The Student Room Group

GCSE option Geography or History

I'm in y9 and I honestly don't know what to choose i am quite a good student and I have better results in geography and I am top of my class but I find history more challenging and it's probably the only subject that I do find challenging honestly which akes me interested but also puts me off i am around average in history compared to my class mates i aim to achieve 9 in my GCSE i cant really remember dates that well but I'm sure if I studied hard i would be fine. However, I do not know what to choose because I think I want to be an author or journalist or something along yhe lines of writing and I asked me history teacher an he believes history is very suitable for those jobs? What do you think any opinions will really help since i need too choose soon ! Thank you you too whoever takes the time to see this !
Original post by Student0310=)
I'm in y9 and I honestly don't know what to choose i am quite a good student and I have better results in geography and I am top of my class but I find history more challenging and it's probably the only subject that I do find challenging honestly which akes me interested but also puts me off i am around average in history compared to my class mates i aim to achieve 9 in my GCSE i cant really remember dates that well but I'm sure if I studied hard i would be fine. However, I do not know what to choose because I think I want to be an author or journalist or something along yhe lines of writing and I asked me history teacher an he believes history is very suitable for those jobs? What do you think any opinions will really help since i need too choose soon ! Thank you you too whoever takes the time to see this !

Which one do you prefer? It seems you are capable of doing either and doing well in them.
What other options do you plan on taking?
Reply 2
Original post by Student0310=)

I would say, picking History would be an easier option. As History does revolve around writing and you wanting to achieve being in a job that involves writing, then History most definitely help. History is challenging for you and it's good because you would focus on something harder that will revolve around your future significantly. Just keep studying and practising about that subject. And you'll start to realise history isn't such a bad subject is all about learning the context and knowledges from texts and how the question would be structured, which is perfect for writing, no? But it is up to you.

(Also it is really hard for gcse that's what I've heard, but don't let that dicourage you from choosing what's good for you but of course if Geography is easier and more fun to you, you should pick that, it won't stop you from being a great journalist/author).
Reply 3
It really depends on your own interest. As someone doing both although I do igcses, history is definitely more content heavy and if you don’t have massive interest it would be quite hard to memorise all the stuff you would need to know. Geography is more like a mix of science ish stuff and a bit of econ(? Maybe for my board) but it requires actual understanding yet it isn’t that much stuff to remember (compared to history not saying it’s easy). Both requires essay writing skills and a really perceptive understanding of the content so it would be helpful for your writing career. I might suggest geography from what you say ..? Like I can’t remember dates that well too i am struggling a lot since there is an actual insane amount.

Quick Reply

Latest