The Student Room Group
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes

Diff between BA (Hons) and BSc (Hons)?

Good day fellows,

allow to introduce myself in a few words: my name's Herbert and I'm a possible student of the OU (provided that final budget calculation allows, that is: I'm from Switzerland which makes everything a bit more expensive - a lot more, actually). I'd be one of the more mature ones, I guess; mind you, haven't seen any educational organization from the inside within the past 20 years... However, now I'm willing to take the full programme I once opted to skip in favor of my work as a programmer. Why? The answer's easy: just to eventually learn much of the theoretical background with which I still struggle (although I've invested much in autodidactic education).

Anyway, I've assembled a programme which I think should suit my needs to earn a "BA (Hons) or BSc (Hons) Computing and Mathematical Sciences" after approx. 6 years. And right from the start the title is somewhat unclear to me, more specifically: why is is a BA *or* BSc? How do the both differ? All courses mention suitability for BA or BSc: I found no single piece of information on the OU pages. Maybe someone wants to enlighten me?

Also, I would be interested very much in discussing my selection of modules with someone who is going towards the same goal (or already went through the programme), either by mail or right here in this thread.

Well, that's it for now, looking forward to your answers :smile:
//Donar
This is a weird thing that the OU do.

I am pretty sure that a bachelors degree in computing/maths would be a BSc. I don't know why the OU imply there is a choice!

PS for social science degrees you can pick BA or BSc, which presents a dilemma ... to go for the BSc because it looks better on the CV even though you know that social science isn't really science at all?
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes
Reply 2
Basically, you need 360 credits to get the degree. For the degree course, there will be several required modules. However, the credits for these will add up to less than the required 360. You can then take the remaining credits in anything you like (not just computing or maths).

If you do mostly science modules, you will receive a BSc. If you do mainly arts modules, you will receive a BA.

I've found this on the OU website which might help:

Many of our courses are equally suitable for inclusion in either a BA or BSc; some are more suitable for one or the other. The degree you get will depend upon the balance of courses you have chosen. If at least 180 of the points you need for a 360-point degree come from courses that we have judged suitable for a BA, that is the degree you will be awarded. If at least 180 points come from courses we have judged suitable for a BSc, you will be awarded a BSc. For the Open degree without honours, these amounts are reduced to 150 points. If you want honours, at least 60 of the relevant points must be at Level 3.

The information in the course descriptions will tell you which category each course is in. Briefly the categories are as follows:

Courses suitable for a BA

Normally all courses with a course code that includes the letters A, B, D, E, K, L, M, U, W

Courses suitable for a BSc

Normally all courses with a course code that includes the letters B, D, E, K, M, S, T, U
Reply 3
Thanks to both of you.

Juno: quoting that passage I obviously missed inspired me to do an additional research on their site and eventually came up with a PDF regulation [1] which details the difference in the awards.

Examining the compulsory courses a bit closer, it became clear that all but one are suitable for BA and BSc. That exception is M255 which for some reason beyond my comprehension qualifies only for BSc, but not for BA.

M255 is a level 2 course worth 30 pts. Since I later plan on doing M336 (Level 3 worth 30 pts) and that one qualifies for BSc only as well, I should be awarded a BSc eventually (I reckon, if my understanding of the cited paper is correct). All other courses are labeled as equally suitable for a BA or a BSc Comp & Math Sci.

Thanks again, people :smile:

As for the other question: No forum member is doing courses with that goal in mind?

[1] http://www3.open.ac.uk/courses/regs/B14.pdf, Section: BD-CMS 3.2
Reply 4
Donar
T
As for the other question: No forum member is doing courses with that goal in mind?

I've started a degree in Mathematics with the OU, so some of the modules I do might be similar to yours...

Latest