The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Physics by a large amount. There just is NO comparison.

Biologists/Chemists are utterly inferior (in every imaginable way) to Physicists.

Physicists make true and good Scientists!
Reply 2
Too many things are based on Physics, like photoelectric effect, if that wernt around we would be here. then biology> chemistry
Reply 3
Biology is the study of life.. and what makes Earth unique (as far as we know at the moment) is that it has living things on it.

I do think all 3 are roughly equal though (with biology taking the edge :p:), just in different ways.
Reply 4
Herzliebe
Physics by a large amount. There just is NO comparison.

Biologists/Chemists are utterly inferior (in every imaginable way) to Physicists.

Physicists make true and good Scientists!

Physics.... superior..... 100 years ago maybe.:p:
Reply 5
Physics.
Rattata
Right, i want to get this straight.

Why do you think biology/chemistry/physics is the most important Science?

Ultimately, every biological and chemical process is a matter of physics.
Chemistry and biology are merely ways of inadequately describing the macroscopic physical behaviour of large collections of quarks and vector-force fields. :biggrin:
Reply 7
in the end everything succombs to the power of maths.
Wangers
in the end everything succombs to the power of maths.

And when did maths become a science ?
Reply 9
Who cares about which science is the most fundamental anyways? It's not as if anyone owns the science.
What would Biologists do without Chemistry?
What would Physicists do without Chemistry?

Chemistry definitely. It is known as the core science for a reason.
Reply 11
mizfissy815
What would Biologists do without Chemistry?
What would Physicists do without Chemistry?

Chemistry definitely. It is known as the core science for a reason.

Biologists wouldn't have a job.

Physicists would have a difficult job. :wink:
Reply 12
fundamentally

It is a science! It involves formulating and proving theories, and so is a science, unlike psychology where there are just theories with hardly any proof.
Reply 13
fundamentally

Maths involves predictions and rigorous testing of hypothesis. Thus it is a Science. Besides maths provides all the analytical tools for Chemistry, Biology and Physics.

I urge you to explain where science would be without numbers and rigorous mathematical methods.
Physics, but it's boring!
fundamentally

Maths is everything. Sceince, art and everything in between.

Without maths all the sciences would be no where. Maths is the most important thing of all. At higher levels I have heard people say this:

biology is applied chemistry, chemistry is applied physics and phyiscs is applied maths. Shows the chain that maths leads to everything else.
Reply 16
Wangers
Maths involves predictions and rigorous testing of hypothesis. Thus it is a Science. Besides maths provides all the analytical tools for Chemistry, Biology and Physics.

I urge you to explain where science would be without numbers and rigorous mathematical methods.

Equally you could argue that english is a science because without it it would make the study of chemistry, biology and physics nearly impossible. As correct as your statement is it doesn't make it anymore of a science, nor does it prove your first assertion correct.

Maths is simply a tool for understanding science, it is not a science itself because it tells us absolutely nothing about reality. The moment you apply it to reality (e.g. y = mx becomes f = ma) it becomes physics. Does it make it any less valuable? Of course not, infact it is perhaps more valuable because the sciences rely on it more than maths relies on the sciences.
Reply 17
Morgan141
Equally you could argue that english is a science because without it it would make the study of chemistry, biology and physics nearly impossible. As correct as your statement is it doesn't make it anymore of a science, nor does it prove your first assertion correct.

Maths is simply a tool for understanding science, it is not a science itself because it tells us absolutely nothing about reality. The moment you apply it to reality (e.g. y = mx becomes f = ma) it becomes physics. Does it make it any less valuable? Of course not, infact it is perhaps more valuable because the sciences rely on it more than maths relies on the sciences.

Thats utterly ridiculous. How do you think people in China are taught biology, Chemistry and Physics - a good guess would be using Chinese.....There are other languages that enable communication you know....

Maths on the other hand is almost universal, If I write a mathematical expression, regardless of what language the other person speaks, is taught in, as long as they understand mathematics to a sufficent level, they will understand it. Mathematical logic is elagent in that language dosnt matter.
Reply 18
Wangers
Thats utterly ridiculous. How do you think people in China are taught biology, Chemistry and Physics - a good guess would be using Chinese.....There are other languages that enable communication you know....

I realised the mistake as soon as I posted it but I assumed that didn't need to be pointed out, but fair enough I'll rephrase it.

'Equally you could argue that languages in general are a science because without them it would make the study of chemistry, biology and physics nearly impossible'

Wangers
Maths on the other hand is almost universal, If I write a mathematical expression, regardless of what language the other person speaks, is taught in, as long as they understand mathematics to a sufficent level, they will understand it. Mathematical logic is elagent in that language dosnt matter.

Again that's wonderful and completely true, but it doesn't make it science. It makes it a tool, certainly a bloody useful one, but a tool nevertheless.
Reply 19
Maths is not a Science. That's just a silly thing to suggest. Maths is an entity and is generally a 'tool' for the sciences.

Nobody else should mention maths. I'm assuming it has nothing to do with this topic.

Latest

Trending

Trending