The Student Room Group

Expired Passport as ID for freshers.

I applied for a Citizencard about a month ago but hadn't heard anything so last week I called up and was basically told to resubmit my application and wait, and got told it would take the 21 days again, so now I'm left without a proper ID except from an expired passport.

It's only about three months out of date, will this be okay to get into freshers events? I got the wristband too but people are saying that you need an ID as well as the wristband to get into places.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by InkedPage
I applied for a Citizencard about a month ago but hadn't heard anything so last week I called up and was basically told to resubmit my application and wait, and got told it would take the 21 days again, so now I'm left without a proper ID except from an expired passport.

It's only about three months out of date, will this be okay to get into freshers events? I got the wristband too but people are saying that you need an ID as well as the wristband to get into places.

most places will generally want current id really, have you got a driving license?
I'd try and get a new one, you'll need a valid ID for registration anyway. I think it's about £30 more for the 1 week fast track service
Reply 3
Original post by claireestelle
most places will generally want current id really, have you got a driving license?

No, unfortunately. If this was my own lack of action I'd accept it but I've waited a full month and then got told I wouldn't get a refund and I'd have to redo the whole 21 day process...I'm more than a little p*ssed off with it all.
Reply 4
Original post by Helloworld_95
I'd try and get a new one, you'll need a valid ID for registration anyway. I think it's about £30 more for the 1 week fast track service

I was told a bank card was enough and I've already enrolled online for university. I know about the £30 option but I'm a bit reluctant after paying £15 and this happening, I don't want to fork out more money and have the same thing happen. :/
Bad idea. My mate has a citizencard too and it doesn't work very well for clubs and bars. Get a provisional driving licence, they work a lot better and the price has gone down recently.
No, unfortunately. If this was my own lack of action I'd accept it but I've waited a full month and then got told I wouldn't get a refund and I'd have to redo the whole 21 day process...I'm more than a little p*ssed off with it all.

I would bare in mind that in some specific places they might not accept citizen cards, most nightclubs are fine but for instance iceland won't take them so would be worth getting your passport reviewed at some point when you can anyway.
Reply 7
Original post by the1akshay
Bad idea. My mate has a citizencard too and it doesn't work very well for clubs and bars. Get a provisional driving licence, they work a lot better and the price has gone down recently.

Really? How long would it take to get a provisional license and what would I need?
Really? How long would it take to get a provisional license and what would I need?

to get your first it would take at least 3 weeks
you need a passport or birth certificate to confirm ID and then utility bill/college card/ NI number/ p45 or p60 to confirm your residency
Reply 9
Original post by SamuelSingleton
to get your first it would take at least 3 weeks
you need a passport or birth certificate to confirm ID and then utility bill/college card/ NI number/ p45 or p60 to confirm your residency

Unfortunately time is the issue...I only have two weeks now otherwise I'd go for the provisional license now since I've heard people say the citizen card doesn't always work.
don't bother with a Citizen Card. i had one and literally nowhere took it. might as well get a provisional or something instead. mine came really quickly :smile:
Reply 11
As someone who only has a Citizen Card and is going to Uni in 8 days... I'm not a big fan of this thread
my friend gets served with an expired passport but then again never seen how it works with clubs
Reply 13
Original post by em211997
my friend gets served with an expired passport but then again never seen how it works with clubs

Yeah, I might take it anyway. I mean it only just expired this August (I mistakenly thought it was next August until I checked it) so it's not like it's years out of date and the picture is clearly me.

Original post by Frithy
As someone who only has a Citizen Card and is going to Uni in 8 days... I'm not a big fan of this thread

I know I made this thread but same here. I bit the bullet and applied for an urgent citizencard and will have it all signed and posted for Wednesday it says it takes three business days including a next day delivery so if I'm leaving the Friday a week and a half after that Wednesday I should have it (if nothing else messes up).
I was told a bank card was enough and I've already enrolled online for university. I know about the £30 option but I'm a bit reluctant after paying £15 and this happening, I don't want to fork out more money and have the same thing happen. :/

A bank card is never adequate ID.

The only universally accepted ID is a full or provisional driving licence or a passport. Citizencards are frequently turned down, even in places that claim to accept them.

You may as well just get a provisional licence - it's not that expensive, and if you ever intend to drive you'll need to get one eventually anyway.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Unfortunately time is the issue...I only have two weeks now otherwise I'd go for the provisional license now since I've heard people say the citizen card doesn't always work.

Original post by Frithy

Id apply for a provisional license you will need one anyway if you plan to learn to drive plus much more widely accepted,

Used to work in a Tescos and I know we didnt accept citizen cards for buying alcohol there so not sure if that is the same in other shops and if that would be a problem for you
My friend's passport expired in May and she's been using it to get into clubs, they let her in with no questions. She also uses it to buy drinks and other things and not had a problem so far. My boyfriend also uses an expired passport to get into clubs.

I'd find out where your freshers events are being held and call up the venue and ask if they'll accept an expired passport, afterall its still you.
Reply 17
Original post by Origami Bullets
A bank card is never adequate ID.

The only universally accepted ID is a full or provisional driving licence or a passport. Citizencards are frequently turned down, even in places that claim to accept them.

You may as well just get a provisional licence - it's not that expensive, and if you ever intend to drive you'll need to get one eventually anyway.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I know it's not adequate ID in most cases, but they were specifically talking about registering with the uni - which I have done already with a bank card. And I realise that I should get a provisional licence, and I will do once I have the money to, but as I said time is an issue here and I just won't get the provisional in time when it take 3+ weeks to get.
Reply 18
Original post by fieldy_xo
My friend's passport expired in May and she's been using it to get into clubs, they let her in with no questions. She also uses it to buy drinks and other things and not had a problem so far. My boyfriend also uses an expired passport to get into clubs.

I'd find out where your freshers events are being held and call up the venue and ask if they'll accept an expired passport, afterall its still you.

Yeah, that sounds like a good idea. I'll probably get in contact with the student's union and ask them as the majority of the events are run through them (and they'll probably know where to direct me). It is reassuring to know than an expired passport can work in some cases though and I'll definitely take it along with me. Thanks for the advice :smile:
The chances of them even checking your DoB is about 1/5, and them checking the expiry date is another matter. Your DoB doesn't change just because the passport has expired, anyhow. I get into most nightclubs just with my student ID.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending