The Student Room Group

What Can I Do With These Grades?

Hi, I'm a 17 year old Canadian student currently taking my IGCSEs in Egypt. I'm currently in my second session, and I just got my June session results a couple of days ago. They are:

CIE English as a Second Language: A*
CIE Biology: A*
CIE Chemistry: A*
Edexcel Mathematics: A*

I'm taking Physics - my favorite subject - this session, and I'm hoping for an A* in it too. To explain, though, Egypt doesn't "do" (I)GCSEs in the same way the UK does. Over here, most universities require 8 O levels (and sometimes 1 A Level) in order to enter. So students here take their O and A levels from year 10 to 12, then head off to university. Those who can cram more subjects within a shorter period of time finish earlier, but can't apply to uni until they "finish" 5 sessions. e.g.: I could cram 8 O levels into one June session, then take an AS in November session, and the A2 the June session after that and be done. That leaves you about a year to a year and a half of free time.

Anyhow, I digress. I don't plan to go to university in Egypt as I intend to work abroad, and university degrees from Egypt aren't really accredited internationally. The thing is, though - IGCSE in Egypt is expensive. We're paying $1000 USD per O level, and an A level costs $2000 USD - that's without the registration fees, too.
So, to put it bluntly, A levels are too expensive for me to take. What can I do with 5 O levels internationally? Thanks to a friend in Thailand, I know their universities require an applicant to only have 5 O levels. Does anyone here know if I have any other options?

P.S: My apologies if I posted in the incorrect sub-forum, but I'm intending to go into Physics in university.
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending