The Student Room Group

Psychology work experience

Does anyone know of any work experience for psychology or that would be useful when applying to uni for psych? Preferably in the Cardiff area? Thank you
Reply 1
Ive asked many universities regardiing work experience within psychology and many of them say that you dont really need to do work experience.
If you do then do whatever work experience that you find. It doesnt need to be specific
Ah okay then, I think I will look for some general experience just in case. Thank you!
Reply 3
Original post by serenabraham
Ah okay then, I think I will look for some general experience just in case. Thank you!

Any kind of helping role would be well regarded. This could be something like volunteering in a befriending service (Age UK offer this kind of thing), in a youth club/centre, or something like that. Being able to demonstrate you are compassionate, open-minded, caring and able to demonstrate warmth and empathy, would be very valuable!
Original post by Nerol
Any kind of helping role would be well regarded. This could be something like volunteering in a befriending service (Age UK offer this kind of thing), in a youth club/centre, or something like that. Being able to demonstrate you are compassionate, open-minded, caring and able to demonstrate warmth and empathy, would be very valuable!

That’s very helpful, thank you very much!!
You don't need work experience for applying for an undergrad degree
Does anyone know of any work experience for psychology or that would be useful when applying to uni for psych? Preferably in the Cardiff area? Thank you

Hey I currently study psych second year and I didn’t have much experience in the psych area at all so yes it’s not really needed. But however an easy way to gain psych related work experience would be using “7cups” and sign up as an online listener. It requires helping people who have problems online and I think it’s good for a little small easy work experience you can add
Reply 7
That sounds brilliant, I will take a look at that. To be honest it’s just anything that I can do to show I’m eager.

Original post by 1321Zainab
Hey I currently study psych second year and I didn’t have much experience in the psych area at all so yes it’s not really needed. But however an easy way to gain psych related work experience would be using “7cups” and sign up as an online listener. It requires helping people who have problems online and I think it’s good for a little small easy work experience you can add

Hiya! I'm a psychology student at Cardiff University, in my second year currently. I would recommend having a look at SVC Volunteering, its a website that provides amazing volunteering opportunities important for psychology in Cardiff and surrounding areas! The careers advisors at my uni recommends it, its a really useful sight. The best types of volunteering opportunities, I would say, are the ones where you are doing a supportive role in helping others.

Hope thats helped! If you had any other questions, let me know and I'd be happy to answer them :smile:

- Fatiha, Cardiff Uni Student Rep
Reply 9
Original post by CardiffUni Rep 2
Hiya! I'm a psychology student at Cardiff University, in my second year currently. I would recommend having a look at SVC Volunteering, its a website that provides amazing volunteering opportunities important for psychology in Cardiff and surrounding areas! The careers advisors at my uni recommends it, its a really useful sight. The best types of volunteering opportunities, I would say, are the ones where you are doing a supportive role in helping others.

Hope thats helped! If you had any other questions, let me know and I'd be happy to answer them :smile:

Ah thank you! I’ve heard a few people talking about that site but it’s great to hear more information about it. Thank you
Ah thank you! I’ve heard a few people talking about that site but it’s great to hear more information about it. Thank you

No worries! If you had any more questions about work experience or psychology in general, I'm happy to talk about it :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest