The Student Room Group

Wont know anyone at College ?!?

Hi,

I'm going to college in a couple of days, I will not know anyone there....
is it easy to make friends?

how long did it take you to make friends ?

thanks.
Reply 1
It's either easy or difficult to make friends depending on you. If you put yourself out there and communicate with people, it will be easier. If you're like me and you keep yourself to yourself and don't talk to anyone then it will be harder.

Don't be scared to make friends, now that i look back at college, i wish i made more friends cos this holiday was friendless for me
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by money-for-all
Hi,

thanks.

Stop worrying
Original post by money-for-all
Hi,

thanks.

Aww, bless. No need to worry so much. Everyone else will be a little nervous too. :smile:
I always found it relatively easy to make friends. I knew one person who went to my college. Took me, like, a day to talk to a couple of other people and they ended up being the group I hung around with for my whole time at college

Just talk to a couple of people in your classes, even if it's something you find hard - that's even more reason to make yourself do it!

I'm sure you'll be fine, though! :biggrin:
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by KittKatt
Aww, bless. No need to worry so much. Everyone else will be a little nervous too. :smile:
I always found it relatively easy to make friends. I knew one person who went to my college. Took me, like, a day to talk to a couple of other people and they ended up being the group I hung around with for my whole time at college

Just talk to a couple of people in your classes, even if it's something you find hard - that's even more reason to make yourself do it!

I'm sure you'll be fine, though! :biggrin:

Sorry I cant give you a rep , I have already gave you a rep before that's why I think it wont let me.

But thanks for the support, appreciate it :smile:
Try to change your mindset. Don't think of it as ''Oh no! I won't know anyone.''

Think of it as ''I am going to have lots of new and interesting friends in just a couple of weeks.''
It can be easy to make friends, I guess. Look for people with similar interests. For instance, if you love doctor who and see someone with a tardis on their t-shirt, talk to them. If someone has the same bag as you, talk to them. If someone mentions being a vegetarian and you're one too... well, you get the picture.
Join enrichments, talk to people sitting near you, if you have to do any icebreaker activities try to make yourself seem interesting (i.e. talk about like, quitting smoking or writing guitar songs or whatever rather than having a pet dog), at break times try to stick with people who don't seem to know anyone (and if it turns out they do know people then like, that's even more prospective friends). If you find yourself walking in the same direction as someone else from your class after a lesson, spark a conversation with them by asking where they're going (and what their name is, what their subjects are, if they have a job, what they want to do after college, etc.). If you have no-one to sit with at lunch, find someone else with no-one and sit with them. If you have Facebook, try friending people. Most of all, just join clubs and try not to worry. Chances are you'll find someone. Good luck :shades:

Quick Reply

Latest