The Student Room Group

Restricted Childhood?

wtf.png

A friend of mine recently showed me a routine her parents made her when she was younger, along with punishments if she didn't succeed. I was somewhat shocked [[an understatement]] to read that they REMOVED HER DOOR for getting a C, she had to, and I quote, "get changed in the closet" to get any privacy.

Has anyone else had any terrible parenting? I thought only being allowed one hour on the computer on Wednesdays, Fridays, and the weekends was strict but this goes a whole other level D:

[[PS I blanked out her name near the bottom]]

Scroll to see replies

WOW thats pretty sad. I had a childhood where i could do what i wanted as long as i didnt break any major rules such as sleeping in past 10 am. I could eat whenever i wanted, shower whenever i wanted and did anything which made me happy thankfully.
Reply 2
They **** you up, your mum and dad.
They may not mean to, but they do.
They fill you with the faults they had
And add some extra, just for you.

But they were ****ed up in their turn
By fools in old-style hats and coats,
Who half the time were soppy-stern
And half at one another's throats.

Man hands on misery to man.
It deepens like a coastal shelf.
Get out as early as you can,
And don't have any kids yourself.

Philip Larkin, right again.

Awful parenting lyfe. Don't want to make the thread all about me by writing an autobiography but yes, I had a pretty terrible parenting situation as well. Though in a slightly different way to the Gestapo-style parenting your friend received.
Nothing quite that drastic in terms of scheduling, but we used to have an itinerary for Christmas Day posted on the kitchen door a week beforehand outlining every moment from waking up to going to bed...
Im gona be honest my parents were quite tuff as well
well my dad was away at work and my mum was pretty strict
my first friend was a girl and dam I used to get shouted at for that
A lot of what they implemented is a good idea like having a clean room before "electronics" (:wtf:), but I would personally die if I had to stick to something like that. My childhood was so unrestricted, it screwed me up in the sense that because I had no routine back then, I don't know how to get myself into a routine now. I made my own rules going to bed when I wanted to, doing homework at 3am, watching tv/playing games 24/7. I was always so jealous of my friend whose parents made her go to bed at 9 and encouraged some kind of a routine to keep her on track. My parents worked from 1pm to 2am so I never had anyone telling me what to do and forcing me to bed at human hours. :emo: I suppose you could say I had terrible parenting because I had to learn to be my own parent from 13.
(edited 8 years ago)
Are these parents Indian by any chance ??
Reply 7
Original post by Error404OLE
Are these parents Indian by any chance ??

Within the American bible belt actually, Missouri.
I just hate parents who are that restrictive and controlling. It's bad parenting and it's not fair or healthy for the kid.

I mean losing your door for not doing well on an exam? Poor exam performance is not something you should punish as you would with misbehaving. Only watch TV during these times? Only listen to music at this time?
Original post by Ruthless Dutchman
Within the American bible belt actually, Missouri.

Oh ok, its normally the Asians that have these strict routines in place.. I wouldn't say its restricted. I grew up in Eastern Europe ( Ukraine ) where my parents forced me to read, do school work or work with them everyday. I had no privacy at all and if I got below 63% on any test in school my parents used to give me the belt.Even though we had a tv, computer, access to internet I was not allowed to use any of it as my parents used to think that technology ruins a child's( my) social skills. As for going out I was only allowed
out on Saturdays and Sundays for one hours . That's what my childhood was like up until 14 when I moved with my mother to the UK. IMO you're friend has it pretty easy.
Reply 10

Has anyone else had any terrible parenting?

That's terrible parenting?
Reply 11
Original post by RFowler
I just hate parents who are that restrictive and controlling. It's bad parenting and it's not fair or healthy for the kid.

I mean losing your door for not doing well on an exam? Poor exam performance is not something you should punish as you would with misbehaving. Only watch TV during these times? Only listen to music at this time?

Perhaps it's my old age, but it doesnt seem *that* bad. I mean that's potentially over 2 hours of TV a day. I don't watch that much now! And how old is the child?

Plus 0 on an assignment? How do you get a 0? I thought they gave you marks just for writing your name correctly at the top.
edit
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 13
Original post by Error404OLE
Oh ok, its normally the Asians that have these strict routines in place.. I wouldn't say its restricted. I grew up in Eastern Europe ( Ukraine ) where my parents forced me to read, do school work or work with them everyday. I had no privacy at all and if I got below 63% on any test in school my parents used to give me the belt.Even though we had a tv, computer, access to internet I was not allowed to use any of it as my parents used to think that technology ruins a child's( my) social skills. As for going out I was only allowed
out on Saturdays and Sundays for one hours . That's what my childhood was like up until 14 when I moved with my mother to the UK. IMO you're friend has it pretty easy.

I suppose comparatively yours also sounds pretty unpleasant, Although a C in the US is 75-79%, so anything below 80% is an immediate removal of the door. I don't think either of you had a pleasant time :/

Original post by Reue
That's terrible parenting?

Would you remove a child's door for low grades? I suppose it could have been worse but it certainly isn't great
Reply 14

Would you remove a child's door for low grades? I suppose it could have been worse but it certainly isn't great

My parents used to do the opposite and barricaded me into my room. This was of course before the days of children having TV in their bedrooms and any personal electronics so it was pretty barren in there :wink:
Ugh. What restrictive timings! :gah:

I have a feeling that this can be beneficial on one level, but extremely detrimental on another too. The child might rebel one day - I don't know. :teehee:

Anyway, if it's academic performance that those parents are concerned about, it's still possible to do really well without having such an extremely detailed schedule. Meh.
I suppose comparatively yours also sounds pretty unpleasant, Although a C in the US is 75-79%, so anything below 80% is an immediate removal of the door. I don't think either of you had a pleasant time :/

I suppose not no.
Pretty restrictive parenting.
I felt like we were the opposite not enough rules, too much chaos, no bedtime no homework time, no quiet time, general noise. It ****ed me over tbh. But at the same time my dad would force you to listen to his lectures which were pretty stressful and ended in tears. Woe is me.
Original post by Reue
My parents used to do the opposite and barricaded me into my room. This was of course before the days of children having TV in their bedrooms and any personal electronics so it was pretty barren in there :wink:

It's over now.

:console:

Quick Reply

Latest