The Student Room Group

"Junk Mail" - Has anyone got any?...

Hi everyone :smile:

I am doing an investigation into the techniques used by charities/companies in order to persuade and advertise.

The majority of households receive this type of mail on a regular basis as I'm sure we are all aware ... :rolleyes: which is often considered "junk mail" and hence thrown in the bin or the more environmentally friendy amongst us recycle! :p:

However, I am looking to collect as much potential data for my investigation as possible and have collected a few items already. Although, I thought asking a wider audience may increase my chances of receiving a more nationwide spread of data.

If anyone has any lying around which you think may fit this criteria, I would greatly appreciate you to let me know!

Thanks in advance of your rummagings! :smile:
JellyBellyBaby
Hi everyone :smile:

I am doing an investigation into the techniques used by charities/companies in order to persuade and advertise.

The majority of households receive this type of mail on a regular basis as I'm sure we are all aware ... :rolleyes: which is often considered "junk mail" and hence thrown in the bin or the more environmentally friendy amongst us recycle! :p:

However, I am looking to collect as much potential data for my investigation as possible and have collected a few items already. Although, I thought asking a wider audience may increase my chances of receiving a more nationwide spread of data.

If anyone has any lying around which you think may fit this criteria, I would greatly appreciate you to let me know!

Thanks in advance of your rummagings! :smile:

We've got charities (age concern, help the aged, christian aid), clothing catalogues, and some about engineering materials, and finally an advert for buying land in a wood.

If that helps at all...
Reply 2
We get both the collection bags (about 8 different charities) and various begging letters, ALWAYS with free branded biros...
Hi :smile: Thanks for the quick replies - much appreciated! Do any of you have scanners?
oh halls of residence are always being spammed by take aways, mainly pizza & indian. Also flyers for cheap nights out, clubbing/pubs/Student Union related etc.

Back home it's more the charity bags, which is fine, but not EVERY week (sometimes even 2 a week), how much stuff do they think we have?? - Currently have an oxfam one.

We get the odd Christian one/jehovah's witness one...

Oh also, because my mum one bought something from "Betterware" & "Kleeneze" we get them all the time, as well as my dad's "Screwfix Direct" and some motorbike shop catalogue, because he bought his bike there years ago...

Come to think of it, put all the junk mail in the charity bags:p: :redface:

Hope that helps
Reply 5
It annoys me that charities spend money to make money. The pens are useful though :biggrin:
Reply 6
We get a mixture of leaflets and collection bags which are shoved through the door whenever. Letters address to 'the occupier' often delivered by the postman, from british gas, bt etc. As well as ones from charities (some of who may have had our address in the past for a reason, but most of which we havn't had anything to do with), catalogues (same as with charities).

Thats all I can think off - havn't really got anything at the moment, but get stuff most days, I have got a scanner so could send you some stuff if you want. What is it you would need scanning?
If anyone could scan and upload any of the items mentioned above a.s.a.p(mainly charity ones in particular but it all helps!) i.e scan the leaflet, letter, flyer so it is possible to read the text and see the layout, pictures etc.

Greatly appreciated :smile:
It's surprising how in the last half an hour whilst cooking something to eat I came across 2 more pieces lying around the house that could be useful. It's surprising just how much we actually get! Has anyone else found anything suitable to upload?
Just thought i'd throw this open again this morning :smile:
Check your post! :p:
Anyone found anything?
Have got some stuff I can scan for you, but prob won't be able to do it until monday. Is that any use?
Reply 12
Fabric (the nightclub) litter our halls with posters if they manage to tailgate someone into the building. They put them in all the letterboxes.
I keep getting sent address labels with my name and address on and some dodgy logo (latest ones were teddy bears from help the aged...wth? I *like* help the aged as a charity and donate money to them (anonymously) whenever I can but I don't want dodgy teddy bear labels)

It all goes in the recycling ASAP, unless they've included a postage paid envelope in which case I send it all back with a note telling them to stop sending me junk or they go on my "no money for these charities" list - I'm on the postal preference service so they shouldn't send me this stuff.

I do keep the pens though - and the RSPB once sent me a 2p piece through the post which went in the penny jar...
Just thought i'd re-open this thread as I could and would appreciate some more data (specifically letters from charities e.g. NSPCC, RSPCA, Age Concern, Red Cross persuading you to donate money).

You have to have a scanner in order to upload them and tonight is the last chance I have to collect any more data.

Thanks to everyone who has helped so far :smile:
x

Latest

Trending

Trending