The Student Room Group
Studying in halls, University of Cambridge
University of Cambridge
Cambridge

Cambridge 2016 Postgraduate Entry

Scroll to see replies

Original post by gutenberg
From my anecdotal experience with the Gates, I believe having an academic write your personal reference would make the application weaker. The Gates prizes 'leadership', so if you're only able to provide an academic referee they see it as you not being very involved with things outside your academic world (of course this can be & often is a totally false assumption on their part, but they get so many applicants they have to discriminate somehow). If possible I would try & get a non-academic to write the personal reference.

I'd agree with this. I'm at Cam on a gates scholarship, and I didn't get an academic (or even anyone at my university) to write my personal statement. You should have outside interests, and therefore be able to find someone suitable outside of uni to write it.
Studying in halls, University of Cambridge
University of Cambridge
Cambridge
Original post by Serentonin
I'd agree with this. I'm at Cam on a gates scholarship, and I didn't get an academic (or even anyone at my university) to write my personal statement. You should have outside interests, and therefore be able to find someone suitable outside of uni to write it.

Ah, I didn't realise you weren't British, from reading you PhD blog and about your time at Exeter :smile: The above is definitely good advice!
No offers, on degree committee stage, have you submitted your application?
Reply 83
Original post by soccerstar04all

I am on degree committee stage too! Have to submit a short essay - going to try and get it finished today!

Original post by 05autyt
I am on degree committee stage too! Have to submit a short essay - going to try and get it finished today!

What does the degree committee stage mean as opposed to 'under consideration by department'?
Original post by tsukurutazaki
What does the degree committee stage mean as opposed to 'under consideration by department'?

Officially, degree committee is the step after department.

http://www.graduate.study.cam.ac.uk/sites/www.2016.graduate.study.cam.ac.uk/files/process_chart1.pdf

But not all departments follow this structure - some have degree committee OR department, and some have both but don't notify the changes so that you skip straight to degree committee and aren't aware that you've passed through department stage.

Both of them mean that someone, somewhere is still considering your application, and that's the important thing. So don't worry too much about the terminology.
Reply 86
4 Guys who got an offer or passed the Dpt Consideration, when you started and finished the online application? Interview?
Reply 87
So anyone who is going or already went to Cambridge, what would you say are the best college choices for ISMM? Or at least what are the general guidelines? Should I check respective threads here, should I talk to alumni? Is it different for undergrads and us?
Original post by 05autyt

Were you asked to submit an essay or is it part of your application?

What courses have you applied for?

I think if my app is good enough I'll get a call from a potential supervisor. Applied for AMES their next degree committee meeting is on 27th I believe 😒. A long way away.
Original post by MOORST
4 Guys who got an offer or passed the Dpt Consideration, when you started and finished the online application? Interview?

I submitted my application on 4th sept and went from department to degree committee on the 16th, two days after my second reference submitted.

I don't know what it means for th AMES department. Hopefully it's positive
Reply 90
I submitted my application on 4th sept and went from department to degree committee on the 16th, two days after my second reference submitted.

Thanks
Reply 91

Where did you find the 2015 meeting dates? Just curious :smile:
Reply 94
Were you asked to submit an essay or is it part of your application?

What courses have you applied for?

I think if my app is good enough I'll get a call from a potential supervisor. Applied for AMES their next degree committee meeting is on 27th I believe 😒. A long way away.

For those asking I went from under consideration (department) to under consideration from degree committee the day after my second reference was sent in.

Then after this I was emailed by the department asking me to submit an essay and if I also wanted to apply for BPS accreditation .
I have applied for the MPhil in Education and Psychology.
Oh :frown: my departments next meeting isn't until the 7th December!
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by WokSz
Fantastic! Thank you :smile:

No problem!
Reply 96
I have just pressed the submit button- exciting times!

Now to wait for my number so I can submit my essay and transcripts...

Out of interest, what are people doing about applying for other institutions?

Cambridge is by far my first choice but I don't want to miss out on other places by waiting to hear back from them first. It said on the Graduate Admissions page that 80% of decisions are made in February/March. I can't decide whether to wait until then and risk all my eggs in one basket.

Just thought I'd take a straw poll of what everyone is thinking
Original post by bunyun
I have just pressed the submit button- exciting times!

Now to wait for my number so I can submit my essay and transcripts...

Out of interest, what are people doing about applying for other institutions?

Cambridge is by far my first choice but I don't want to miss out on other places by waiting to hear back from them first. It said on the Graduate Admissions page that 80% of decisions are made in February/March. I can't decide whether to wait until then and risk all my eggs in one basket.

Just thought I'd take a straw poll of what everyone is thinking

I have the same dilemma! That's why I submitted my application early, on the off chance I may get a response soon. However, thinking about it because I don't know when Cambridge will reply or whether it will be a positive reply or not, I think I'll apply to other institutions. It's annoying because It's £50 per application and after 6 applications it's heavy on the pocket.
I have the same dilemma! That's why I submitted my application early, on the off chance I may get a response soon. However, thinking about it because I don't know when Cambridge will reply or whether it will be a positive reply or not, I think I'll apply to other institutions. It's annoying because It's £50 per application and after 6 applications it's heavy on the pocket.

Is it £50 for all the universities you're interested in? I had the same dilemma as you a couple of years ago and applied early to Cambridge - fortunately they got back to me relatively quickly, so I didn't have to apply elsewhere. None of the other unis had an application fee though
Yup! The universities i'm interested in are about £50, some going up to around £180 (Switzerland). Are you currently studying at Cambridge?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending