The Student Room Group

How important is the SAT?

I'm in Y13 and applying to some ivy league schools (for STEM), I'm predicted 4A*s (contextually uncommon) and have quite a lot of ECs like internships and volunteering. Would being test optional disadvantage me? or is it not important if the rest of your application is strong?

If I attempted the SAT, what is the minimum score I should aim for to not hinder the rest of my application?
Reply 1
Most universities are test optional now so I wouldn't really waste any time on it.
Original post by Anonymous
I'm in Y13 and applying to some ivy league schools (for STEM), I'm predicted 4A*s (contextually uncommon) and have quite a lot of ECs like internships and volunteering. Would being test optional disadvantage me? or is it not important if the rest of your application is strong?

If I attempted the SAT, what is the minimum score I should aim for to not hinder the rest of my application?

As an American, I've gotten a bunch of letters from Harvard stressing that they are test optional and while the test may help, not having the test isn't a big deal. So...I guess it depends whether you want to take their word for it. I think with your application the SAT wouldn't help a ton, especially because you aren't American. If you take the SAT and get below a 1500, I would say don't include it in the application. But look at each Ivy League independently for what they want.
i don't know, but my guess is not sending a test score would be a disadvantage. i would google the specific ivy league school and look at the profile of the admitted students. it might show their average test score

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending