The Student Room Group

Exeter Medicine Applicants 2016 Entry

Scroll to see replies

Original post by You Love Me
P.S2: Refer to P.S for your little comment about empathy. They university must have thought i was empathetic enough.

Don't count your chickens before your eggs hatch buddy - you haven't gotten an offer yet, only an interview. Tbh, if you acted half as insensitive or rude in your interview as you are on here, I'm sure the interviewers be able to pick it up and it won't reflect nicely on yourself. Empathy is a major part of being successful in medicine and you have demonstrated to us on here you lack it.

PS I was looking through your previous posts because I was genuinely thinking only a troll could be so rude. Turns out you're not a troll and have actually applied to medicine, but, you seemed worried that unis may be able to discover your true identity from reading TSR. Now, if that doesn't prove even you know your ability to empathise with others is poor and you come across badly, I don't know what does! :smile:

Good luck!

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Hopefulmedic15
Don't count your chickens before your eggs hatch buddy - you haven't gotten an offer yet, only an interview. Tbh, if you acted half as insensitive or rude in your interview as you are on here, I'm sure the interviewers be able to pick it up and it won't reflect nicely on yourself. Empathy is a major part of being successful in medicine and you have demonstrated to us on here you lack it.

PS I was looking through your previous posts because I was genuinely thinking only a troll could be so rude. Turns out you're not a troll and have actually applied to medicine, but, you seemed worried that unis may be able to discover your true identity from reading TSR. Now, if that doesn't prove even you know your ability to empathise with others is poor and you come across badly, I don't know what does! :smile:

Good luck!

Posted from TSR Mobile

I like you. You really do your research, don't you? 😂😂😂
HiFi. :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Tanishqa

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well, you have to be well informed on people before drawing conclusions on their personalities; it's only fair! 😂😂

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

Good luck!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Original post by Tanishqa

Posted from TSR Mobile

Refer to P.S of my comment to yasamin where I mentioned not caring what you think about the qualities I have or need.

Also i have interviews* and I don't think one comment about arrogance is enough to justify your claim of me lacking empathy is it?

Nice of you to have nothing productive to do, so yo can take a venture down my posts.
Who are u to claim that you know what my motives are behind me not wanting anyone to know who I am? Even if your theory of me knowing I cannot empathise is true, i must be good at coming across as I can on my ps due to my interview offers.
Or Perhaps it was so the universities don't know my first choice.
Or Perhaps it was so unis won't know if I mentioned anything about my experience there.

Perhaps you should find something better to do with your time than complaining about not receiving an interview/backing people up who are being silly or scrolling through random people's posts to find unnecessary information about people you don't know/envy.

And I don't sympathise with arrogant people who are going off on rants like they're important.

And the other tanishqa girl, I wouldn't say wasting time looking at a few of my posts is research, I would say it's having nothing productive to do and being very childish.
Who needs YouTube or Netflix when you have the Exeter medicine 2016 applicants thread.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hey guys,

2nd year medic at Exeter here,

I'm doing a couple of tours around St Lukes tomorrow (technically today I guess) for those coming in for interviews and I'll be around until the 17th so if anyone wants to be shown round or want to ask anything both in person or on here about the course, feel free to contact me or I can make a more detailed post about the course structure/exams if wanted.

For those still waiting to do interviews - good luck! When I applied it was a panel interview so I don;t know too much about how it is done now, but I do think that mine was by no means particularly good. I guess the key is to relax, don't try to sound too robotic/rehearsed in your stations and not to say anything too outrageous!

For those who have received a rejection - I don't know your personal circumstances but I had a terrible first round of applications with four rejections, and mediocre UKCAT, BMAT and A-level scores. I took a gap year and even then, my UKCAT was not particularly high and my interview was not brilliant either when I applied to Exeter, so don't rule out any possibility unless it's been ruled out for you.

Unlike what some others on this thread might say, I think luck and first impressions do dictate a lot on whether you do end up getting an offer so if possible try not to take it as a personal insult to your personal worth as you probably are as worthy as many of the candidates who eventually are accepted in. Unfortunately, the Uni has to draw a line somewhere but these generic responses they offer when they notify you often can be very unhelpful or plain useless. Try and see if you can get some feedback as to why you were not accepted to help with any future applications.

You are just being immature and arrogant by not accepting the fact that you have been rejected, simple as that.
There's no need to go off on a rant all the time about how you deserve a place and using the excuse that "my sister deserved a place" when we all know you are just crying about it because you've been rejected. The evidence was the e-mail.

You being unable to accept the fact you have been rejected and being arrogant shows great character doesn't it? Perfect for a doctor. You guys are acting all important, like your insignificant little rants will do anything. They won't.
Stop acting like you have some authority or are better than others because you were obviously rejected for a reason.

As if you are doing this to help you with the progress of your other applications, its easy to see you are showing your egotistic personality because you simply are annoyed that you were rejected as you think you are more deserving of an invite. How could sending an immature email help you in the progress of other applications?

I'm not sympathetic for you because you are being bitter about it. Yeah you can contact them and ask them what's going on, but constantly posting on here about how exeter have done you wrong and how you deserve a place is stupidly pointless.

Stop being a baby and suck it up.

P.S: Don't care for insignificant comments about me not showing good qualities of a doctor or character either. :tongue:

@thatcooldude2.0
Insignificant rants won't help students. Simply stating your stats and that you weren't invited to an interview might but admission policies change every year.
Those people with not as good stats obviously got chosen for a reason.
Sure, you can use the petty excuse of people being picked out by chance (or "out of the hat":wink: if that makes you feel better and doesn't diminish your ego.
Also your comment about it could be the only chance they have for medicine; yasamin has two other interviews.

P.S2: Refer to P.S for your little comment about empathy. They university must have thought i was empathetic enough.

While I agree that people shouldn't feel "entitled" to a place, I'd highly suggest being cautious with what you write online, particularly when it's all in the public domain. There may be some admissions tutors who are sad/wise enough to do a bit of snooping online, and you wouldn't want them to find anything that reflects negative things upon your character.

While I'm sure you are a perfectly capable student and doctor-in-waiting, I'd suggest that hypocrisy and arrogance is something we have enough of in this career path.

Best of luck to all x
Refer to P.S of my comment to yasamin where I mentioned not caring what you think about the qualities I have or need.

Also i have interviews* and I don't think one comment about arrogance is enough to justify your claim of me lacking empathy is it?

Nice of you to have nothing productive to do, so yo can take a venture down my posts.
Who are u to claim that you know what my motives are behind me not wanting anyone to know who I am? Even if your theory of me knowing I cannot empathise is true, i must be good at coming across as I can on my ps due to my interview offers.
Or Perhaps it was so unis won't know if I mentioned anything about my experience there.

Perhaps you should find something better to do with your time than complaining about not receiving an interview/backing people up who are being silly or scrolling through random people's posts to find unnecessary information about people you don't know/envy.

And I don't sympathise with arrogant people who are going off on rants like they're important.

And the other tanishqa girl, I wouldn't say wasting time looking at a few of my posts is research, I would say it's having nothing productive to do and being very childish.

Original post by painandpride15
Who needs YouTube or Netflix when you have the Exeter medicine 2016 applicants thread.

Ikr. But I really think it's time for us to stop this. We've done our bit and sent in our emails. They'll get back to us and we'll have an answer. Like I said earlier, we're not entitled to an offer but we're entitled to a rejection feedback. I really do hope it gets sorted for all of us.
As for you love me, congratulations on your interviews. No one is trying to hurt anyone here. What I said, was in jest. What you said earlier was a little insensitive because a rejection is not a small matter. I'm in the same position as you right now. I have two interviews (NOT boasting but letting you know that we're in the same boat) and Exeter is still considering my application as my predicted grades were sent a little late. I've not been rejected yet but I empathize with everyone who has been.
This is SO going to be my last post on this issue. Best of luck everyone! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile

Exeter don't look at your personal statement so I'm assuming you received an interview for being predicted 3A*s. They can only assess how you come across in your interview; you weren't selected for your shining personality pre-interview.

To also correct you on something else, it took me a few seconds to see the thread you started, and regardless of your motives behind asking if your identity can be found on here, it raises questions (as it did for myself) as to what you have to hide.

Most importantly, the only reason I replied to your first post is because you saw people receiving rejections (whilst knowing you had an interview) and your response was not to say 'that's a shame, I hope you hear better news elsewhere', it was 'why are all of you so bitter about your rejections?' 'Why are you being arrogant, assuming you deserve a place' (which btw, if you read most of the posts people aren't actually saying 'I should have received an interview', it was questioning why what Exeter had told us about their selection process differed from the reality). It comes off in very bad taste.

As the current med student just mentioned, it does come across as hypocritical and quite arrogant on your part. You don't know the interview selection process any better than we do. You having X more amount of A*s at GCSEs and predicted A2s does not necessarily make you a better applicant to become a doctor, and it definitely does not give you the right to tell people, who were just rejected, that they should stop being bitter.

Really, I think I've said enough to you and I doubt any of it will stick with you. Maybe think why so many people did not agree with what you said and how it made you come across, it's not for our benefit, it's for yours.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Just to try and present a different perspective for people on this post, for those of your who are complaining about the lack of transparency in Exeter's selection strategy, do u have evidence to prove that other universities have completely stuck by their selection criteria also? Would it be fair to say some of your are making these claims about Exeter based on irrational emotions (which I totally understand where you are coming from) ?

If you consider the number of people who have commented about not getting an interview but actually have the stats, you only represent a very very very small % of the possible sample group therefore making your case quite insignificant. (And don't try and say I am not being empathetic, I am simply try to present a more logical perspective that any prospective science student should try to do)

Also just a bit of theory crafting here: I think I remember reading somewhere that in your rejection email Exeter mentioned about reading personal statement but not having scored them? Well how do u guys propose a PS can be scored, on what grounds can u put a value on someone's personal feelings? And the fact that they even mentioned about reading them might suggest that it was perhaps used to consider who they would ask for interviews?

Lastly I just want to say that this isn't the first time Exeter has recruited for a medicine degree, they know what to look for and what they are doing and it's not really our job to second guess their professionalism. The fact that some people are claiming any university offering a medicine degree could be considered their "safe" choice is frankly slightly delusional, medicine graduates from any university would have to be approved by the same governing board in the end to be eligible to practise so they are in principle all just as good at each other.

I know the last paragraph might seem a little targeted at certain individuals but that is only because most of the opinions/comments are coming from them, so it's nothing personal, it's simply because your voices are the only ones that can be replied to.
The eight people that applied from my school were rejected at the exact same time for this course at this uni.
The title of this thread should be named Exeter Medicine Applicant BEEF :biggrin:
Original post by futureDOCTOR2k15
The title of this thread should be named Exeter Medicine Applicant BEEF :biggrin:

That's racist to cows. :fuhrer: :unimpressed:

Spoiler

Original post by abwmx
The eight people that applied from my school were rejected at the exact same time for this course at this uni.

Ouch. :/ Do those eight people include you?
Original post by etorWehSredruM
Lastly I just want to say that this isn't the first time Exeter has recruited for a medicine degree, they know what to look for and what they are doing and it's not really our job to second guess their professionalism.

I agreed with the rest of your post but I take issue with this. It is absolutely appropriate for those who've applied to become members of an establishment to question the fairness of the selection procedures of that establishment. It can't really be argued that people shouldn't doubt their competence because they've shown competence in recruiting in the past.

Even if that could be argued, it would be open to the counter-argument that, yes, Exeter has recruited medics before, but has used more than one set of selection criteria in the past. Their latest method of using predicted grades to place applicants in tiers is quite recent so, again, it can hardly be sold as a foolproof method on the basis of having worked consistently well in the past because it hasn't been used for long enough to justify that statement.

On different note: I agree that the words 'safe choice' might not be the best ones to use with regards to medicine, but I think it's reasonably obvious to anyone who knows about the resit policies of UK medical schools that this refers to Exeter's unique status as the only UK medical school that does not disadvantage those applicants resitting A Level exams outside of the usual two-year period regardless of any extenuating circumstances or the grades achieved at the first attempt. Perhaps 'safest choice' might have been more appropriate.
(edited 8 years ago)

Only the last research in part was addressed to you, none of the rest.
Original post by Hydeman
That's racist to cows. :fuhrer: :unimpressed:

Spoiler

😨😨😨😥😥😥
I apologise to the cows I've offended
Exeter don't look at your personal statement so I'm assuming you received an interview for being predicted 3A*s. They can only assess how you come across in your interview; you weren't selected for your shining personality pre-interview.

To also correct you on something else, it took me a few seconds to see the thread you started, and regardless of your motives behind asking if your identity can be found on here, it raises questions (as it did for myself) as to what you have to hide.

Most importantly, the only reason I replied to your first post is because you saw people receiving rejections (whilst knowing you had an interview) and your response was not to say 'that's a shame, I hope you hear better news elsewhere', it was 'why are all of you so bitter about your rejections?' 'Why are you being arrogant, assuming you deserve a place' (which btw, if you read most of the posts people aren't actually saying 'I should have received an interview', it was questioning why what Exeter had told us about their selection process differed from the reality). It comes off in very bad taste.

As the current med student just mentioned, it does come across as hypocritical and quite arrogant on your part. You don't know the interview selection process any better than we do. You having X more amount of A*s at GCSEs and predicted A2s does not necessarily make you a better applicant to become a doctor, and it definitely does not give you the right to tell people, who were just rejected, that they should stop being bitter.

Really, I think I've said enough to you and I doubt any of it will stick with you. Maybe think why so many people did not agree with what you said and how it made you come across, it's not for our benefit, it's for yours.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Exeter did read the personal statement, and even if they didn't my other universities do so my point stands.

My motives behind it are irrelevant and for u to come up with stupid assumptions is quite immature.

My comment was more targeted at a specific person and the people joining in with them. Nothing towards the people who were humble about their rejection.

I never mentioned my GCSEs or A-levels, it shows you did more than just look at my threads, you also looked at my posts. Originally, I never even mentioned having an interview. You are the one who started bringing my stats into this.

I also never used my stats to elevate me and put me on a higher status. I simply stated that certain people were being arrogant and bitter about their rejection. Which is true, trying to belittle others by saying they have better grades and are more deserving of a place isn't exactly humble is it?

I wasn't being arrogant either, I was just using appropriate evidence to counteract your claim of coming across as not being empathetic.

Please enlighten me to how it was for my benefit? And how it wasn't for the benefit of your ego by suggesting you guys should have had a place because of certain stats.
You have mentioned that me having better stats doesn't make me any more of a better medical student although you cannot justify getting a rejection because people with worse stats than you lot have been given an interview. You cannot say anything I have said is hypocritical at all.
Was yours on Tuesday? What time slot was your interview? Mine was the middle group :smile:
Exeter did read the personal statement, and even if they didn't my other universities do so my point stands.

My motives behind it are irrelevant and for u to come up with stupid assumptions is quite immature.

My comment was more targeted at a specific person and the people joining in with them. Nothing towards the people who were humble about their rejection.

I never mentioned my GCSEs or A-levels, it shows you did more than just look at my threads, you also looked at my posts. Originally, I never even mentioned having an interview. You are the one who started bringing my stats into this.

I also never used my stats to elevate me and put me on a higher status. I simply stated that certain people were being arrogant and bitter about their rejection. Which is true, trying to belittle others by saying they have better grades and are more deserving of a place isn't exactly humble is it?

I wasn't being arrogant either, I was just using appropriate evidence to counteract your claim of coming across as not being empathetic.

Please enlighten me to how it was for my benefit? And how it wasn't for the benefit of your ego by suggesting you guys should have had a place because of certain stats.
You have mentioned that me having better stats doesn't make me any more of a better medical student although you cannot justify getting a rejection because people with worse stats than you lot have been given an interview. You cannot say anything I have said is hypocritical at all.

If you actually read my posts you would know I'm not saying I deserved an interview or that I had superior stats (I'm in tier 3) but that the system Exeter operates is flawed for a number of reasons which I detailed. It was not my 'safe option' as there is no such thing in medicine application tbh. And what I actually said is not that you couldn't be a very good medical student because you had good grades, just that there's no correlation between a person having more A*s at A2 and being a better doctor - at which point Exeter's selection process comes under question, not you.

Secondly, I have a pretty decent memory so certain posts stand out while I read them (i.e on the Bristol thread where I also applied) and one of them is you saying you have '14A*s and C in year 9 Italian :frown:' at GCSE and as I stated above, I'm only assuming you had 3A*s as you received and interview - that was not me looking at your posts, that's called using logic.

Lastly, say what you want about not targeting your comment to people being humble about their rejection (whatever tf that means??) the wording you used repeatedly calling people 'bitter' and 'arrogant' was rude, and inappropriate and it was not your place to tell others how to react to receiving bad news. It was insensitive and made you seem lacking in empathy. I said that this was for your benefit because it's ok to make mistakes and say the wrong thing sometimes - it doesn't make you a bad person, but only when you acknowledge you could have said something better and apologise for the effect of what you said had on people. You may feel attacked by our posts and your automatic reaction has been to be defensive instead of taking a step back and realising a very basic notion - nobody is perfect and you could have phrased yourself much better or not said anything at all.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by etorWehSredruM
Just to try and present a different perspective for people on this post, for those of your who are complaining about the lack of transparency in Exeter's selection strategy, do u have evidence to prove that other universities have completely stuck by their selection criteria also? Would it be fair to say some of your are making these claims about Exeter based on irrational emotions (which I totally understand where you are coming from) ?

If you consider the number of people who have commented about not getting an interview but actually have the stats, you only represent a very very very small % of the possible sample group therefore making your case quite insignificant. (And don't try and say I am not being empathetic, I am simply try to present a more logical perspective that any prospective science student should try to do)

Also just a bit of theory crafting here: I think I remember reading somewhere that in your rejection email Exeter mentioned about reading personal statement but not having scored them? Well how do u guys propose a PS can be scored, on what grounds can u put a value on someone's personal feelings? And the fact that they even mentioned about reading them might suggest that it was perhaps used to consider who they would ask for interviews?

Lastly I just want to say that this isn't the first time Exeter has recruited for a medicine degree, they know what to look for and what they are doing and it's not really our job to second guess their professionalism. The fact that some people are claiming any university offering a medicine degree could be considered their "safe" choice is frankly slightly delusional, medicine graduates from any university would have to be approved by the same governing board in the end to be eligible to practise so they are in principle all just as good at each other.

I know the last paragraph might seem a little targeted at certain individuals but that is only because most of the opinions/comments are coming from them, so it's nothing personal, it's simply because your voices are the only ones that can be replied to.

Actually what I meant when I said that for some this medical school was a 'safe' choice was that it was relatively safe (/very likely) for them to get an interview at compared to their other choices that are more risky (like for those you have to do the bmat for/ places where you are just on the cut off with their point system/ places like Bristol where there are about 17 per place and there's a high emphasis on the personal statement). In general it is usually advised to have 2 'safe' choices and 2 risky ones (or in the 3:1 ratio is even better) so that you increase your chances of getting an interview.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending