The Student Room Group
Studying in halls, University of Cambridge
University of Cambridge
Cambridge

Churchill College (Cambridge) Students and Applicants

Scroll to see replies

Reply 780
Anyone had their interview yet and want to share their experience?
Studying in halls, University of Cambridge
University of Cambridge
Cambridge
Reply 781
Interview for Natsci tomorrow!
Original post by EAP
Anyone had their interview yet and want to share their experience?

I had my interview few days ago. I absolutely enjoyed my first interview, it flew nicely and they seemed really interested in what I was saying. I was incredibly nervous before the process but when they began to ask questions all of that just vanished. I was calmer before the next one which was more academic but I found this one quite hard. I hardly can tell what I do expect... straight after, I thought it was a disaster but actually there were moments when they seemed to think I said something clever as well as moments when their faces looked as if I said something really stupid. Generally though, atmosphere was friendly and interviewers were polite and nice.
(edited 11 years ago)
I'm pretty sure this isn't going to answered, but I'll ask it anyway... How much weight do they put on the compsci multiple choice test? I think I messed up the interview quite badly, but I think I did quite well in the test.
Hello? Are there any alive Churchill applicants here???
I did my interview on 6th. I am thinking about doing NatSci in Chur since it's got a great atmosphere of science and loads of Nat Scientists.
I saw at least 4 people on that day considering about focusing on Chem of NatSci, and it is consistent to the rapid increase in No. of NatSci applicants this year (228 in total, 177 in the previous year.. See on http://www.study.cam.ac.uk/undergraduate/apply/statistics/) I wasn't feeling quite nervous during the interview, but when I saw the application statistics afterwards, I was shocked due to the intense competition there. However, I am not worried about it because I think I did quite well during the interview, at least I answered all the questions correctly. The chemistry questions were not difficult for any A Level student in my opinion. Or perhaps I was lucky to get some easier version???? Any chemistry applicants here??
BTW, I thought Chur can be quite ugly (although I don't care what it looks like), but things turned out to be like, WOW, IT IS BRILLIANT!!! SO NICE!! NOTHING LIKE WHAT THEY TOLD ME, AT LEAST THE ARCHITECTURE IS EXACTLY MY TYPE. The hall was fantastic as well, and I met an East Asian Studies student in her year 4!! I even started using Chinese to talk to a westerner!! That's amazing!!
Original post by Jerry Zhou
Hello? Are there any alive Churchill applicants here???
I did my interview on 6th. I am thinking about doing NatSci in Chur since it's got a great atmosphere of science and loads of Nat Scientists.
I saw at least 4 people on that day considering about focusing on Chem of NatSci, and it is consistent to the rapid increase in No. of NatSci applicants this year (228 in total, 177 in the previous year.. See on http://www.study.cam.ac.uk/undergraduate/apply/statistics/) I wasn't feeling quite nervous during the interview, but when I saw the application statistics afterwards, I was shocked due to the intense competition there. However, I am not worried about it because I think I did quite well during the interview, at least I answered all the questions correctly. The chemistry questions were not difficult for any A Level student in my opinion. Or perhaps I was lucky to get some easier version???? Any chemistry applicants here??
BTW, I thought Chur can be quite ugly (although I don't care what it looks like), but things turned out to be like, WOW, IT IS BRILLIANT!!! SO NICE!! NOTHING LIKE WHAT THEY TOLD ME, AT LEAST THE ARCHITECTURE IS EXACTLY MY TYPE. The hall was fantastic as well, and I met an East Asian Studies student in her year 4!! I even started using Chinese to talk to a westerner!! That's amazing!!

lol thats a friend of mine :smile:
Original post by Dadeyemi
lol thats a friend of mine :smile:

Her name is Helen!
I never know that course (East Asian Studies) before. It's kinda proud that some one is studying our culture and history in such a formal way. Her Chinese is really good, and is among the best of western Chinese speakers I know.
Dr. Miller is really good!!!
Her name is Helen!
I never know that course (East Asian Studies) before. It's kinda proud that some one is studying our culture and history in such a formal way. Her Chinese is really good, and is among the best of western Chinese speakers I know.
Dr. Miller is really good!!!

Ahh were you interviewed b mark miller? Yes he is a nice guy, he organizes lots of thing relating to the choir and other musical fun.
Ahh were you interviewed b mark miller? Yes he is a nice guy, he organizes lots of thing relating to the choir and other musical fun.

The music director! I am actually thinking about joining the choir. But I mainly sing POP music, so choir can be a little challenging.

When I first saw him, I felt like Déjà vu, but I couldn't recall who he looks like. Last night when I was thinking about Sherlock Holmes, the TV series, I found him look like Professor Moriarty!! Andrew Scott is the actor.

He is indeed a nice interviewer!! Hopefully I can see him again in Churchill!! God bless me!! All I Want For Christmas Is You---------Offer from Churchill~

BTW, I heard that Churchill places a considerable weight on UMS scores. Is that just a rumour or a true story?
The music director! I am actually thinking about joining the choir. But I mainly sing POP music, so choir can be a little challenging.

When I first saw him, I felt like Déjà vu, but I couldn't recall who he looks like. Last night when I was thinking about Sherlock Holmes, the TV series, I found him look like Professor Moriarty!! Andrew Scott is the actor.

He is indeed a nice interviewer!! Hopefully I can see him again in Churchill!! God bless me!! All I Want For Christmas Is You---------Offer from Churchill~

BTW, I heard that Churchill places a considerable weight on UMS scores. Is that just a rumour or a true story?

They take note that there is a difference between someone consistently getting 90%+ and someone who has just been scraping A's but that's what all colleges do.
They take note that there is a difference between someone consistently getting 90%+ and someone who has just been scraping A's but that's what all colleges do.

:smile: Sounds fair to me. Getting 99 is different from getting 90.
Reply 791
anyone got any answers?
I got fished out by Churchill for Law for more interviews.. does anyone here know what type of Law Test they do here (Problem, Comprehension or Essay)?

Thanks
Reply 793
Original post by gedwest
Interview for Natsci tomorrow!

We must have had our interviews on the same day, did you notice a tall and lanky guy with stupidly messy/long dark hair? :P
How did it go :smile: ?

For me Dr Millers question about symmetries in C-60 was horrible, really liked the other two interviewers though ( Yunus and Mosbach )
Offer from Churchill!!!
Physical natsci!!
Reply 795
Offer from Churchill!!!
Physical natsci!!

congratulations :biggrin:
Original post by olliswe
congratulations :biggrin:

Dr. Miller will go to Durham Uni and be its senior lecturer...too sad...
Reply 797
Dr. Miller will go to Durham Uni and be its senior lecturer...too sad...

Bummer.... Btw I am hoping to pick up some Mandarin from you, could be very useful as an engineer :P you will be paid in the holy currency of Starbucks coffee :biggrin:
Original post by olliswe
Bummer.... Btw I am hoping to pick up some Mandarin from you, could be very useful as an engineer :P you will be paid in the holy currency of Starbucks coffee :biggrin:

Sorry, I prefer a female ...

well just kidding:biggrin:
Hey, don't mention the rewards~ it'd great to make a new friend and you will definitely find loads of Chinese people in Churchill.
Hello.Can anyone tell me whether students can choose their own room when applying for Year 1?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending