considering the deadline is in a week ^^' you could ask for a campus tour or something after applying maybe?

Deadline.. you mean for UCAS? I know i am definitely applying to BSMS anyway but I just wondered when the open day is so I could go and see it. I emailed them and they said its I can register in May for the one in June

Quick Reply

Latest