The Student Room Group

people who chose self-catered, how did you find it?

It looks pretty stressful for someone worried about money. E.g. is it too expensive living off sandwiches bought everyday/buying bread etc to make them everyday?

What have you found is a good way of going about self catered?
Any advice is also appreciated.
@SeemsToBe

I ve moved this to university life for you:smile:

The best way I found going about self catered is planning out what you re going to eat, makes life much easier as you re not going to the supermarket all the time.
There are plenty of student cookbook about if you re worried about cooking itself:smile:
Reply 2
Original post by claireestelle
@SeemsToBe

I ve moved this to university life for you:smile:

The best way I found going about self catered is planning out what you re going to eat, makes life much easier as you re not going to the supermarket all the time.
There are plenty of student cookbook about if you re worried about cooking itself:smile:

Thanks good idea, I haven't really got a plan yet. Is self catered generally more expensive though?
Original post by SeemsToBe
Thanks good idea, I haven't really got a plan yet. Is self catered generally more expensive though?

I think that all depends on what you eat and where you shop, you could feed yourself for around £20-30 a week with planning and using the cheaper supermarkets:smile:
Reply 4
Original post by claireestelle
I think that all depends on what you eat and where you shop, you could feed yourself for around £20-30 a week with planning and using the cheaper supermarkets:smile:

Thanks I'm trying not to panic haha.
Do you know any sites that go into detailed help about accomaodation and costs and all that? Rather than me taking your time asking you my millions of questions? :tongue:
Thanks I'm trying not to panic haha.
Do you know any sites that go into detailed help about accomaodation and costs and all that? Rather than me taking your time asking you my millions of questions? :tongue:

I m afraid I don't know a site off the top of my head. Throw all your questions at me, got plenty of time on my hands today:smile:
(You can send me them all in a pm if its easier for you :smile: )
It looks pretty stressful for someone worried about money. E.g. is it too expensive living off sandwiches bought everyday/buying bread etc to make them everyday?

What have you found is a good way of going about self catered?
Any advice is also appreciated.

Yes, I think it is too expensive to buy pre-made sandwiches. You also need a bit of variety. But I often made sandwiches for lunch (ham and cheese, an egg if I feel like it) and sometimes noodles (not pot noodles).

It may help to plan out your meals a week in advance, and write up a shopping list. It's so easy to forget things you need at the supermarket, and you end up buying stuff you don't need.

Also, I mostly made meals that last me two dinners each - after the first night I put it in a lunchbox and had it the next day.

They probably dish out free cookbooks during Freshers like they did at mine. Bbc, Laura Vitale etc have stuff you can do so it's worth looking at those.
Well, eating shop-made sandwiches every day is not going to be an option! (Unless you've got too much money too spend)
Play it right and it should work out massively cheaper than going catered - I don't think a basic weekly supermarket shop has cost me anything more than £20 a week (including the occasional supermarket or microwave meal which are the dearest things to buy - you definitely need to cook), could probably go down to £10 if I was really stingy.
I'd recommend learning how to cook basic, cheap meals before you go. Make a pot of (for example) chilli or curry. Divide it into 5. Freeze 4 of them. Rice costs next to nothing, and you've got five decent home-made meals for the few £ it cost to buy the ingredients. Pasta is also very cheap, as are potatoes.

Once you know what you can cook and what you need to buy, grocery shopping becomes incredibly easy. You can stock up on canned goods when they're on multibuy offers, share things like condiments with housemates, etc.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending