The Student Room Group

Retaking A-levels during gap year.

How can I get into a good university, if I am retaking my A-levels in summer 2023? If I reapply through my old school, I will have to use my old grades, with which it is highly unlikely that I will get into a good uni. So what is the point of retakes? Will I have to go through clearing? And how possible would it be for a Law course?
Reply 1
Original post by yaro4eva
How can I get into a good university, if I am retaking my A-levels in summer 2023? If I reapply through my old school, I will have to use my old grades, with which it is highly unlikely that I will get into a good uni. So what is the point of retakes? Will I have to go through clearing? And how possible would it be for a Law course?

hey do you mean the summer 2024 ? im resitting my alevels and i applying for my predicted grades through an exam centre because my old school wouldn't do it for me. Retaking gives you another chance of heightening your grades to secure yourself in a high rated university. in regards to law, some unis dont accept resists - so make sure you check . hope this was useful and let me know of any other questions.
Reply 2
Original post by spygirl123
hey do you mean the summer 2024 ? im resitting my alevels and i applying for my predicted grades through an exam centre because my old school wouldn't do it for me. Retaking gives you another chance of heightening your grades to secure yourself in a high rated university. in regards to law, some unis dont accept resists - so make sure you check . hope this was useful and let me know of any other questions.

Omg yes, sorry I meant summer 2024, how do you apply for predicted grades through an exam centre? I assume you are a private candidate and you need predicted grades for UCAS. I also heard that you can get predicted grades from a tutor, let me know, thanks xxx
Reply 3
Omg yes, sorry I meant summer 2024, how do you apply for predicted grades through an exam centre? I assume you are a private candidate and you need predicted grades for UCAS. I also heard that you can get predicted grades from a tutor, let me know, thanks xxx

okay most exam centres also have UCAS so you will probably have to sit mocks for them so they can give you a prediction ( thats what im doing ) . Yes you can get predicted grades from tutors if they have a regsistered UCAS account to send off your application. Another option is if you have tutors, you can ask your old school for the grades you want and have your tutors back you up saying you can attain those grades. Another option is if you know a really nice teacher from your old school and they have access to UCAS I think they are allowed to submit all your grades for you . alsoo there is a resitting groupchat from people all over the uk on insta + whatsapp if you have other questions everyone is so nice and may help with any other questions you have :smile:
Reply 4
Thank you so so much! You saved my life x
Also, do you mind telling me the resitting groupchat ? That is so nice!!! 🙂

For LLB Law, I know QMUL, SOAS, City, RHUL, Birbeck and Goldsmiths all part of University of London had places in Clearing last year and most likely will do again in 2024 too. 🙂
(edited 4 months ago)
Reply 6
Thank you so so much! You saved my life x
Also, do you mind telling me the resitting groupchat ? That is so nice!!! 🙂

no worries !!! Whats your insta ? ill add ya :smile:
Reply 7
Original post by thegeek888
For LLB Law, I know QMUL, SOAS, City, RHUL, Birbeck and Goldsmiths all part of University of London had places in Clearing last year and most likely will do again in 2024 too. 🙂

Wow, I didn’t know that it was even common for universities to have clearing places for law, as it so competitive. Thank you so so much! ☺️
Wow, I didn’t know that it was even common for universities to have clearing places for law, as it so competitive. Thank you so so much! ☺️

They ask for A star A A to A B B grades, maybe if you get lucky B B B or B B C grades.

Quick Reply

Latest