The Student Room Group

Modern languages degree applicants

Hi, thought i'd start a thread for anyone starting a degree in languages or wants to next year. I'm going into year 13 and then want to do French and German at uni

Scroll to see replies

Sorry you've not had any responses about this. :frown: Are you sure you’ve posted in the right place? Posting in the specific Study Help forum should help get responses. :redface:

I'm going to quote in Tank Girl now so she can move your thread to the right place if it's needed. :h: :yy:

Spoiler

Original post by tebr
Hi, thought i'd start a thread for anyone starting a degree in languages or wants to next year. I'm going into year 13 and then want to do French and German at uni

I'm going into year 13 this year too and I wanna do French at uni! How did you find the exam?😊
Reply 3
Hi
I'm on OCR for French. I found the speaking exam comfortable but the other one à bit tricky. Hopefully still got an A though.

How about you?
Also, which unis are you thinking of applying to and have you started sitting your personal statement?
Reply 4
*writing
I'm on AQA, I found the speaking the best but I'm still happy with how the written exam went, so hopefully I got an A too!
Cardiff and Exeter are my favourite unis ive looked at so I'm definitely going to apply to them, and also Warwick, Southampton and Portsmouth (as a back up)
My sixth form made us start writing our personal statements in the last few weeks of term so I've done about 2 or 3 drafts and my tutor said I was pretty much done for now, I can tell you what I wrote which is specific to modern languages of you'd like?:smile:
Reply 6
Original post by coucouChar1997
I'm on AQA, I found the speaking the best but I'm still happy with how the written exam went, so hopefully I got an A too!
Cardiff and Exeter are my favourite unis ive looked at so I'm definitely going to apply to them, and also Warwick, Southampton and Portsmouth (as a back up)
My sixth form made us start writing our personal statements in the last few weeks of term so I've done about 2 or 3 drafts and my tutor said I was pretty much done for now, I can tell you what I wrote which is specific to modern languages of you'd like?:smile:

Yes please, that would be great:smile:
[QUOTE=tebr;58161821]Yes please, that would be great:smile:

I wrote about anytime I have been to france and how learning french had helped me, things I like studying now and want to improve on at uni/in the future, future plans after uni etc :smile:
Reply 8
I wrote about anytime I have been to france and how learning french had helped me, things I like studying now and want to improve on at uni/in the future, future plans after uni etc :smile:

Original post by tebr

It's Cambridge for me.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 10
Original post by Ser Alex Toyne
It's Cambridge for me.

Posted from TSR Mobile

You'll be starting at Cambridge next month?
Original post by tebr
You'll be starting at Cambridge next month?

Applying to it unfortunately.
Reply 12
Original post by Ser Alex Toyne
Applying to it unfortunately.

Nice
For which course?
And which other unis wil you be applying to?
Reply 13
Hi guys,

I have just graduated in French (and maths) at Leeds University and I really enjoyed the course!
There is a lot to do, (essay writing etc.), particularly in the final two years of the degree.

However. what I found most enjoyable and beneficial about my degree was my year in France during my third year. I spent it in Montpellier in the South of France and it was a great experience! It made me come out of my shell and I hope to go back there sometime soon!

To cut it short, if you are considering studying a language, make it worthwhile! Study hard, make the most of your year abroad and you are sure to be successful!

Good luck with the future :smile:
Original post by razzor
Hi guys,

I have just graduated in French (and maths) at Leeds University and I really enjoyed the course!
There is a lot to do, (essay writing etc.), particularly in the final two years of the degree.

However. what I found most enjoyable and beneficial about my degree was my year in France during my third year. I spent it in Montpellier in the South of France and it was a great experience! It made me come out of my shell and I hope to go back there sometime soon!

To cut it short, if you are considering studying a language, make it worthwhile! Study hard, make the most of your year abroad and you are sure to be successful!

Just wondering, what did you do in your year abroad? Did you help on a school, work, study at a uni etc? :smile:
Reply 15
Just wondering, what did you do in your year abroad? Did you help on a school, work, study at a uni etc? :smile:

I undertook French language classes at a local university! I was with other foreign people learning French :smile:
For uni back in the UK, I had to write an essay while I was there about my year abroad and how I benefited from it.
If you're applying for French (and Spanish ab initio), can you write the personal statement in French?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 17
Original post by razzor
Hi guys,

HiWhat sort of French modules did you take. I believe there is an emphasis on French Literature at uni level which concerns me. How did you find the literature? Is it in depth?Also, what job are you going to be starting?
[QUOTE=razzor;58180613]I undertook French language classes at a local university! I was with other foreign people learning French :smile:
For uni back in the UK, I had to write an essay while I was there about my year abroad and how I benefited from it.

Awesome, that sounds really good...hopefully when I do my year abroad (if I get into uni first) I'll be able to do a mixture of french lessons and teaching English in the south of France!
Reply 19
Original post by spurs9393
If you're applying for French (and Spanish ab initio), can you write the personal statement in French?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I don't think so. I applied for French and Spanish (both post A Level) and I wrote my personal statement in English. Let me know if you have any questions?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending