The Student Room Group

Exeter Medicine Applicants 2016 Entry

Scroll to see replies

Original post by nkb01
What? That's so contradictory....

Ikr! Maybe I'm thinking it's because I have been predicted an A in biology not an A*. (But they did say they use the top 3 not Biology, Chem and another subject.)
Original post by thatcooldude2.0
Ikr! Maybe I'm thinking it's because I have been predicted an A in biology not an A*. (But they did say they use the top 3 not Biology, Chem and another subject.)

Thing is bio and Chem is part of their offer isn't it ?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Ahh guys, I feel so sad for us all! I've had a look back through some of the pages on this thread and I have seen people with predicted grades of 2A*s 1A who have been invited to interview, so technically they are not in tier 1. It doesn't make sense because in the email it implied that only those in tier 1 were selected for interview. Unless those that have claimed to have interview in tiers 2 and 3 are making it up…..anyway I have emailed Exeter to find out why exactly I've been rejected. Will let you all know the outcome
Original post by yasaminO_o
The rejection email seems to suggest that only tier 1 applicants were offered interviews but reading the posts on here that seems untrue...

Or the posts on here were false...? :/

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by painandpride15
Thing is bio and Chem is part of their offer isn't it ?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hmm ..yeah that might of put me in tier 2 maybe, but their offer was never A*A*A* anyway and they did say they use the top 3 which is why I thought it was safe to apply
Original post by painandpride15
Or the posts on here were false...? :/

Posted from TSR Mobile

This is TSR m8, if people are going to lie on here they're going to make themselves look smarter, not lower their grades
The rejection email seems to suggest that only tier 1 applicants were offered interviews but reading the posts on here that seems untrue...

Edit - At the bottom it says at the bottom:
In addition to the conditions outlined further selection criteria may be employed, if required, in order to rank applications.

I have 11A*s and 3As at GCSE and I know for a fact that my personal statement and reference are very strong as I applied to four PS heavy med schools last year and got all my interviews. I can't think of any other criteria they could use.

I suspected that the 'further selection criteria' may have been to discriminate against resitters but I've seen that other resitters have interviews.

It boils my blood that they would say that they have a very specific process to select for interview and then they just totally go against it.

I'm tier 2 with 775 UKCAT.
Just got a rejection email :frown:. Was predicted A*A*A* but worst thing is that I couldn't add my predicted grades into UCAS upon submitting application since I didn't have them but. Was waiting for them to ask so that I could provide them to be cinsidered in my application but was rejected before they even knew my grades. I will admit however that my UKCAT was absolutely dreadful since I got some really bad news that day, so I guess it makes sense (2390). Still kind of bummed out that they didn't even ask, I mean doesn't that contradict the 'fair game for all applicants' policy? :s-smilie:
This is TSR m8, if people are going to lie on here they're going to make themselves look smarter, not lower their grades

Not necessarily , people can lie in any way they want online .

Posted from TSR Mobile
I think the bit at the bottom about additional selection criteria being applied is actually in reference to the medical sciences offer they're talking about guys ... Not medicine :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by NBrooks19
Ahh guys, I feel so sad for us all! I've had a look back through some of the pages on this thread and I have seen people with predicted grades of 2A*s 1A who have been invited to interview, so technically they are not in tier 1. It doesn't make sense because in the email it implied that only those in tier 1 were selected for interview. Unless those that have claimed to have interview in tiers 2 and 3 are making it up…..anyway I have emailed Exeter to find out why exactly I've been rejected. Will let you all know the outcome

Just because there is a UKCAT cutoff for tier 1, doesn't mean only they were invited for interview. The UKCAT cutoff would just be higher for other tiers.
They were kinda sneaky about using the whole aspirational schools thing as well... Oh well. 1 down 3 to go.
Original post by dairychocolate
Just because there is a UKCAT cutoff for tier 1, doesn't mean only they were invited for interview. The UKCAT cutoff would just be higher for other tiers.

Well when I spoke to them on the phone they said they only used it for one particular tier, but they weren't allowed to tell me which one. And it never says in the email that they have used a UKCAT cut-off in other tiers...anyway I'll wait to hear what they have to say first

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by dairychocolate
I suspected that the 'further selection criteria' may have been to discriminate against resitters but I've seen that other resitters have interviews.

It boils my blood that they would say that they have a very specific process to select for interview and then they just totally go against it.

I'm tier 2 with 775 UKCAT.

Thing is I even submitted evidence of my extenuating circumstances and they accepted and said my application would be considered fairly. I genuinely don't know what I've done to deserve this rejection when my other two UKCAT unis have much higher cut-offs and I've been given interviews for those places and not at Exeter.
I'm yet to hear from Exeter and now I'm worried. :frown:
Maybe they don't accept resits?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Tanishqa

Posted from TSR Mobile

They do accept resits

Posted from TSR Mobile

Their website explicitly says that they don't discriminate against resit applicants though. We'll probably never know what the hell is going on. :s-smilie:
Original post by Dunkman
They do accept resits

Posted from TSR Mobile

Original post by Hydeman
Their website explicitly says that they don't discriminate against resit applicants though. We'll probably never know what the hell is going on. :s-smilie:

You guys should definitely give them a call then.

Posted from TSR Mobile
You guys should definitely give them a call then.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I have an interview and I am a resist applicant

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending