The Student Room Group

Exeter Medicine Applicants 2016 Entry

Scroll to see replies

Reply 780
For those of you still worried about having not been invited for interview despite high predicted A2s and UKCAT scores, *Don't Worry*! If you're in a high tier with a reasonable UKCAT you will be called for interview eventually! They don't send out invites in order or ranking, I believe they pick people for certain days based on where they live, so it may very well be the case that you live in an area with a later interview date, so haven't been sent an invite yet :smile: I know how nerve-wracking the whole waiting process is, but comparing scores with other people and then complaining about the uni's selection process won't make them send you an invite any quicker :wink: Feel free to ask me any questions you may have!
Original post by VARRRDAQ
Does anybody have interview in March?

Yes I have an interview on March 14th
It's late I know, but they said they can't reschedule
Reply 782
is today last day of getting interviews. Are doors closing today?
Original post by nkb01
We shall wait and see 0.0

When do they start sending out invites? Like when does the office open?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Tanishqa
When do they start sending out invites? Like when does the office open?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I assume it's 9:00

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by nkb01
Good luck guys. I hope we get something today!

Fingers crossed! Do you mind if i ask which tier you're in?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by nkb01
Good luck guys. I hope we get something today!

Best of luck to you too! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by adershsaravanaa
I assume it's 9:00

Posted from TSR Mobile

I hope they're still sending out interviews. Eeeeeep. Best of luck! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 788
tier 3 with ukcat 692.5. Any chances
I hope they're still sending out interviews. Eeeeeep. Best of luck! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you and the same to you!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 790
Original post by cwi111
For those of you still worried about having not been invited for interview despite high predicted A2s and UKCAT scores, *Don't Worry*! If you're in a high tier with a reasonable UKCAT you will be called for interview eventually! They don't send out invites in order or ranking, I believe they pick people for certain days based on where they live, so it may very well be the case that you live in an area with a later interview date, so haven't been sent an invite yet :smile: I know how nerve-wracking the whole waiting process is, but comparing scores with other people and then complaining about the uni's selection process won't make them send you an invite any quicker :wink: Feel free to ask me any questions you may have!

Hi
I am so worried but still got a bit of hope after gone through your post. My A2 predictions are A*A*A and UKCAT score 720 and do you think they will send me an interview?
Reply 791
Original post by lfc1519
Hi
I am so worried but still got a bit of hope after gone through your post. My A2 predictions are A*A*A and UKCAT score 720 and do you think they will send me an interview?

You're towards the top of tier 2 - I can't guarantee anything as the threshold changes each year, but I'd be amazed if it's any higher than that, so I wouldn't worry :smile:
Original post by cwi111
You're towards the top of tier 2 - I can't guarantee anything as the threshold changes each year, but I'd be amazed if it's any higher than that, so I wouldn't worry :smile:

There are people in tier 3 that have received interviews. Does that mean logically, everyone in tier 2 should receive interviews?
Also, how are you finding the PBL at Exeter? What would your average week be like?
Thanks!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 793
There are people in tier 3 that have received interviews. Does that mean logically, everyone in tier 2 should receive interviews?
Also, how are you finding the PBL at Exeter? What would your average week be like?
Thanks!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Logically, yeah that should be the case :smile: Last year everyone in tier 2 got an interview, as well as some from tier 3 with a very high UKCAT. Bear in mind that some people will have contextual circumstances in their application though so could be called for interview despite being in a lower tier, etc. But I'd be surprised if nearly everyone in tier 2 doesn't get an interview.
PBL's great, it's a different way of learning but you'll form a good bond with your PBL group and as everyone goes about their research in a slightly different way, you'll find yourself learning a lot more than you expect. It's all clinically-orientated too so much of the course teaches you about what doctors actually need to know, with a lot less hardcore science than I was expecting :P They do the timetable in 2 week blocks, with each PBL case taking up one block. We have PBL sessions on a Monday week 1, then we go away to do our research and feed back to the group on Tuesday week 2 and Thursday week 2. During week 1 we have LSRC (where we learn our anatomy and physiology), a bunch of lectures on topics related to the case study and a 2-hour clinical placement. Then in week 2, we have clinical skills, where the topics are also related to the stage in the life cycle we're studying, and some more lectures and a workshop (which is a sort of more interactive lecture), as well as a wrap, which is a lecture where we tie all the loose ends together as a year group. It's really good fun and it's quite chilled out down here, even though we have exams every few weeks - The flat opposite were practicing CPR on their dining room table yesterday prior to their clinical skills exams, which was quite amusing to watch xD

Try not to worry about interview invites too much and just wait and see - Thresholds change, but their is logic in the madness, and there is no correlation at all between when your invite is sent and your ranking against other applicants :smile: The applicant at the very top of tier 1 could be invited for interview really late, for example, it's just the way they like to organise things!
Reply 794
Fingers crossed! Do you mind if i ask which tier you're in?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Tier 2, what about yourself :smile:
Original post by cwi111
Logically, yeah that should be the case :smile: Last year everyone in tier 2 got an interview, as well as some from tier 3 with a very high UKCAT. Bear in mind that some people will have contextual circumstances in their application though so could be called for interview despite being in a lower tier, etc. But I'd be surprised if nearly everyone in tier 2 doesn't get an interview.
PBL's great, it's a different way of learning but you'll form a good bond with your PBL group and as everyone goes about their research in a slightly different way, you'll find yourself learning a lot more than you expect. It's all clinically-orientated too so much of the course teaches you about what doctors actually need to know, with a lot less hardcore science than I was expecting :P They do the timetable in 2 week blocks, with each PBL case taking up one block. We have PBL sessions on a Monday week 1, then we go away to do our research and feed back to the group on Tuesday week 2 and Thursday week 2. During week 1 we have LSRC (where we learn our anatomy and physiology), a bunch of lectures on topics related to the case study and a 2-hour clinical placement. Then in week 2, we have clinical skills, where the topics are also related to the stage in the life cycle we're studying, and some more lectures and a workshop (which is a sort of more interactive lecture), as well as a wrap, which is a lecture where we tie all the loose ends together as a year group. It's really good fun and it's quite chilled out down here, even though we have exams every few weeks - The flat opposite were practicing CPR on their dining room table yesterday prior to their clinical skills exams, which was quite amusing to watch xD

Try not to worry about interview invites too much and just wait and see - Thresholds change, but their is logic in the madness, and there is no correlation at all between when your invite is sent and your ranking against other applicants :smile: The applicant at the very top of tier 1 could be invited for interview really late, for example, it's just the way they like to organise things!

That sounds really good and I like how it's all clinically related. Do you do dissections at all? Thanks for all the info, really appreciate it!

Yeah, we'll just have to wait and see I guess :smile:
Original post by nkb01
Tier 2, what about yourself :smile:

same here :smile:
Anyone receive any invites yet?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 798
Any one in tier 3 got?
Anyone receive any invites yet?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Just hope for the best...really want y'all to get an invite