The Student Room Group

Biomedical science or human biology?

I've always been interested in science from a young age particularly biology. I have to start applying to unis soon and to be honest I don't know what degree to do. When I was in high school I always thought I wanted to be a vet and got quite a lot of work experience in that area. However, I don't want to do veterinary medicine anymore and would prefer a biology related degree.

What I would like advice on is what degree would be better to take. Biomedical science involves a career spent in a laboratory while I feel there is more options career wise taking a degree in human biology?

Any advice would be appreciated as I am really stuck on what to do:K:
Original post by justkirst
I've always been interested in science from a young age particularly biology. I have to start applying to unis soon and to be honest I don't know what degree to do. When I was in high school I always thought I wanted to be a vet and got quite a lot of work experience in that area. However, I don't want to do veterinary medicine anymore and would prefer a biology related degree.

What I would like advice on is what degree would be better to take. Biomedical science involves a career spent in a laboratory while I feel there is more options career wise taking a degree in human biology?

Any advice would be appreciated as I am really stuck on what to do:K:

Biomedical science doesn't have to involve working in a lab your whole life there are loads of things you can do! You can take MSc or conversion courses if you fancy something different after. They are very similar courses anyway, have a look at the modules and decide what you would enjoy more. I did biomedical science so any questions about that feel free to ask
Reply 2
Original post by Physflop
Biomedical science doesn't have to involve working in a lab your whole life there are loads of things you can do! You can take MSc or conversion courses if you fancy something different after. They are very similar courses anyway, have a look at the modules and decide what you would enjoy more. I did biomedical science so any questions about that feel free to ask

Thank you for replying to me. I was looking at the modules there and I feel like biomed has more options in terms of a wide range of modules to choose from once you progress each year. I'm about to be taught all about applications and personal statements over these next couple weeks, have you any advice for applying to biomedical science?
Original post by justkirst
Thank you for replying to me. I was looking at the modules there and I feel like biomed has more options in terms of a wide range of modules to choose from once you progress each year. I'm about to be taught all about applications and personal statements over these next couple weeks, have you any advice for applying to biomedical science?

Just make sure you relate your strengths to the qualities needed to do the course so teamwork and leadership are valuable in lab work and in group presentations, you can work independently which is needed for research project and most theoretical learning etc. biomed is pretty simple to apply for, my personal statement wasn't exactly outstanding I just had lots of things like d of e, hockey team captain, sports prefect so they could see I was a well rounded person and I got 5 offers :smile:
Both degrees lead to a range of careers so look at modules and choose the one that interests you more.

Your PS should mainly be about why you want to study the subject and what specifically interests you about it. Extra curriculars should focus on relevant transferable skills gained and should only be about 100 words. If you're applying for accredited biomed courses you may want to think about getting some work experience but it isn't essential.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending