The Student Room Group

To those who received poor/bad A(s) levels this year...

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
hi ,

i recieved u and d grade is AS math and i resat it and got AA but now i have an overall c in chemistry and b in physics is it possible to get A*AA in the end?
Reply 61
Original post by daniellj
Don't worry,,, i got an E in physics AS and went to an A in A2 after resitting

were u also doing Edexcel Physics?
and did u resit the whole AS?
and, throughout the year i always worked a lot on doing Physics, and i also practiced a lot already. when prepping for the resits what exactly did u do? just go over it again?
That's what i plan to do before January anyways
Thanks
Original post by OrionMusicNet
No I have seen far worse. Even if you can't apply to the uni you want to now, if you work hard then you can exceed your predicted grades and just go into adjustment.

I got CCD and a pass in btec health and social care. the unis I want to apply for wants ABB or 300 points, is it worth to apply?
Original post by chakki1605
I got CCD and a pass in btec health and social care. the unis I want to apply for wants ABB or 300 points, is it worth to apply?

Ultimately I think you would need to resit your exams and re apply the next year if you don't want to lower your standard of uni. The only way you could get around it would be with extenuating circumstances or an amazing personal statement.
To the thread starter...thank you for that message :smile:....
I'm an International Candidate and I did 4 subjects for AS this year (Maths and the 3 Sciences)
I received:
Biology- U
Chemistry- E
Maths- U
Physics- U

I'll be repeating my exams in Jan 2016 and plan to get 3A's for AS as I'm dropping Physics since I find it really difficult

To all the remaining above, congratulations on doing better than me.
I got a U in one of my subjects at AS Level. Does this mean I can't do A2 in this subject? I am truly gutted I got this grade and am even more gutted at the thought of not being able to do A2.
Original post by mushfique97
To the thread starter...thank you for that message :smile:....
I'm an International Candidate and I did 4 subjects for AS this year (Maths and the 3 Sciences)
I received:
Biology- U
Chemistry- E
Maths- U
Physics- U

I'll be repeating my exams in Jan 2016 and plan to get 3A's for AS as I'm dropping Physics since I find it really difficult

To all the remaining above, congratulations on doing better than me.

Are you gonna do Maths again?
Original post by Niyi Aderounmu
Are you gonna do Maths again?

Yes I will do maths
Original post by SeanFM
About your teacher and that particular exam, you can get your referee to mention it and it explains your grades. You could be predicted ABB or A*BB, or ACC again, so it's possible that your predicted grades could match the entry requirements, and even if they don't, there's no harm in applying. And make sure that the rest of your application is well-rounded.

Thank you for the reply.

Who will be my referee .. my head of year or my history teacher?
Original post by Fleming1928
Thank you for the reply.

Who will be my referee .. my head of year or my history teacher?

For my school, it was neither. We had someone who works specifically to write references, deal with work experience, etc and they write stuff, part of which they get from each of the teachers and the head of year. Who covers the extenuating circumstances, I'm not sure. If you mention it to your head of year and ask it to be put in the reference it should be fine.
Original post by SeanFM
For my school, it was neither. We had someone who works specifically to write references, deal with work experience, etc and they write stuff, part of which they get from each of the teachers and the head of year. Who covers the extenuating circumstances, I'm not sure. If you mention it to your head of year and ask it to be put in the reference it should be fine.

Okay, thank you :biggrin:
Original post by wannabe medic
Yep I'm doing maths again

At GCSE I didn't revise maths and I got an A* - i have never considered maths a weakness - but I absolutely hate the subject

I got a C in core 1 ( I spent the whole of easter revising this)
I got a U in core 2 (i had a plan where I'd take this this year instead so decided to focus solely on core 1 - and you can see that went badly)
I got a C in statistics ( but I only revised the night before so I'm hoping that this year this grade will go up)

but core 1 and 2 are impossible

C1 and C2 is definitely not impossible. I got C and B last year for them alongside an E for S1 and got a high D, retook the year and got B, A (nearly full marks) and a C with a B overall, 12 UMS from an A, so it is definitely possible
Hey guys,

Following my disappointing AS grades, I decided to move college in order to attain a hopefully fresh start. I got relatively good GCSEs, however was unprepared for the jump between GCSE and A level.

At enrollment at the new college, it was advised that I restart year 12 under the new specification, where exams are taken at the end of a 2 year period in a linear fashion.

However, the problem with this is it means I will have taken 3 years to do my A levels, which excludes me from applying to the majority of the dental schools.

My question is: Is it possible to obfuscate my current AS results and not write them on my UCAS form, when I apply 2 years from now after completing the new spec? The teacher at enrollment said that I can say that due to the extenuating circumstances I underwent, I didn't manage to complete my initial year of AS, despite this being untrue.

Will the universities I apply to have any way of knowing this, since I will have changed college and have new qualifications with said new college? Or will they universities be able to see the AS grades I received this year, and thus know I've taken more than 2 years to complete my A levels?

P.S - due to the new system starting September, apparently you don't need to display your AS levels when applying to university in year 13, only the full qualifications (being A2s), is this true? If so, does this mean if by starting afresh at a new college with new qualifications, that I won't have to declare my current AS results anyway?

Thank you so much if you took the time to read this, I appreciate it!
Hi guys I need some advice. I got BBCC for my AS levels in Maths, Further Maths, Physics and Biology respectively. I really want to study engineering at Imperial, is it feasible to get two or more A* with those AS grades? Or should I just restart the whole AS year If I go onto A2 I'll have to take a gap year as my predicted grades definitely won't be enough for imperial, but I also heard that resitting year 12 kills your chances of Oxbridge and Imperial.

Also should I continue with all four subjects? I only say this because Imperial either wants two A* and an A or 1 A* and 3 A's, I'm not sure which option is easier. Any advice on this would be extremely appreciated

P.S- I'm pretty confident that I can do better than this I know A2 is a lot harder but I don't think I lack the ability
Original post by emilysmith123
in jan?? can we resit in jan? x

I thought the January exams were scrapped !!!???
Hey guys I need advice

I got ABCCD in my AS, them being Turkish,Chemistry, maths, geography

I don't know what to do, I don't know if I should resist because I want to study biomedical sciences at a Russell group university, not London ones and not Oxbridge as I already live in London.
Would I be able to get A*AAB with those grades?
I've dropped geography for A2
My AS grades were for Turkish,chemistry,biology,maths and geography
I got CCEU (photography, geography, biology and maths- in order).
I am being forced to drop maths because I got a U, was originally very upset but now understand it's for the better and I really was struggling, so it'll free up a lot more time to focus on biology.
I'm planning to study midwifery at uni, and most offer places with AAB. I am retaking all 3 biology units (AQA) whilst doing A2. I am also retaking 1 geography exam, as I got a C overall despite A's all year. Photography isn't my favourite but it's reasonably easier to achieve higher grades as it's coursework based and can be easily corrected.

Does anyone have any tips for biology? I need at least a B for uni and my school are predicting me an E for A-level.

Thank you!
I got BCDD in chemistry, biology, physics and maths. (All AS). Do you think it is still possible to aim for AAA so long as I sit a few retakes alongside A2? I'm planning on dropping physics and also have sent off for a few of my papers to be remarked.
Original post by iamabbie97
I got CCEU (photography, geography, biology and maths- in order).
I am being forced to drop maths because I got a U, was originally very upset but now understand it's for the better and I really was struggling, so it'll free up a lot more time to focus on biology.
I'm planning to study midwifery at uni, and most offer places with AAB. I am retaking all 3 biology units (AQA) whilst doing A2. I am also retaking 1 geography exam, as I got a C overall despite A's all year. Photography isn't my favourite but it's reasonably easier to achieve higher grades as it's coursework based and can be easily corrected.

Does anyone have any tips for biology? I need at least a B for uni and my school are predicting me an E for A-level.

Thank you!

Hey, Im planning to study midwifery as well and and i achieved a BCDU in Media, Government and Politics, Biology and Chemistry. Im dropping chem because of the U- although it was one of my favourite subjects and i got an A in GCSE i just found doing two sciences alongside each other really difficult. I plan to resit one of my biology units (OCR) as i got an E In it whilst securing a B In the first module and Coursework (1 mark of and A):unimpressed:. Hopefully i can Achieve an A.

Biology is difficult but ive found youtube videos and making posters really really helpful as well as past papers and the mark schemes. Knowing stuff isn't enough you also need to know how to put it on paper and past papers help with that - they also help with condensing knowledge into something you will remember rather than a long paragraph explaining the replication of DNA using the semi conservative method or whatever :biggrin:.
Also using keywords as they can help replace a good couple of words you don't need.

I hope that helps and good luck! x :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest