The Student Room Group

Psychology courses.

Hello. at the moment i am starting to think about university choices and realistically i would love to study a psychology course. I

really want to study psychology at a russell group university looking at especially nottingham, leeds and manchester. However these courses have a requirement of B in maths GCSE and english language . I achieved a C in maths and A* in english language.

For my AS results i achieved AAB which are or above the requirements i need to get into the psychology courses one of the A's being in psychology and target at A2 to be A* so surely that demonstrates i am capable to do the subject? I was wondering whether i could have feedback on how lenient or strict universities are on the requirements of the C in GCSE maths when applying for psychology courses?

Thankyou xx
Original post by lotniamh
Hello. at the moment i am starting to think about university choices and realistically i would love to study a psychology course. I

really want to study psychology at a russell group university looking at especially nottingham, leeds and manchester. However these courses have a requirement of B in maths GCSE and english language . I achieved a C in maths and A* in english language.

For my AS results i achieved AAB which are or above the requirements i need to get into the psychology courses one of the A's being in psychology and target at A2 to be A* so surely that demonstrates i am capable to do the subject? I was wondering whether i could have feedback on how lenient or strict universities are on the requirements of the C in GCSE maths when applying for psychology courses?

Thankyou xx

Hey There!

You should still give your preferred choices a go! Clearing is one of those unpredictable things where you never know what's going to happen :smile:

I know we're encouraging people to give us a ring - even if its just for a chat with people who want to help.

-- I also want to give a shout out to our Psychology course which ranked top in the country for overall satisfaction (Q22) and top for the average score across all 22 questions out of 111 institutions :h:

Our admissions team is 01522 886097 or [email protected]
Original post by lotniamh

Thankyou xx

Psychology as a degree often includes a substantial amount of statistics - that's why they have a Maths GCSE requirement. Generally universities are unlikely to let GCSE requirements slip as they're usually necessary to do well on the course. If you apply to Psychology degrees without a B in maths and without indicating that you're resitting maths GCSE on your application I'm afraid you're likely to end up with rejections :frown:

Some Psychology degrees have more maths support built into the course itself and don't insist on a B but a C grade at GCSE. I'd suggest you keep looking - eg https://www.sheffield.ac.uk/prospectus/courseDetails.do?id=C8022016 and http://www.southampton.ac.uk/psychology/undergraduate/courses/c800_bsc_psychology.page?#entry and http://www.liv.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/courses/psychology-bsc-hons/entry-requirements/ are all Russell group and only require a C in GCSE maths.

Original post by UniLincolnRep
Hey There!

You should still give your preferred choices a go! Clearing is one of those unpredictable things where you never know what's going to happen :smile:

I know we're encouraging people to give us a ring - even if its just for a chat with people who want to help.

-- I also want to give a shout out to our Psychology course which ranked top in the country for overall satisfaction (Q22) and top for the average score across all 22 questions out of 111 institutions :h:

Our admissions team is 01522 886097 or [email protected]

The OP is not talking about Clearing but applying in the main cycle for 2016 entry

Quick Reply

Latest