The Student Room Group

About UCAS Prediction grade in year 12 mocks

Good evening everyone, please I need help with this question you know in your year 12 mocks you did well in two subjects but badly in one for example you got AAD as a prediction or AAC what happens to you because my college say they were going to use our prediction grades for UCAS has anyone been in this situation before please any advice. I struggle with English literature since the start of the year it was the only subject I didn't improve my grades in but I never give up and was trying hard to move from a D and I even ask for academic mentors at the start of the year and did practices essay on the assessment we got back despite not getting good grade in them. PLEASE I NEED SOME ADVICE.
Original post by TEEN_LIFE24/7
Good evening everyone, please I need help with this question you know in your year 12 mocks you did well in two subjects but badly in one for example you got AAD as a prediction or AAC what happens to you because my college say they were going to use our prediction grades for UCAS has anyone been in this situation before please any advice. I struggle with English literature since the start of the year it was the only subject I didn't improve my grades in but I never give up and was trying hard to move from a D and I even ask for academic mentors at the start of the year and did practices essay on the assessment we got back despite not getting good grade in them. PLEASE I NEED SOME ADVICE.

It's not clear what you mean by "what happens to you". Nothing happens to you. It's not like the grade-police turn up and march you out of school or anything. You just get a set of predicted grades which were lower (in one subject) than you'd hoped, and you apply to universities on that basis. What sort of course were you thinking of applying for? Do you have an universities in mind yet?
Reply 2

a similar thing happened to me with one of my subjects. it's not a guaranteed thing but you could talk to your tutor/subject teacher about giving a higher grade. but it depends, was this a one time mess up and you usually preform better in the subject than what was reflected in the test score? if its just that you haven't been preforming to the grade you need through the year there isn't much you can do really. in my case, I had a talk with my tutor about the universities I intended to apply to and showed that it would be possible for me to get a higher grade (through my previous work)
Reply 3
Original post by DataVenia
It's not clear what you mean by "what happens to you". Nothing happens to you. It's not like the grade-police turn up and march you out of school or anything. You just get a set of predicted grades which were lower (in one subject) than you'd hoped, and you apply to universities on that basis. What sort of course were you thinking of applying for? Do you have an universities in mind yet?

Thank you for replying I realise it sounds wrong "what happens to you" part I meant can you still go to university, what can you do in terms of UCAS application can you still apply to university? I was planning on applying to Manchester university I am doing a law program with them. I wanted to do a law degree at university.
Reply 4
Original post by Spelunker
a similar thing happened to me with one of my subjects. it's not a guaranteed thing but you could talk to your tutor/subject teacher about giving a higher grade. but it depends, was this a one time mess up and you usually preform better in the subject than what was reflected in the test score? if its just that you haven't been preforming to the grade you need through the year there isn't much you can do really. in my case, I had a talk with my tutor about the universities I intended to apply to and showed that it would be possible for me to get a higher grade (through my previous work)

Thanks for replying I am doing a feedback essay on it and I will send it to her to have a look I have send her a previous essay at the start of the year s year she said it where much better than the assessment ones I did in class I think that will help when predicted my grades and I am going to have a talk with her about it.
Thank you for replying I realise it sounds wrong "what happens to you" part I meant can you still go to university, what can you do in terms of UCAS application can you still apply to university? I was planning on applying to Manchester university I am doing a law program with them. I wanted to do a law degree at university.

Well, as I'm sure you're aware, The University of Manchester typically ask for A*AA for their LLB Law degree (although many of their law students will only actually have achieved AAA). So they might not be willing to make an offer to a candidate who's predicted to achieve AAD or AAC. To increase your chances of them making you an offer, your best bet is to try to convince you're school that your English Literature grade will improve. To be fair though, you've said that it's a subject that you "struggle with", so getting an A in it (which is what you'd need) might not be realistic. That being the case, your school probably shouldn't predict it'll be an A (unless they can see some evidence that an A is plausible).

There are many other universities which offer law degrees which aren't as demanding, grade-wise, as Manchester. Maybe it's worth you doing some research into other options, beyond that particular university?

Quick Reply

Latest