The Student Room Group

Can you study abroad even if your uni doesnt do it?

Can I still study abroad even if my uni doesnt offer it? Also do all unis have a Erasmus office?
Reply 1
All universities in the UK are part of the Erasmus scheme. Their website has a lot of details on it. If you are wanting to study abroad full time, are you aware that Germany and scandinavian countries don't charge fees?
Reply 2
Original post by ExRN
All universities in the UK are part of the Erasmus scheme. Their website has a lot of details on it. If you are wanting to study abroad full time, are you aware that Germany and scandinavian countries don't charge fees?

I searched all over the Uni of Bedfordshire (where I am going) but to know avail, and plus I didn't know Germany and Scandinavian countries don't charge 😆
Reply 3
Original post by Zrrg
I searched all over the Uni of Bedfordshire (where I am going) but to know avail, and plus I didn't know Germany and Scandinavian countries don't charge 😆

Yeah definatley man. A lot of people are venturing over there to study. If you check the Erasmus scheme website you will find plenty of details about the ins and outs of it. A huge misconception is that it's only language students that take part in it. You can be from any discipline though. On my course I will be spending my third year between Spain, Germany and Italy. I don't know what you are studying but have you considered doing a language module from year 1 and then maybe doing a year in industry in year three in the country where that language is spoken. Could open some more doors for you.
Reply 4
Original post by ExRN
Yeah definatley man. A lot of people are venturing over there to study. If you check the Erasmus scheme website you will find plenty of details about the ins and outs of it. A huge misconception is that it's only language students that take part in it. You can be from any discipline though. On my course I will be spending my third year between Spain, Germany and Italy. I don't know what you are studying but have you considered doing a language module from year 1 and then maybe doing a year in industry in year three in the country where that language is spoken. Could open some more doors for you.

I'm studying English Lit so I'm in a tricky situation. I was a bit worried that my uni didnt display theyre apart of Erasmus, as I would love to study in either Europe or N. America. I don't get why'd they would not publicise theyre apart of erasmus.
Reply 5
Original post by Zrrg
I'm studying English Lit so I'm in a tricky situation. I was a bit worried that my uni didnt display theyre apart of Erasmus, as I would love to study in either Europe or N. America. I don't get why'd they would not publicise theyre apart of erasmus.

Erasmus wouldn't stretch to the states dude. Its a European initiative. If you are studying English lit, wouldn't it be wise to do a little cross over into the classics? I know its not originally English but the start of modern literature was introduced by the likes of Homer and Virgil when they wrote the epics the Iliad and the Aeneid. Get into that and it might warrant a trip to Greece and Rome etc
Reply 6
Original post by ExRN
Erasmus wouldn't stretch to the states dude. Its a European initiative. If you are studying English lit, wouldn't it be wise to do a little cross over into the classics? I know its not originally English but the start of modern literature was introduced by the likes of Homer and Virgil when they wrote the epics the Iliad and the Aeneid. Get into that and it might warrant a trip to Greece and Rome etc

To be honest I don't think Beds even does Classics.

And by the way what uni do you go?
Reply 7
Original post by Zrrg
To be honest I don't think Beds even does Classics.

And by the way what uni do you go?

Im starting in September at hull to study three languages. Bit of a major game changer to be honest. I haven't been in education since I was 15 :-/ I am sure it will be all good though.
Reply 8
Original post by ExRN
Im starting in September at hull to study three languages. Bit of a major game changer to be honest. I haven't been in education since I was 15 :-/ I am sure it will be all good though.

Yeah you'll be fine! Don't worry! Also let me ask, how can you find out if your uni has an Erasmus office?
Reply 9
Original post by Zrrg
Yeah you'll be fine! Don't worry! Also let me ask, how can you find out if your uni has an Erasmus office?

Obviously I don't know from experience dude but I would hazard a guess at maybe asking the student services department? Maybe a quick email over to the admission tutor that should have made contact during the registration process?
If it was me, I wouldn't go directly to the department I was studying in as they may think I was less interested in the subject they teach and more of getting abroad. That's just me though.
Reply 10
Original post by ExRN
Obviously I don't know from experience dude but I would hazard a guess at maybe asking the student services department? Maybe a quick email over to the admission tutor that should have made contact during the registration process?
If it was me, I wouldn't go directly to the department I was studying in as they may think I was less interested in the subject they teach and more of getting abroad. That's just me though.

I'll try that thanks

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending