The Student Room Group

Year abroad

Hi all, I will be studying history and politics at university, and all of my choices offer a year abroad. For anyone who has done something similar, maybe in a similar subject, what was the experience like? Is it worth it? Is it more or less notable for employers? Thank you! :smile:
Original post by objectionable-re
Hi all, I will be studying history and politics at university, and all of my choices offer a year abroad. For anyone who has done something similar, maybe in a similar subject, what was the experience like? Is it worth it? Is it more or less notable for employers? Thank you! :smile:
Hi @objectionable-re

While I didn't do a year abroad for my undergraduate, I'm currently doing a one year MA course as an international student. Any opportunity of visiting a new country and experiencing the culture there, and on top studying in the school system there, is well worth it, I would say.
It's great that you will have this opportunity with your course. Some courses at my uni offer trips to European countries every year and from what I heard from other students, they say even a short trip like that was so beneficial, imagine doing a full year of that.
In terms of employment, it would really depend. I personally think that a year abroad is more about you and broadening your horizons to the world in general. Whether or not future employers will see that as a big plus is up for debate and frankly too far into the future to think about. But I can safely say, in any case, it definitely won't be a minus.

Best
Milena
MA Creative and Critical Writing at Uni of Suffolk

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending