The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

In response to The_Myth Leader's question: Germany has the largest economy in Europe and is the founding member of the EU. No country can be completely unaffected by its ties to other nations, but as far as this particular contest goes, Germany would have more autonomy in its decision making, relatively, simply because it has the fortune of holding a stronger economy.

Having said this, we have a strong alliance with the rest of the EU. As many of our main political values reflect the overall political consensus of the EU (on the more major issues.. like those that would be dealt with within the SC) we don't feel that our alliance can prove to be a negative influence, but rather a positive understanding which will improve our ability to act and participate in an objective and informed manner.

Germany also posesses a greater bargaining power than its contestants because it has airbases of strategic importance.
What have you learned from past resolutions and their effectiveness?
The_Myth Leader
What have you learned from past resolutions and their effectiveness?

Did you mean past MUN resolutions, or past UN resolutions? :confused:

Not the best example ever, but I cite the current nuclear struggle that the UN has been concerned with over past months. Both Iran and NK have defied IAEA conventions with their development of nuclear programmes. They have shown that at the end of the day a country will pursue its own interests above all else. For this reason, the most effective response is not aggression or force, but the pursuit of a peaceful compromise. North Korea has finally come to a peaceful settlement because of a diplomatic approach and the incentive of aid. Such an approach will always be more effective in drawing countries into cooperation than brute force, and must be prioritised and striven towards until the last possible moment. Iran all the while, has kicked its heels in harder and harder as the international community hounded it to comply.
Reply 23
6+6=6
What I plan to bring to the role:
Experience

Why Syria deserves a seat:
greater global representation in the UN, and a chance to turn a western talking shop into a floor for productive debate, especially considering the fact that the Iran issue is rather prominent at present.

Let's face it, the MUN has been a bit crap recently in terms of participation and debate, no point denying it as acceptance is the first step to change. If you want it to change, vote Syria in for some productive debate at the SC level and more resolutions at the GA level.

Main priority; sorting out the Iran debacle and coming to a mutually beneficial agreement for all parties involved in the current mid east fiasco. You want us to be on your side, to stop what we are doing, allow us to have a greater voice and representation in the decision making process. Sideline us and you will regret it.

I'm not trying to be a ****, but didn't you just get removed from the UK for lack of participation?:confused: Why should we believe that you will be more active in a lesser role with a smaller country?
Reply 24
Apollo
I'm not trying to be a ****, but didn't you just get removed from the UK for lack of participation?:confused: Why should we believe that you will be more active in a lesser role with a smaller country?

I second that question. :smile:
Craghyrax

Did you mean past MUN resolutions, or past UN resolutions? :confused:

Any. Your example was fine. :smile:
The_Myth Leader
Any. Your example was fine. :smile:

Thankyou :smile:
Reply 27
SC-candidates: What are you envisioning your next resolution (and first as SC member) to be concerning?
alasdair_R
SC-candidates: What are you envisioning your next resolution (and first as SC member) to be concerning?

In the light of Iran's response to the latest resolution concerning its nuclear programme, Germany plans to follow this up with a revised resolution:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/middle_east/6390067.stm
Reply 29
Apollo

I was away for a period of time, I'm back now, hence I've been posting since my removal. Plus I find it much easier to represent Syria
Reply 30
Indonesia has studied the responses to this thread, and has arrived at a decision on our candidate-of-choice, also considering each candidate's track record of participation in the MUN.

Bring on the polls!
Yeah, I think my mind is kind of made up. Still willing to be persuaded by any of the candidates though until the poll goes up. I haven't heard from Egypt yet.
In terms of the countries represented, this would be a one-horse race for Russia's vote from the off, but of course we're supposed to be going on the actual representatives themselves so Russia is still undecided.
Reply 33
To all candidates what you think about the current debate surrounding Iran and what is the best way to ensure a peaceful resolution?
Reply 34
6+6=6
Let's face it, the MUN has been a bit crap recently in terms of participation and debate, no point denying it as acceptance is the first step to change. If you want it to change, vote Syria in for some productive debate at the SC level and more resolutions at the GA level.

a) How can you know about the degree of discussion at the SC level of late?
b) Why would resolutions at the GA level only be submitted were you to win a seat in the SC? If not, then this forms no basis for your elevation to the SC.
The_Myth Leader
Yeah, I think my mind is kind of made up. Still willing to be persuaded by any of the candidates though until the poll goes up. I haven't heard from Egypt yet.

Egypt!? :confused: I'm not surprised :wink: Do you mean Greece?
randdom
To all candidates what you think about the current debate surrounding Iran and what is the best way to ensure a peaceful resolution?

The UN has a responsibility to protect international peace, and as such it cannot compromise on its regulations regarding nuclear weaponry. At the same time, for that very reason the UN must try to find a peaceful compromise with Iran. Unfortunately it is not possible "to ensure a peaceful resolution"; such an end is dependent of the responses of both the international community and Iran. The UN must do its utmost to identify a sufficiently high incentive to motivate Iran to comply with regulations; much the same way as it sought to in dealings with North Korea.
Reply 37
When is the poll going to be up?
Reply 38
Well, there are still questions to be answered :p:
Reply 39
What does each of the candidates feel they will bring to the SC table? Is there any issues they would press if they attained the spot?

Latest

Trending

Trending