The Student Room Group
University of York
York

Chance of acceptance for Univeristy of York

Hi I am predicted A* in Sociology and 2 Bs in Business and Economics, for University of York the entry requirements are AAB. It is my dream university but I am unsure of my chances of getting accepted in a competitive university? Do they base it all on grades or do they look highly on personal statements and references as well. Any help would be much appreciated thanks
Original post by Anonymous
Hi I am predicted A* in Sociology and 2 Bs in Business and Economics, for University of York the entry requirements are AAB. It is my dream university but I am unsure of my chances of getting accepted in a competitive university? Do they base it all on grades or do they look highly on personal statements and references as well. Any help would be much appreciated thanks

You haven't mentioned what course you'd be applying for at York. Some are more competitive than others.
University of York
York
Reply 2
Original post by DataVenia
You haven't mentioned what course you'd be applying for at York. Some are more competitive than others.

Hi! Thanks for your reply, I am interested in studying a Business Management undergraduate course either a bsc or a ba, bit unsure at the moment which one.
Hi! Thanks for your reply, I am interested in studying a Business Management undergraduate course either a bsc or a ba, bit unsure at the moment which one.

I think you've got a reasonable chance. If you look at the data on the UniGuide, you can see the "Most popular A-Levels studied (and grade achieved)" for current students.

For University of York's BSc (Hons) Business and Management (here) and BA (Hons) Business and Management (here) those are Business Studies A | Mathematics B | Economics B.

If existing students have ABB then is seems plausible that they'd make an A*BB candidate an offer (even if that offer is AAB).

You just need to ensure that you have other choices where your predicted grades meet (or preferably exceed) their requirements.
Reply 4
Great thank you so much! Also do you know which one is more competitive for Business out of the BSc or the BA, thanks

Hi!

It's great to hear that you are interested in York! The Department will look at your application holistically and take into account all of the additional information. If you have any specific queries for the admissions tutor I can get in touch with them for you!

Hazel :smile:
Great thank you so much! Also do you know which one is more competitive for Business out of the BSc or the BA, thanks

I don't, no. However, I was at an open day recently (not York) and in the subject talk (not Business and Management) one of the parents asked what the difference was between the BA and BSc for that particular subject. The surprisingly answer was that there was no difference. For historical reasons, you could effectively choose whether you wanted a BA or a BSc. All applicants were treated as a single cohort.

I don't know if this is the same for Business and Management at York. I only mention it because it seems odd that they offer both the BA and BSc, and it might work in the way I've described above.

@University of York, is that something you're able to check with the admissions team?

The university and each department consider all applications carefully, I'd contact the undergraduate admissions department if you have queries, they'll give you an accurate answer. https://www.york.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/applying/

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending