The Student Room Group
Studying in halls, University of Cambridge
University of Cambridge
Cambridge

Churchill College (Cambridge) Students and Applicants

Scroll to see replies

Reply 580
Original post by jamib0y
ive got Dr Katherine Stott, Dr Mark Miller... then Dr Sally Boss and Dr Graeme Day...

anyone know them? =P

Mark Miller is awesome, and the others... no idea :P
Studying in halls, University of Cambridge
University of Cambridge
Cambridge
Reply 581
Original post by PaulB
I was under the impression that physical scientists all got one 40 minute interview. Do you have two 25 minute ones? Also what day is your interview?

lol, two 25 minute ones! ¬.¬

what about you?

mine's 9th december, Friday!
i seem to be the only one =P
Reply 582
@ kooper : Do you know Dr John Richer and Dr Caterina Ducati ? I am having an interview with them. You said you are a physicist, i also applied for physical natural sciences and said that my major interest is in physics. Have they asked you anything about chemistry or mathematics last year? Also chould you give us some information about how the procedure is ?(I mean is it just that you walk into the college, go to the room , have the interview and leave? or is there any paperwork etc. to be done?)
Reply 583
Original post by aelaras
@ kooper : Do you know Dr John Richer and Dr Caterina Ducati ? I am having an interview with them. You said you are a physicist, i also applied for physical natural sciences and said that my major interest is in physics. Have they asked you anything about chemistry or mathematics last year? Also chould you give us some information about how the procedure is ?(I mean is it just that you walk into the college, go to the room , have the interview and leave? or is there any paperwork etc. to be done?)

Never heard of Caterina Ducati (although I think I might have been taught by her for one lab), but I was interviewed by John Richer who was fairly nice (along with Lisa Jardine-Wright if anyone's got her!). Kind of a typical physicist.

If you've said your interest is Physics, they'll only interview you on Chemistry if they're concerned about your module marks (assuming you want to take the chemistry option as most Phys NatScis do - otherwise they won't care). Regarding the maths, they'll often combine it with physics questions - don't expect any definition questions, you'll simply be asked to consider a mathematical physics problem.

They also nearly always give you a curve sketching question (I don't know anyone who didn't get one). It's worth looking up/asking teachers about odd and even functions, and just practising curve sketching techniques for that one. The curve will usually be a combo of cos/sin, exponential and inverse functions, and it's also worth looking up series expansions for those first trig and exp functions.

The way things work practically (or at least worked for me) is that you sign in at some point before your interview, and wait for a bit. Then a current student will take you to the room and you'll sit outside until you get called in by the interviewers. The wait is the worst bit, but once you start talking, things get a lot better. There's no paperwork, and there should be signs/helpful people guiding you to the place to sign in.

Feel free to shoot any more questions my way if you've got more or want more answers! :wink:
Reply 584
Thanks for the answer :wink:. Are the questions in general designed in such a way to test how you think rather than what your knowledge is? In other words is it worth doing some further reading or is it just enought to revise the A-levels and hope for the best?(Because if they are only interested in they way you think, it whould not help that much learning something new since the chances of you being asked exactly that, are extremely low.My interview is on the 5th so i dont have so much time :smile: ). Also i was told that interview questions are really hard and interviewers dont expect you to find the answer on your own without help, is that true or are the questions more straight forward than people say? Finally, how many questions have they asked you/people you know (i assume you also had a 40 min. interview?)
Reply 585
Original post by aelaras
Thanks for the answer :wink:. Are the questions in general designed in such a way to test how you think rather than what your knowledge is? In other words is it worth doing some further reading or is it just enought to revise the A-levels and hope for the best?(Because if they are only interested in they way you think, it whould not help that much learning something new since the chances of you being asked exactly that, are extremely low.My interview is on the 5th so i dont have so much time :smile: ). Also i was told that interview questions are really hard and interviewers dont expect you to find the answer on your own without help, is that true or are the questions more straight forward than people say? Finally, how many questions have they asked you/people you know (i assume you also had a 40 min. interview?)

I have the same interviewers as you on the same day! What time is your interview?
Reply 586
Sorry i made a mistake, mine is on the 6th actually.
Reply 587
Original post by Kooper
Well done! Who've you got interviewing you? I'm at Churchill now - went through all this last year...

Wow... I really need your advice. My interview is on 8th. I am taking chemical engineering via engineering. I will face an EXAM at the afternoon and two subject interviews on the evening. The names of the professor are (hope you know them) Dr Chris Hicks and Andrew McHutchon; and Sebastian Mosbach and Jethro Akroyd.

Do you know what kind of questions I should expect for the exam and what are the interviewers interested in (if you know them)?

THANK YOU.
Reply 588
i have an interview for maths with Dr Paul Russell and Mr David Saxton. Anyone know them?
Reply 589
Original post by aelaras

They do primarily focus on how you think, but it is handy to have gone more in depth into some topics, as it helps clarify your thought processes for problems. What I mean is that it's perfectly possible to get into Cambridge having done purely the A Level syllabus, but you'll probably do better in an interview if you've done a bit of exploring beyond the syllabus - but don't make it a priority. Other than odd/even functions that is!

Interview questions are hard, and you will need prompting, but this is done naturally - you discuss through the question, almost like the three of you are working together on it. They are hard (and variable), but none of mine were impossible. One example I heard a lot of people had was estimating the number of pebbles on a beach by making assumptions - difficult, but once you start breaking it down, not impossible.

I did also have a 40 minute one, and got asked one simple introductory physics question, 1 main physics question, 1 curve sketching, and a couple of little physics ones at the end.

Original post by wibawahd
Wow... I really need your advice. My interview is on 8th. I am taking chemical engineering via engineering. I will face an EXAM at the afternoon and two subject interviews on the evening. The names of the professor are (hope you know them) Dr Chris Hicks and Andrew McHutchon; and Sebastian Mosbach and Jethro Akroyd.

Do you know what kind of questions I should expect for the exam and what are the interviewers interested in (if you know them)?

THANK YOU.

I can't help much as I don't know a lot about engineering, but I'd expect the interviews to be very similar to Physical NatSci, expect with a more practical focus. If I bump into any engineers soon, I'll ask them. Sorry :redface:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 590
Just got an email saying my data protection form had been processed, after sending it away about 3 weeks ago!

Anyone got any confirmation about accommodation for interviews yet?
Original post by PaulB
Just got an email saying my data protection form had been processed, after sending it away about 3 weeks ago!

Anyone got any confirmation about accommodation for interviews yet?

Yeah just got the same email about the DP form. Very useful to know it's been processed now that the deadline for submitting it has passed! :tongue:

Don't know anything about accommodation though, sorry.
Reply 592
same, i got one about my data protection form too.

Nope, no confirmation about accomodation for me :s-smilie:
Reply 593
I was thinking about sending an email regarding accommodation, but after hearing you guys haven't been told anything either, I might give it a few more days.
Reply 594
Original post by MrMathsGenius
Im considering applying to Churchill to study maths, yet there does not appear to be a churchill college thread in the Cambridge Colleges section. ANyone wish to share knowledge, opinions, reputation besmirching remarks welcome...

what particular reasons do you have to apply to churchill? The only reason I can make out is its proximity to the CMS?

It is a modern college, so if you dislike tradition and all the stereotypical cambridge bull**** i'd recommend it (or robinson, or like any 20th century colleges) but, although it is only 10 minutes outside the centre via bike (which is ridiculously close for most unis), that does make you slightly isolated tbh. You are less inclined to walk to the clubs in town, and so on, unlike most other colleges. Understand it would only be a 30 min walk, but that WILL put people off. Personally, I think the clubs in town are **** anyway, but you may disagree!

EDIT: I should say, I go to Jesus, not Churchill.
Original post by hai2410
what particular reasons do you have to apply to churchill? The only reason I can make out is its proximity to the CMS?

It is a modern college, so if you dislike tradition and all the stereotypical cambridge bull**** i'd recommend it (or robinson, or like any 20th century colleges) but, although it is only 10 minutes outside the centre via bike (which is ridiculously close for most unis), that does make you slightly isolated tbh. You are less inclined to walk to the clubs in town, and so on, unlike most other colleges. Understand it would only be a 30 min walk, but that WILL put people off. Personally, I think the clubs in town are **** anyway, but you may disagree!

Most people here have already applied to Churchill for 2012 entry and are pretty happy with their choice.

xthxbai.
Reply 596
Aw yes!
Reply 597
Original post by hai2410

Original post by hai2410

1) You're replying to a post that's 4 years old. He's either graduating or gone somewhere else.

2) As someone who's uniquely had experience of both Jesus and Churchill, both have their perks. Let people make their own decision - it really comes down to gut instinct, and everyone ends up liking their college anyway.
Reply 598
Original post by SarahM94
Aw yes!

Good news?
Reply 599
Original post by SunderX
1) You're replying to a post that's 4 years old. He's either graduating or gone somewhere else.

2) As someone who's uniquely had experience of both Jesus and Churchill, both have their perks. Let people make their own decision - it really comes down to gut instinct, and everyone ends up liking their college anyway.

oh, dear :colondollar:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending