The Student Room Group

Doing A level Physics as an external student

Basically I really want to do physics A level. Has anyone had been an external student for a difficult a level such as physics. If so all advice will be great help.
Original post by GeorgeMath
Basically I really want to do physics A level. Has anyone had been an external student for a difficult a level such as physics. If so all advice will be great help.

I really have no experience of taking A level exams as a private candidate. Do you want to do physics related course at university?
Actually, I've been looking into the same thing, because I'm currently finishing up my pre-college courses and was planning to apply to schools in the UK. But according to the local british council office, subjects that require course work, laboratory work, and continious assessments are not available for independant applicants, I don't know exactly what the A level physics ciriculum looks like but I'd bet there's some course?lab work in there
A levels does look great on an application, but it's not for everyone I'm afraid. SATI and SATII are reasonable substitutes though, and easy enough to get. Even top unis like oxford accept them.
Do check in with the british council at your country if you can work something out.
best of luck :-)

Original post by guywithweirdame
Actually, I've been looking into the same thing, because I'm currently finishing up my pre-college courses and was planning to apply to schools in the UK. But according to the local british council office, subjects that require course work, laboratory work, and continious assessments are not available for independant applicants, I don't know exactly what the A level physics ciriculum looks like but I'd bet there's some course?lab work in there
A levels does look great on an application, but it's not for everyone I'm afraid. SATI and SATII are reasonable substitutes though, and easy enough to get. Even top unis like oxford accept them.
Do check in with the british council at your country if you can work something out.
best of luck :-)

A level Physics is something that you can study yourself at home, but it is easier with a dedicated course tutor.

Our LearnOnline A level Physics course has been designed with the "home learner" in mind, you do not need to attend classroom sessions to pass your A level Physics, many of our students achieve top grades and go on to University.

Science A levels are changing from September 2015 and this has an impact on the practical element of the course. You are now able to achieve an A level with just 100% theory and written examinations, on top of this is now a Practical Endorsement which assesses your practical skills. If you wish to add the Practical Endorsement onto your A level qualification you need to gain laboratory experience, and be assessed in a lab to a certain standard to obtain a pass. Here are LearnOnline we offer intensive Practical Laboratory sessions specifically for this reason, you would need to visit our state of the art labs, but you can complete everything needed for the new practical endorsement in 4 days.

If you would like some more information, or want some help in choosing which is the right study method for you, just ask.

Matthew
Hi George - I am 55 years old and live in London, and on this coming Tuesday, 1st September, I will start studying at home as an external student for AQA Physics A level - the new 2015 syllabus. My books arrived two days ago. I will take the exams at Campbell Harris in London.

Roughly five years ago I finished my A-level Edexcel Maths by the same route. I got a B.

The only issue I had was fitting it all in around my working life. I found the Student Room forum a great help when I was stuck with a problem. Overall I enjoyed the whole process a lot.

I would say go for it. It's a fascinating topic, after all.
Original post by Snagglepuss
Hi George - I am 55 years old and live in London, and on this coming Tuesday, 1st September, I will start studying at home as an external student for AQA Physics A level - the new 2015 syllabus. My books arrived two days ago. I will take the exams at Campbell Harris in London.

Roughly five years ago I finished my A-level Edexcel Maths by the same route. I got a B.

The only issue I had was fitting it all in around my working life. I found the Student Room forum a great help when I was stuck with a problem. Overall I enjoyed the whole process a lot.

I would say go for it. It's a fascinating topic, after all.

Well, actually I've pretty much covered all the topics included in the A level physics course during my high school studies and I think I'm all caught up with anything I may have missed, so I didnlt want t have to sign up for an online course and pay for the books and tuition and stuff, since I don't need them at all and don't have that kind of money to waste, so I was hoping to sit for just the exam without a prerequisite, kind of like the SATs
Original post by guywithweirdame
Well, actually I've pretty much covered all the topics included in the A level physics course during my high school studies and I think I'm all caught up with anything I may have missed, so I didnlt want t have to sign up for an online course and pay for the books and tuition and stuff, since I don't need them at all and don't have that kind of money to waste, so I was hoping to sit for just the exam without a prerequisite, kind of like the SATs

You are able to sit the exams as an external candidate at a local college/school. If you are completing the currently syllabus you will need to complete 2 practical units, if you are planning to take the new syllabus then you will need to complete a workshop if you require the Practical Endorsement.

If you would like some help with the practical element of the course, just ask

Matthew
Original post by LearnOnline
You are able to sit the exams as an external candidate at a local college/school. If you are completing the currently syllabus you will need to complete 2 practical units, if you are planning to take the new syllabus then you will need to complete a workshop if you require the Practical Endorsement.

If you would like some help with the practical element of the course, just ask

Matthew

Hi, I am doing A level Physics and I'm doing 2 units from the new syllabus. The centre I'm sitting my exams at haven't discussed any practicals with me. I assumed it wasn't necessary because I'm only doing AS

Hi, My name is Jo and I work at the National Extension College. We are a distance learning college with over 50 years of experience at helping independent learners taking GCSE and A levels as private candidates. You can take A level Physics as a distance learner, we offer a course that is studied online from home. We assign a tutor who marks your work and provides feedback throughout the course. Some core practicals can be studied from home with the help of video resources. If you do need to do the Practical Endorsement for your University course then we are able to offer this at an additional cost at one of our partner centres (these are the 12 teacher assessed practicals) If you'd like further information you can find details on our website www.nec.ac.uk

Quick Reply

Latest