The Student Room Group

Should I take Geography or History?

Gonna try and keep this as short as I can. I'm moving and have my place at a new sixth form in September, and while they get really good results, they offer a limited selection of A Level subjects.
I've just finished my AS exams and I'm going to be taking on English Language onto A2 and starting three new A Levels, and I'm looking at studying Linguistics at University.
At the moment I'm pretty set on Classical Civilisation and English Literature being two out of three of my new subjects, however I'm stuck on picking the last one out of Geography and History.

I'm considering History as I know it is well respected and would probably fit in with my other subjects as something very essay heavy. It's always something I've liked the idea of but I didn't take it at GCSE.
Geography, however, I did take at GCSE and I got an A in. I've always enjoyed it and been good at it, and I figure it might work well as it's still respected while being in contrast to my other subjects as it is slightly more objective and Science-y?
I've looked at what I would be studying next year for both subjects, and the History content looks like it could be boring at times while the Geography units I already have some basic knowledge of from GCSE.

My only other options as far as different subjects go are Government & Politics or Ethics & Philosophy. That is all that is available for me to take besides what I mentioned above.
The option of taking both History and Geography and dropping Classical Civilisation is something I'm reluctant to do. It's been recommended at open days that it would be useful for Linguistics and after talking to friends/lecturers I have my heart set on it.
Though I am leaning more toward doing Geography now I'm just looking for other opinions? Thanks!
I do Geography, I find it OK, not the most exciting, but it's really not very challenging at it is still a core, respected subject.....History is much harder I think! Also, how do you know what you got in GCSE yet? Also, if you are doing linguistics you probably want to do a language????
Reply 2
In my opinion you should to go with Geography. History is pretty annoying and difficult if your not interested in the topics where as with the Geography you like it, did it at GCSE and got a good grade.

With the other options like Government & Politics, I don't see how they would benefit getting into a Linguistics course, I would only consider them if you were interested in them. Also you have to think about when you come to write you UCAS statement you have to explain why your A levels are great for your course. And really what has Government & Politics to do with language?
Reply 3
Original post by TheNervousWreck
I do Geography, I find it OK, not the most exciting, but it's really not very challenging at it is still a core, respected subject.....History is much harder I think! Also, how do you know what you got in GCSE yet? Also, if you are doing linguistics you probably want to do a language????

Thanks! I finished my GCSEs last year so this will be my second year doing A Levels. I'd rather do a Language, as you said it would make sense, but my new sixth form don't offer them. My options are pretty limited. Thank you for your input!

Original post by Asheron
In my opinion you should to go with Geography. History is pretty annoying and difficult if your not interested in the topics where as with the Geography you like it, did it at GCSE and got a good grade.

With the other options like Government & Politics, I don't see how they would benefit getting into a Linguistics course, I would only consider them if you were interested in them. Also you have to think about when you come to write you UCAS statement you have to explain why your A levels are great for your course. And really what has Government & Politics to do with language?

Thank you very much, this was super helpful! That's what I was thinking. I figure even with Geography I could justify it a lot easier than I could with my other options.
History
Reply 5
Soft, pointless subjects so neither 😀

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
I chose Geography for AS, I did it along with maths, biology and chemistry. I was in a similar position at one point as I did consider history but I didn't like the content . I have loved geography this year (AS) and the topics I covered were fairly easy for me to understand as I had done them for GCSE too, I would recommend Geography as it's a good mixture of essays and scientific knowledge
Reply 7
Original post by brxvebird
Gonna try and keep this as short as I can. I'm moving and have my place at a new sixth form in September, and while they get really good results, they offer a limited selection of A Level subjects.
I've just finished my AS exams and I'm going to be taking on English Language onto A2 and starting three new A Levels, and I'm looking at studying Linguistics at University.
At the moment I'm pretty set on Classical Civilisation and English Literature being two out of three of my new subjects, however I'm stuck on picking the last one out of Geography and History.

I'm considering History as I know it is well respected and would probably fit in with my other subjects as something very essay heavy. It's always something I've liked the idea of but I didn't take it at GCSE.
Geography, however, I did take at GCSE and I got an A in. I've always enjoyed it and been good at it, and I figure it might work well as it's still respected while being in contrast to my other subjects as it is slightly more objective and Science-y?
I've looked at what I would be studying next year for both subjects, and the History content looks like it could be boring at times while the Geography units I already have some basic knowledge of from GCSE.

My only other options as far as different subjects go are Government & Politics or Ethics & Philosophy. That is all that is available for me to take besides what I mentioned above.
The option of taking both History and Geography and dropping Classical Civilisation is something I'm reluctant to do. It's been recommended at open days that it would be useful for Linguistics and after talking to friends/lecturers I have my heart set on it.
Though I am leaning more toward doing Geography now I'm just looking for other opinions? Thanks!

I agree i would definitely say go for history however because you didnt take it at GCSEs then i wouldnt as universities look for consistant study continuing a subject. Therefore i would personally choose geography not just because i love it but you know what it is like and with history the last time you have studied it in education is in KS3. Goodluck with the choice.
P.s
You could also consider your GCSE results and see if that influences your decision.
i did both history and geography at gcse and A level and personally i didn't like either of them, however if you really want to do one then i would go with history
Original post by supreme
Soft, pointless subjects so neither 😀

Posted from TSR Mobile

History is far from soft!
I did Geography AS, While doing at GCSE I found it ok as good at it and got an A, but it wasn't my most favourite of subjects
However I've grown to hate it now after AS. Particularly because of the essays we now have to do and I found it the most boring subject.
I thought it'll be a calm subject compared to my Maths, Biology and Chemistry but I found that I struggled the most in it and will be dropping it this year. I literally loathe Geography now.

I'd say take History, it sounds vastly more interesting - however still essays.
(edited 8 years ago)
History would compliment classical civilisation, but Geography might be a nice break from constant essays! I have taken both at AS and enjoyed them both immensely

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 12
history! :smile:
History because it's dope af. :colonhash: It's genuinely the study of 'why things are the way they are and how to change them'.
Original post by brxvebird

I took geography at AS with the intention of not carrying it on for the next year but loved it so much that it's a definite for next year! The essays and the detail of everything is far more intense but so much more interesting than GCSE so if you loved GCSE then I would definitely go for A Level too. Obviously depends on the exam board but although history is well respected, if you didn't take it at GCSE then you may not have the skills required for A Level if that makes sense?

Also seems that as you already have your heart set on geography you should do it, I would always go with your gut instinct and what you enjoy more than what you think is well respected, unless it is required for your degree in which case I suppose you have no choice. But go with what you enjoy and you'll get a better grade :smile: good luck
Rocks vs dead people
Rocks = Geology

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 17
Original post by LoveToArgue
History is far from soft!

It's a doss subject and should not be funded by tax payers money 😉

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest