The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Biochemist1
She's a contractor in RBS, currently working in PPI but will soon start a qualification so she can advise. Thinking she'll probably move to mortgage/ loan advisory after that :smile:

The ppi thing is horrible. Shes on 32k cos shes on a dayrate in london the same job gets 190 a day. Yes I did the same job as your sister for a bit. But they do pay for the diploma in financial planning thing so it could be worse I suppose.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by cacra
What do you consider the greatest piece of art to have ever been created?

Maybe Hamlet, the Mona Lisa, Beethoven's 9th...?

These were all created without a government subsidy because consumers were willing to pay for them. The argument that without government intervention no art would exist is a flawed one because, in my opinion, the greatest pieces of art were created free from government intervention.

I think you would be hard pressed to argue that if we cut government funding for arts Shakespeare's reputation would plunge and we would struggle to attract tourists to his theater.

And the most complex forms of literature which arose during the modernist period, including works such as Ulysses, Finnigans Wake, etc, wouldn't exist without artistic subsidies.
Original post by cacra
How about we scrap all funding for art, lower taxes and let people decide what they spend their money on?

If you think any government would lower taxes after scrapping funding then you're pretty naive :frown:

Especially considering it would amount to roughly £1 per month off income tax.
Cacra is the kind of person nobody wants as a mate.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Moonstruck16

Posted from TSR Mobile

Lol

Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile

bloke sounds like he can have top banter, i'd love to have a few beers with the fella
Original post by daindian
The ppi thing is horrible. Shes on 32k cos shes on a dayrate in london the same job gets 190 a day. Yes I did the same job as your sister for a bit. But they do pay for the diploma in financial planning thing so it could be worse I suppose.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well she's technically self employed and her pay ranges from £150 (now that her training period is over) to £175 a day depending on her performance. I know when she first started that her salary worked out at £32. I also don't think she's working in PPI anymore, but I can't particularly remember what she department she was moved to.

She works in Manchester, not sure whether the sentence reads that she work in London, or the same job in London pays more.

I know she doesn't particularly like it, but it's an easy way to save for a mortgage etc.
Reply 347

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ah, let me guess, English lit student?
Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by cacra
Ah, let me guess, English lit student?
Posted from TSR Mobile

Biology.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 349

£19k average salary?

Ouch
Original post by cacra
£19k average salary?

Ouch

Only an idiot would make the immediate assumption that I want to be a biologist when I graduate or that I want to remain in the UK. Nonetheless, if I find a biologist job with a 19k initial salary and opportunity to progress, which I enjoy, I'd take it.
Reply 351
Only an idiot would make the immediate assumption that I want to be a biologist when I graduate or that I want to remain in the UK. Nonetheless, if I find a biologist job with a 19k initial salary and opportunity to progress, which I enjoy, I'd take it.

The thing is, that figure doesn't take into account what you want to do. It only takes into account what actual people with Biology degrees do do, regardless of where they live. I'm sure you are aware that jobs in Biology are extremely hard to come by, that's why the salary is so low; you learning skills that are essentially useless in the workplace.
Original post by cacra
The thing is, that figure doesn't take into account what you want to do. It only takes into account what actual people with Biology degrees do do, regardless of where they live. I'm sure you are aware that jobs in Biology are extremely hard to come by, that's why the salary is so low; you learning skills that are essentially useless in the workplace.

We'll see. I'm enjoying my degree. I know of many biology/ other lie science graduate friends who are on 25k+ starting salaries since I'm from a London uni. I'm happy with what I'm doing and have the rest of my life to figure out what I want to do. You are essentially dead to me so I don't really care about what you have to say.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Computer Science should be on that list. A 2.1 from a RG uni can get you into a 30k+ starting salary job.
Original post by CompSci89
Computer Science should be on that list. A 2.1 from a RG uni can get you into a 30k+ starting salary job.

So can a 3rd in Pointless Studies from the University of the Back End of Nowhere (est 2015).

When one looks at employment prospects for a degree, the issues are:-

(a) what proportion get well paid and desirable jobs

(b) what proportion get jobs which whilst not initially well paid or desirable have a clear route of progression to a well paid and desirable job with little fall out

(c) what has the degree cost in past and future lost income and past and future (if the job requires additional study) fees.
Reply 355

You live in the UK and study Biology? Guess I'm an idiot then as it seems a very reasonable assumption.
Original post by Reue
You live in the UK and study Biology? Guess I'm an idiot then as it seems a very reasonable assumption.

Sure it is a reasonable assumption, but it is smarter to not make such assumptions at all.
Original post by banterboy
And the most complex forms of literature which arose during the modernist period, including works such as Ulysses, Finnigans Wake, etc, wouldn't exist without artistic subsidies.

Go Ireland! haha
Original post by Doctor_Einstein
Sure it is a reasonable assumption, but it is smarter to not make such assumptions at all.

Original post by Reue

Assumptions really bring out the worst in people.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Broscientist
Don't get your panties in a bunch. Yes, liberal arts students from Oxbridge or even RG universities can do well for themselves... But is it really the most useful subject? No. Does it give you any real practical skill? No. Does it prepare you for jobs that matter? No. Not the best way to go about your future now, is it? Especially if you are not an over-privileged academic drone. This "follow your heart" nonsense can get quite expensive, you know. And it is quite clear that this factor did not matter to you at all when you made the choice. For some people it does, A LOT.

Whether people like to admit it or not, for most of them, going to university essentially boils down to the sacrifice of time and financial resources in order to become better qualified in order to secure a better future for themselves and their potential families. Nobody who cares even remotely about the factors presented above would risk all of that to study History at university level. No offense.

A degree in history by itself does not prepare you for much. "Academic ability and flexibility" means absolutely nothing and it is not exactly in demand in the real world. I am sure that even Harvard Women/Gender Studies graduates can go on and on how academically demanding their course was, but I doubt that anyone cares. Getting things done is what actually matters.

I find your last paragraph more of an emotional outburst than a rational statement so let me point some things out for you:
1. Life does not revolve around getting in Oxbridge.
2. Recruiters for STEM jobs couldn't care less about your "academic" background. Can you do the job? Yes - good. No - **** off. Of course, there are a lot more things that go into the mix such as your attitude, motivation etc. You are expected to present a mix of practical skills/abilities/knowledge of actual value which are appropriate for the job. Otherwise you go for IB, law, consulting, the typical corporate jobs, w/e it is that is not a meritocracy and relies more on background and/or brown-nosing and shamelessly sucking dick uhhhhh, excuse me, NETWORKING is what they call it, I believe.
3. Anyone who expects things to be handed to him/her just because of the university he/she attended will never achieve anything of significance.

Don't get me wrong - I thoroughly enjoy reading about classical antiquity in my spare time, so I have nothing against History.

That is what I have to say on the matter I guess.

Excuse my non-Oxbridge, plebeian opinion, m'lord.

Well said !

Latest

Trending

Trending