The Student Room Group

How risky is it to open a second student bank account and HSBC credit card question

I already opened a HSBC student account and I am struggling with money. I haven't touched the credit card that comes with it and it has £500, what would happen if I use some money from the credit card? When would I get charged, I still don't understand how they work. When can I pay the money back?

Or is it wise to open a student bank account with Natwest? I read in their website and it doesn't say anything about them having an issue if I have a student account elsewhere. But what shall I say if they ask me if I have a student bank elsewhere, do they check? How strict are there?

I'm really desperate for money, I won't get paid till mid September. And most of my student loan is going towards my rent.
Original post by m93100
I already opened a HSBC student account and I am struggling with money. I haven't touched the credit card that comes with it and it has £500, what would happen if I use some money from the credit card? When would I get charged, I still don't understand how they work. When can I pay the money back?

Or is it wise to open a student bank account with Natwest? I read in their website and it doesn't say anything about them having an issue if I have a student account elsewhere. But what shall I say if they ask me if I have a student bank elsewhere, do they check? How strict are there?

I'm really desperate for money, I won't get paid till mid September. And most of my student loan is going towards my rent.

You cant have two student overdrafts at once, it would come up on your credit record if they checked. I had to give it a couple of days to switch from natwest to lloyds with my student accounts before i got an overdraft.

From what I can tell you get 2 calendar months on that credit card before you would have to pay back the interest so you could use it in the mean time before you can sort something else out.
From the sound of it your best option would be to use the credit card and then when term starts go speak to your unis student support and see if theres any loans or anything that the uni themselves can offer to cover the shortfall till your loans in.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending