Original post by qasim-98
What's addition formulae ?

Posted from TSR Mobile

stuff like Cos(A-B)=?
Reply 62
What's addition formulae ?

Posted from TSR Mobile

How did you find the topic Recurrence Relations? Is it hard? Because apparently that was one of the controversial questions from last year...

Also the same thing for the functions and graphs topic? How did that go?

In my opinion, straight lines and polynomials are pretty straight forward but you always get the odd SQA question just to screw you over :smile:
Reply 63
Original post by Jeff548
How did you find the topic Recurrence Relations? Is it hard? Because apparently that was one of the controversial questions from last year...

Also the same thing for the functions and graphs topic? How did that go?

In my opinion, straight lines and polynomials are pretty straight forward but you always get the odd SQA question just to screw you over :smile:

The recurrence relation question last year wasn't even that hard, I took a few minutes reading it too find clues but I honestly didn't find it hard. I think you got 6 marks for it, just for finding 2 limits, but the other questions were quite difficult.

Yeah, the exam seemed to be more literacy based as well, I don't get why though, it's maths not english. Besides I'm positive this years paper will be fair, I'm actually looking forward to it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 64
Anyone got their prelims this month for maths ? My schools getting S5 to do theirs in November, wonder if schools were the same

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 65
Anyone got their prelims this month for maths ? My schools getting S5 to do theirs in November, wonder if schools were the same

Posted from TSR Mobile

I have a unit assessment coming up soon , but all our prelims will be mid-January :biggrin:
Reply 66
Original post by bb208
I have a unit assessment coming up soon , but all our prelims will be mid-January :biggrin:

We did logs today and I think this is the part where higher starts messing up your head..

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 67
We did logs today and I think this is the part where higher starts messing up your head..

Posted from TSR Mobile

Haha same here :biggrin: but our teacher only introduced it today and basically we only done the changing the subject of the formula part, which was okay so far but as we are in higher maths then i am expecting it to become 10x harder :biggrin: what would you say is your weakest topic?
Reply 68
I know how to show that x+2a is a factor but how would I could about showing that the other factors are, having trouble because of the a part image.jpg
Reply 69
Original post by Jism1495
I know how to show that x+2a is a factor but how would I could about showing that the other factors are, having trouble because of the a part image.jpg

Basically factorise it using synthetic division, so you know (x + 2a) = 0 which gives you -2a as a factor. After you get the factor proven (remainder =0) , factorise the quotient which will give rise to your other factors. So you hve (x + 2a) as one factor, the other will be derived from your quotient.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 70
Basically factorise it using synthetic division, so you know (x + 2a) = 0 which gives you -2a as a factor. After you get the factor proven (remainder =0) , factorise the quotient which will give rise to your other factors. So you hve (x + 2a) as one factor, the other will be derived from your quotient.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I don't know how to synthetic divide it due to the a's in the equation, like do I have to get rid of them first or
Reply 71
Original post by Jism1495
I don't know how to synthetic divide it due to the a's in the equation, like do I have to get rid of them first or

I'm going to do it for you, il post it up soon.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 72
No idea how to do this question. I know unit vectors have a magnitude of 1 but I couldn't get the same answer, HELP! Btw the mark scheme says it is B (1).

4e35421eeab8b484533f84885486f5ef.png

Really appreciate it if you could show some working or walk me through it????
Original post by JP298
If anyone needs any help in the Higher Maths course, just quote me. More than happy to help! :biggrin:

(Doing Advanced Higher this year)

Any good at trig and up for possibly helping me :s-smilie:
Reply 74
Original post by alana_p
Any good at trig and up for possibly helping me :s-smilie:

Sure, no problem. What do you need help with?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by JP298
Sure, no problem. What do you need help with?

Posted from TSR Mobile

"What is the value of cos 5pi/3 - tan 7pi/4"

I think i could use the CAST diagram(?) but I'm not really sure how that works, and I've tried other methods but i know I'm doing it wrong because I've got the answer. If you could explain to me how to do it that would be great. According to the marking scheme, the answer is 3/2.
Reply 76
Original post by alana_p
"What is the value of cos 5pi/3 - tan 7pi/4"

I think i could use the CAST diagram(?) but I'm not really sure how that works, and I've tried other methods but i know I'm doing it wrong because I've got the answer. If you could explain to me how to do it that would be great. According to the marking scheme, the answer is 3/2.

Hey, ok you were right thinking to use the cast diagram. So that's great! To help you understand it you need to know how each trigonometric function looks like on a graph, so sine, cos and tan is what you need to know for higher. Here's a link of an explanation of how the diagram works: http://youtu.be/tFBQ2YMdfhU

http://youtu.be/zGCnBgyM9kQ

Then take a look at some examples in the next video, there's no need to watch the whole video if you don't want to. I personally do not write in the triangles that he does but simply visualise each graph and remember when it is at a positive and negative value. I've drawn an example on my solutions with the cos graph. Just quote me if you still don't understand anything!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by JP298
Hey, ok you were right thinking to use the cast diagram. So that's great! To help you understand it you need to know how each trigonometric function looks like on a graph, so sine, cos and tan is what you need to know for higher. Here's a link of an explanation of how the diagram works: http://youtu.be/tFBQ2YMdfhU

http://youtu.be/zGCnBgyM9kQ

Then take a look at some examples in the next video, there's no need to watch the whole video if you don't want to. I personally do not write in the triangles that he does but simply visualise each graph and remember when it is at a positive and negative value. I've drawn an example on my solutions with the cos graph. Just quote me if you still don't understand anything!

Posted from TSR Mobile

That's great! thank you :smile:
Reply 79
How's/what is everyone doing in the course ? :biggrin: how did your prelims go? (If you've had them)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending