The Student Room Group
I imagine all of them receive partial funding at least, except Cornell which is almost entirely dependant. But my knowledge of American colleges is shaky, despite the fact that I'm actually going...
Reply 2
I really don't see the point in making this thread, but since it is here, I'll write a reply.

I'm not sure about the funding of private universities in the US, but I think it's good to give private universites public funding as well. When the tuition fees are equal, people won't doubt about applying to Ivy League universities because they think they earn to less and they either don't have the money to go there (they don't know they can get good financial aid for example) or don't want to go there because they think there are too many rich snobbish people.
While the level of teaching and the community should not be changed, I think funding private universities is a good thing. It's dangers are of course that it might grow too big and accept too many underqualified when it gets loads of money, but I assume that they are very smart and keep the special community and teaching level they've got.
lol_nl
I really don't see the point in making this thread, but since it is here, I'll write a reply.

I'm not sure about the funding of private universities in the US, but I think it's good to give private universites public funding as well. When the tuition fees are equal, people won't doubt about applying to Ivy League universities because they think they earn to less and they either don't have the money to go there (they don't know they can get good financial aid for example) or don't want to go there because they think there are too many rich snobbish people.
While the level of teaching and the community should not be changed, I think funding private universities is a good thing. It's dangers are of course that it might grow too big and accept too many underqualified when it gets loads of money, but I assume that they are very smart and keep the special community and teaching level they've got.

Ivy leagues schools DO fund people of poorer backgrounds with scholarships, which in the case of american unis and their fees are FAR more generous than UK universities.
These Scholarship funds are basically paid for not by the state (american state giving money to its citizens? that would require tax money needed for the military and breaks for the rich being diverted) but by the donations of alumni.
The amount fo money given by alumni in the US makes a mockery of the UK system. its one reason why unis here like cambridge dedicate ALOT fo resources to setting up stuff for alumini in america. they give more generously.
Reply 4
Jamie
The amount fo money given by alumni in the US makes a mockery of the UK system. its one reason why unis here like cambridge dedicate ALOT fo resources to setting up stuff for alumini in america. they give more generously.

It's rather embarrassing how little we Brits are prepared to give in terms of charity and to funds like that. To my mind, it's because everyone feels over taxed and expects the state to do everything for them.

I grew up with quite a different approach since I lived in an affluent village that had had the only (extremely safe-seated) Tory councillor in a Labour-controlled local authority. Hence the idea that the state would do anything for us was laughable.
Reply 5
Jamie
Ivy leagues schools DO fund people of poorer backgrounds with scholarships, which in the case of american unis and their fees are FAR more generous than UK universities.
These Scholarship funds are basically paid for not by the state (american state giving money to its citizens? that would require tax money needed for the military and breaks for the rich being diverted) but by the donations of alumni.

New York City (or it might be New York State) actually gives $1,000 per year to every college student (who's a permanent resident of New York) who maintains a B average (not very hard). It might not help if you're going to a private college, but it helps if you're going to a city (average tuition of about $4,000 a year) or a community (average tuition of about $2,500) college.

As for the original question, private universities do receive a limited amount of government funding to hand out some loans to students and to conduct some research that the government deems important.
Bismarck
New York City (or it might be New York State) actually gives $1,000 per year to every college student (who's a permanent resident of New York) who maintains a B average (not very hard). It might not help if you're going to a private college, but it helps if you're going to a city (average tuition of about $4,000 a year) or a community (average tuition of about $2,500) college.

As for the original question, private universities do receive a limited amount of government funding to hand out some loans to students and to conduct some research that the government deems important.

ack
when you say college you mean university yes?

All i know is that the state funding of univeristies in america is pretty laughable compared to the UK, but the charitable donations/monies left in will recieved by UK universities is 100x more laughable than the american unis.

its a joke when you look at the money harvard has compared to oxford and cambridge. the government should have done something about it years ago.
Reply 7
Jamie
ack
when you say college you mean university yes?

All i know is that the state funding of univeristies in america is pretty laughable compared to the UK, but the charitable donations/monies left in will recieved by UK universities is 100x more laughable than the american unis.

its a joke when you look at the money harvard has compared to oxford and cambridge. the government should have done something about it years ago.

Yes, college = university. I could never understand how Brits can call the last two years of high school "college", but then still have UCL and KCL...

That depends on which colleges you're talking about. I don't think it would be a stretch to say that at least a third of Americans go to public (whether state, city, or community) colleges, which are funded mainly by the government. Each state usually has one pretty good public college too. UC Berkley and UCLA in California. Ohio State in Ohio. Michigan State in Michigan. Virginia State in Virginia. Binghamton and Stony Brook in New York. Etc. Personally, I went to a city college for my undergrad, and nearly half of the college's funding came from alumni. And City University of New York (CUNY) as a whole is attempting to raise $1.2 billion in private money over the next 5 years. And this is despite CUNY costing no more than a British university.
Reply 8
Jamie

I'm not saying that they DON'T give money to poor people, but that poor people are less likely to apply for them anyway:
lol_nl
When the tuition fees are equal, people won't doubt about applying to Ivy League universities because they think they earn to less and they either don't have the money to go there (they don't know they can get good financial aid for example) or don't want to go there because they think there are too many rich snobbish people.

Ok, I'm not a black guy from a Missisippi family whose mother was a drop-out and got pregnant at age 16, but I can imagine that people from there (sorry for stereotyping Missisippi people, just wanted to give an example) is less likely to APPLY for Harvard because they either don't know much about it or don't want to go there (because it has an elite reputation).
Don't know how I came to the tuition fees part. That's was a kind of nonsense, sorry.
Reply 9
lol_nl
I'm not saying that they DON'T give money to poor people, but that poor people are less likely to apply for them anyway:

And yet if the "poor" (anyone whose parents make under $40,000, which is anything but poor) get in, they don't have to pay a penny once in Harvard or Princeton.

Ok, I'm not a black guy from a Missisippi family whose mother was a drop-out and got pregnant at age 16, but I can imagine that people from there (sorry for stereotyping Missisippi people, just wanted to give an example) is less likely to APPLY for Harvard because they either don't know much about it or don't want to go there (because it has an elite reputation).
Don't know how I came to the tuition fees part. That's was a kind of nonsense, sorry.

Everyone knows about Harvard.
lol_nl

the idea of scholarships ISN'T to get more poor people in.Its to get more poor people in WHO ARE EDUCATED.

Poor people = less education. universities can do nothing about this, nor shoudl they.
the only social responsiblity you can possibly put on their shoulders is top ensure money is not a factor/less a factor as to whether you can go toa decent uni. they do that admirably.

Latest

Trending

Trending