The Student Room Group

I improved C/D grades(at AS) into A/A*s...(at A2) AMA

i managed to improve C/D grades at AS into A/A*s at A2 within a year... feel free to ask me anything (relevant :h:)

Scroll to see replies

Hi well done for your amazing grades! I was just going to ask what did you do differently this year compared to last year? Any advice you would give to someone who was in the same position as you last year? :smile: thanks!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by rakib567
i managed to improve C/D grades at AS into A/A*s at A2 within a year... feel free to ask me anything (relevant :h:)

so you did your AS resits alongside your A2 exams? and what subjects ?
Reply 3

What subjects?

Did you resit all of your exams?

What strategy/difference approach did you use?
Reply 4
Original post by Emad1993
so you did your AS resits alongside your A2 exams? and what subjects ?

yes. Bio chem maths at a2

Ahh i got Cs is both c1 and c2 but somehow my whole class got a U in d1...

I am thinking of retaking d1 during a2 but what sort of grades would i need to pull my maths up to an A or a B from the current D
yes. Bio chem maths at a2

and what exam boards? what are you applying for in uni? did you get accepted?
WOWIE!!!! That's brilliant, well done!!!!

How on earth did you do it?
What did you do differently?
When did you take your exams?
What subjects did you do?

Sorry for all the questions but I just got BCDD in my AS results and was wondering what else I can do to get those higher?

Cas
Reply 8
Original post by Windies
What subjects?

Did you resit all of your exams?

What strategy/difference approach did you use?

i retook 8 exams and 1 empa. i only left 2 empas and 1 AS exam as they were. i retook everything else
Hey :smile: So I didn't quite get the grades the unis I want to apply for request, do you think it's still worth applying/ will they take my application seriously? really worried about what to do here!! :smile:

Hi well done for your amazing grades! I was just going to ask what did you do differently this year compared to last year? Any advice you would give to someone who was in the same position as you last year? :smile: thanks!

Posted from TSR Mobile
I got CDEE and I want to retake a few alongside my A2s. What's the best advice?
How did you do it???

Posted from TSR Mobile
How ????? Please tell us everything in detail

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 14
Strategies

Mid August to Jan:

- bought the new A2 books before anybody else
- Started to learn the material before the teacher taught it ( this is done so that when the teacher covers it the first time it would count as your own revision)
- when actually self-studying the material yourself, i used various videos and internet sources. when studying i either just read the book or make notes (from various sources as the book does not cover everything).
- After that I practiced the textbook questions to consolidate my knowledge.
- I did this for every topic for every subject until i finished all syllabuses around January time. (schools usually finish teaching the syllabus in April)

Feb to April:
-i did real exam questions by topic. (these are usually old spec questions)

April to Exam
- Past papers from 2002-2014 for each unit (obviously sometimes your not going to be able to do all the papers so make sure you try to do as much as possible)

Exam:
- Go in the exam super focused. Don't let anything distract you (especially the invigilators bad sense of fashion :u:)
- Start the exam from the questions at the back. This might seem odd but trust me it works! It only makes sense to do the hardest questions first and do the easiest later on. Also in some exams like BIOL5 AQA which require an essay at the end, it is useful to just look the essay titles first so that you can pick up ideas as you go through the other questions.

Good Luck :biggrin:
Reply 15
Original post by em-robertss
Hey :smile: So I didn't quite get the grades the unis I want to apply for request, do you think it's still worth applying/ will they take my application seriously? really worried about what to do here!! :smile:

i took the bold decision to not to apply at all. but if want you can apply to another course and reject them if you improve your grades.
Hi, congrats on your progress. I just wanted to ask, how did your AS results affect predictions and University applications? Did you have to apply to Uni courses with lower requirements? Did you improve your predicted grades?
Reply 17
Original post by Cheunghr01
Hi, congrats on your progress. I just wanted to ask, how did your AS results affect predictions and University applications? Did you have to apply to Uni courses with lower requirements? Did you improve your predicted grades?

I actually didn't apply at all. But if you want to apply for this cycle i would suggest trying to squeeze out the most out of your predictions and apply for the best course as possible.
Original post by Dawkinator
I got CDEE and I want to retake a few alongside my A2s. What's the best advice?

lol I got exact same grades as you ?!
Original post by ultimatefailz
lol I got exact same grades as you ?!

I want to retake the main geography paper (geography was an E), because I want to do it an uni. Is it possible and how?

Quick Reply

Latest