The Student Room Group

Which university for undergrad psych

Hey

I'm an international student who's very interested in studying psychology in the UK. As a result of being international, I don't have the opportunity to visit any universities, which is why I am asking here.

I'm interested in studying social or clinical psychology later on, and will most likely pursue a PhD or a PsyD. I plan to do my undergraduate in the UK and my postgraduate in the USA, therefore international reputation is a factor in my decision.

I've narrowed down my choices to the following five:

City University London
Queen Mary University
University of East Anglia
University of Liverpool
University of Lancaster

My question is, which one of the above five universities would you choose for psychology? I know that every opinion is subjective, and you may use whatever criteria you want to. Although please take into account that I am an international student, therefore accommodation is an important factor as well, which may be a problem with my London university choices?

Any reply would be helpful!

Thanks
Original post by cazzem
Hey

I'm an international student who's very interested in studying psychology in the UK. As a result of being international, I don't have the opportunity to visit any universities, which is why I am asking here.

I'm interested in studying social or clinical psychology later on, and will most likely pursue a PhD or a PsyD. I plan to do my undergraduate in the UK and my postgraduate in the USA, therefore international reputation is a factor in my decision.

I've narrowed down my choices to the following five:

City University London
Queen Mary University
University of East Anglia
University of Liverpool
University of Lancaster

My question is, which one of the above five universities would you choose for psychology? I know that every opinion is subjective, and you may use whatever criteria you want to. Although please take into account that I am an international student, therefore accommodation is an important factor as well, which may be a problem with my London university choices?

Any reply would be helpful!

Thanks

Hi,

Out of those choices Liverpool and Queen Mary's are both Russell Group universities (which means they're known for their high research standards), so this might give them a bit of an edge over the rest in terms of reputation. Personally, as an international student I think I would be drawn in by the excitement of London, but you'd definitely want to weigh this up in terms of cost as UEA, Liverpool, and Lancaster are going to be ridiculously cheaper than the two London ones...
UEA's a good shout tbh from what ive heard
Of those I would say UEA probably has the best reputation for Psychology. How did you narrow it to those?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Millie1986
Of those I would say UEA probably has the best reputation for Psychology. How did you narrow it to those?

Posted from TSR Mobile

what you looking to study?
Reply 5
Thanks for the replies everyone! Much appreciated.

I narrowed it down to these due to their modules appealed to me, and their overall reputation is decent, although with a reasonable entry requirement (at least for me)..

I've also been looking into sociology, and it seems interesting as well. The thing about sociology that attracts me is that there isn't the biological aspect in it, unlike psychology. I'm not a big fan of biology and learning about brain parts, as I find it uninteresting. Of course it's important to learn about this in psychology, I understand that, but how much biology is involved in psychology in university? Would I do better with sociology since it doesn't involve biology?

Quick Reply

Latest