The Student Room Group

Factor theorem using calculator

In my p2&p3 book, there are problem examples where they teach you how to find factors of polynomials through calculations and trial&error. But the factors can be easily calculated using a calculator. Can't i just do that? or will the examiner deduct marks if i don't show any working as to how i got my answer...
Reply 1
It is always on the mark scheme - the method used to find factors of a polynomial so it's best to do it that way so that you pick up as many marks as possible even if you get the answer wrong. Sometimes though you still get full marks without showing working but it's still best to just in case.
Original post by Askeladd
In my p2&p3 book, there are problem examples where they teach you how to find factors of polynomials through calculations and trial&error. But the factors can be easily calculated using a calculator. Can't i just do that? or will the examiner deduct marks if i don't show any working as to how i got my answer...

Do you mean that your calculator has a function that allows you to input the polynomial and it gives you the roots straight away? Unless the question is only worth one mark, you're going to be expected to show a method, which you can't do if you simply use your calculator. You should use your calculator for checking that you've found the factors correctly, not for finding them.
Reply 3
Well, thank you both for helping me out. I just started p1&p3 and did not touch the QPs i dont know if i have show those methods. So i am reluctant to learn the methods of knowing which types numbers are possible factors and then using trial&error.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending